EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

Extremely important win for Liverpool today, and you could see it in Gerrards reaction. If there's any guy in the Premier League who deserves to win it, it's gotta be that guy.

Very interesting end to the season, Liverpool - Chelsea is going to be intense. And City are going up against Everton, who have been in fantastic form recently.

Gerrard's team hug at the end was very indicative of desire to win the title, they want it!

I was all nerves throughout the game.

Man City did play very well at times to be fair and probably desreved a draw.
But a couple of defensive errors and some misses by the strikers, meant they got nothing.

Norwich have Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal, as their last four games.
They are currently just two points above the drop zone and aren't playing well.

Oooops!

:smile:

Well, Arsenal have gotten the results of a bottom 4 team recently, so at least they can take comfort in that.. :p

Well, Arsenal have gotten the results of a bottom 4 team recently, so at least they can take comfort in that.. :p

Well, here's something to cheer the Gunner's fans on FG.

Tuesday 15th April 2014

Arsenal 3-1 West Ham

Arsenal back up to fourth place, with Everton playing Wednesday night.

The top is as exciting as the bottom. ...

Yes, it is this year for the neutrals.

.. also, I have a sneeky feeling that Norwich may win one and draw one of their last four games. That or something else weird will happen which no-one was expecting.

From Yesterday:

The top is as exciting as the bottom. ...

That or something else weird will happen which no-one was expecting.

From Today:

Wednesday 16th April 2014
Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace

Man City 2-2 Sunderland

Tony Pulis has saved Crystal Palace, they have reached "the magic 40 points".
At about Christmas time, Palace looked doomed, having lost 9 out of 10 of the first games of the season or 25% of the matches. (Edit: .. and were BOTTOM of the EPL.) Also, they have allowed Arsenal to stay in fourth place at Everton's expense.

Having lost narrowly to Liverpool at the weekend, Man City need a good reuslt & performance. They were two goals up and then only drew with bottom of the league Sunderland. Well done Gus & the Black Cats!

Man C still have one game in hand, but are now more than three points behind Chelsea & Liverpool.

"Squeaky-Bum-Time" continues its fun in the EPL! :lol:

Last edited:
Tony Pulis has just transformed Crystal Palace completely. I may not be a fan of his style, but there is absolutely no doubt that this man knows what he is doing.

City's loss means that any faint (unrealistic) hope I had of Chelsea focusing slightly more on the Champion's League at the cost of the EPL is now gone. Chelsea and Liverpool's fate is in their own hands with them having to play each other. What a fantastic end to the season, no matter what happens.

Slightly OT: Similar things happening in La Liga. It's been a good year for Football (being a Bayern fan as well, you see :))

Tony Pulis has just transformed Crystal Palace completely. I may not be a fan of his style, but there is absolutely no doubt that this man knows what he is doing.

He should be a contender for coach of the year, if the norm wasn't to give it to one of the top teams.

City's loss means that any faint (unrealistic) hope I had of Chelsea focusing slightly more on the Champion's League at the cost of the EPL is now gone. Chelsea and Liverpool's fate is in their own hands with them having to play each other. What a fantastic end to the season, no matter what happens.

Very interesting end to the season, indeed. I have no idea what ....

Slightly OT: Similar things happening in La Liga. It's been a good year for Football (being a Bayern fan as well, you see :))

DBL Thread next season, perhaps? :think:

Had something like four points when he took over. Now they have forty!

Last edited:
I like Sunderland (and Mike Dean). Here's hoping they'll stay up.

Saturday 19th April 2014

Tottenham 3-1 Fulham
Aston Villa 0-0 Southampton
Cardiff 1-1 Stoke
Newcastle 1-2 Swansea

West Ham 0-1 Crystal Palace
Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland

Felix is still confident that Fulham will stay up, they played well at times against Spurs, but their defence is terrible with the worst GD of the bottom teams. Erikson was the bestof the Spurs players and their best transfer buy this season.

A late pen gave Swansea a welcome away win and Newcastle did score too, but the Toon fans were not impressed. Pardew not long for this club, methinks.

I like Sunderland (and Mike Dean). Here's hoping they'll stay up.

Maybe they will or at least one of the bottom four will get away from it.
Chelsea had quiet performance for some reason, nerves maybe. They were a bit unlucky to give away a stupid pen right at the end. Altidore was going nowhere and about to do nothing.

No wonder Jose went a bit mental at the press conference, it was funny though and he can't get fined for sarcasm. This is England, it was invented here!

Sunday 20th April 2014

Norwich 2-3 Liverpool
Hull 0-3 Arsenal
Everton 2-0 Man U

Norwich played well, but only after Liverpool had pretty much won the game. Liverpool had their usual rapid start and were two up in minutes.

Arsenal much better with Ramsey & Ozil both back, looked very good again and too good for Hull, who are almost safe anyway.

Man U had lots of possession, but didn't do very much. Rooney was quiet and Everton played well enough, but weren't great either.

EDIT: BBC said that Liverpool have now qualified for the UCL and will finish in at least third place. The main objective of the season has been achieved.

.. and Everton have not done the double over Man U since the 1960s or something!

Last edited:
The latest in the rumourmill is that Moyes is definitely going to be the sack. Whether it's going to be today/in season or in the off season, remains to be seen. Seems like Giggs will be interim manager if the sack looms immediately.

I feel this should have been done in January, in order to salvage United's season, and all rivalries aside, I do feel for united fans, because when Moyes was hired, it smelled like Roy Hodgson at Liverpool all over again. Lets hope you guys get a suitable manager to properly replace Sir Alex.

As for Liverpool, I would take a tie against Chelsea, and two wins against palace and Newcastle, right now. I don't see Chelsea losing two league games on the trot.

All three of our next games are super tough compared to Norwich, and we struggled against Norwich after getting the early lead. Just have to hold on a little bit longer, COME ON YOU REDS!

Not a fan of sacking someone after just one year. 6 months? That's just idiotic. Moyes has some of the responsibility on how the season has gone, but not even close to all of it. There is no point in sacking Moyes right now. Won't make any difference what so ever to anything. However, when the season is over you can take your time and evaluate the season and with cool heads make a decision if Moyes should stay or go.

^
Not heard of any serious rumours about David Moyes going, not really the Man U style I think.

I'm sure the Owners, Board and Sir Alex chose him very carefully and they would all look pretty silly to sack him so soon.

Monday 21st April 2014

Man City 3-1 West Brom

Expected result and now only one point behind Chelsea with a game in hand.

Hmmm. :think:

Not a fan of sacking someone after just one year. 6 months? That's just idiotic. Moyes has some of the responsibility on how the season has gone, but not even close to all of it. There is no point in sacking Moyes right now. Won't make any difference what so ever to anything. However, when the season is over you can take your time and evaluate the season and with cool heads make a decision if Moyes should stay or go.

I see your point but there is also an argument that a replacement needs to be found and settled before the transfer window opens. The job was always too big for Moyes - I had reservations when he was named as the new manager.

As to who they will get in to replace him who knows. I still feel they should have tried to get Mourinho but now he has gone back to Chelsea I don't see that being an option.

^
Not heard of any serious rumours about David Moyes going, not really the Man U style I think.

I'm sure the Owners, Board and Sir Alex chose him very carefully and they would all look pretty silly to sack him so soon.

Monday 21st April 2014

Man City 3-1 West Brom

Expected result and now only one point behind Chelsea with a game in hand.

Hmmm. :think:

Goodbye Moyes. ... (I wonder how much Utd. paid him to get bought out of his 6 year contract?)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27107795

I seem to recall that Sir Alex took a bit of time to get his team up and running as he wanted. ...

Cobol, that is true, however, unlike Moyes, Alex did not take over a championship winning team, nor DOES he have a track record of winning anything before joining United, like Mr Alex did.

Last edited:
Actually he won the European Cup and several other trophies when he was the manager of Aberdeen.

I totally misworded my comment completely, typing it in a hurry. Not having won anything was referring to Moyes, not Alex!

(Fixed the offending post)

Ah with you now.

The latest in the rumourmill is that Moyes is definitely going to be the sack. Whether it's going to be today/in season or in the off season, remains to be seen. Seems like Giggs will be interim manager if the sack looms immediately.

I feel this should have been done in January, in order to salvage United's season, and all rivalries aside, I do feel for united fans, because when Moyes was hired, it smelled like Roy Hodgson at Liverpool all over again. Lets hope you guys get a suitable manager to properly replace Sir Alex.

Wow, way to go Nostradamus! A good call, have some Footie related reppages!

^

Well they do look a bit silly now. They had many years to manage the sucession planning and they've cocked it up big style.

It wasn't like Sir Alex wasn't going to retire sometime.

I see your point but there is also an argument that a replacement needs to be found and settled before the transfer window opens. The job was always too big for Moyes - I had reservations when he was named as the new manager.

As to who they will get in to replace him who knows. I still feel they should have tried to get Mourinho but now he has gone back to Chelsea I don't see that being an option.

Who is your favourite and or the favourite of the Man U fans?

.. and how is Carlos Queiroz viewed at the club? He is Coach of the Iran National team until after the World Cup.

BBC Sport said:
Netherlands coach Louis Van Gaal, Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp, Atletico Madrid's manager Diego Simeone and Paris St-Germain's Laurent Blanc have already been tipped as possible successors.

However, Klopp has ruled himself out of the job, the 46-year-old telling The Guardian: "Man Utd is a great club and I feel very familiar with their wonderful fans. But my commitment to Borussia Dortmund and the people is not breakable."

The Daily Telegraph suggest United will make discreet moves to see if Pep Guardiola can be persuaded to leave Bayern Munich.

It probably does need to be a coach with a lot of UCL experience and preferrably one who has actually won it as well. That was a weakness in the Moyes case for sure, but it was the EPL form which was really poor for Man U this season, by their standards.

:think: