EPL 2013/14 - The English Premier League Thread

I think they should have grabbed Mourinho while they had the chance. I know he has always said he loves Chelsea and that was the only place he would go if and when he returned to the EPL but I and many others remain convinced that is a steaming pile. Given his track record and his burning desire to succeed I don't believe for a second that he would have turned down what is, in the final analysis, the biggest job in football management. And then he wouldn't have made such a Horlicks in the transfer market and United would have been in a much stronger position, perhaps not league winner this season but certain Champions' League qualifiers.

Louis Van Gaal is currently the bookies' favourite at 11/4. Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp have publicly distanced themselves from the position today although I reckon the latter could do a job given time and a decent war chest (rumoured to be ?150m) although no ECL football next season might put off some of their best targets.

I see no reason why Giggs can't do a decent job either. He spent all his career under SAF although looking at the remaining fixtures results could flatter him - Norwich, Sunderland, Hull and Southampton. BBC Sport just reported that Giggs isn't under consideration for the job long term and that the club is looking for an experienced manager with a track record but working alongside someone like Van Gaal might groom Giggs sufficiently for the top post in the future.

^
Was that a no for Carlos Queiroz from you then? He will be in Brasil anyway, where there will be a lot of horse-trading going on for players' transfers. I would guess that all the top European coaches will be at the World Cup at some point (and Owners & CEOs too), to see some games and have some meetings.

Maybe Giggsy can sell off Fellaini during the World Cup as it hasn't worked for him at Man U, assuming he makes the Belgium squad.

:smile:

The interesting thing is that LvG is also going to be at the world cup with The Netherlands team as well, so any appointment of his would have to be done after. Or rather, if he were appointed, he wouldn't start till after the WC

They need to appoint the new manager ASAP and make it a good selection. Even if it's LvG he will have a few weeks before heading to Brazil and purely by his reputation it will smooth the way for tempting some of United's top targets.

Van Gaal seems most likely in my opinion. And even if he is completely insane, he is very good at his job, and probably pretty close to what United need right now. Van Gaal has been heavily rumoured at Tottenham as well, they'd be dissapointed if he went to United instead :)

Aye, Tottenham wants him, but he has been dragging his feet, probably waiting for a chance to coach United. And he seem to be the man that United needs right now. If you look at Bayern and Barcelona, it all started with Van Gaal.

Now, regarding Moyes. Things are starting to surface so it will be interesting to follow the next few days what happens. From what I have gathered so far is that that Moyes is a real stand up guy. But, ultimately, he didn't have enough skill to deal with a club that demands victory in every game. I feel bad for Moyes, but I am also glad he is gone. I've been trying to tell people that there is a bigger picture you have to look at if you want to know why things have gone the way it has gone. It's not one mans fault, but in the end, he is a part of that fault. And you fix that fault, you have to start at the easy part. Replacing the manager with someone that is hopefully better.

Well said Toby. If you read some of the press reports though he lost the dressing room months ago. LvG and a big kitty to overhaul the squad is what is needed right now.

From the stories coming out, it seems he never had the dressing room.

There evidently two parts to the story; Moyes doesn't have what it takes to manage a club like United, and some of the United players are stuck up snobs. Major clean up in the team is needed. Not just to get rid of footballing dead weight, but also to get rid of some of the huuge egos that seem to have accumulated at that club.

From the stories coming out, it seems he never had the dressing room.

That sort of concurs with what I've read elsewhere too. An initial problem of getting rid of the "backroom staff" and replacing them with his own people. It seems the players didn't take to this much, but that's third hand info at best and possibly cobblers.

:?

A LvG & Roy Keane duo would be entertaining

Ferguson won't accept that anyway.

Looks like they plan on getting a short term manager that can bring short term success while Giggs is getting groomed for the job in 3 years time. Could be interesting. Hear good things about Giggs leadership skills and he has been at the club and knows everything inside out for ages. I'm very excited to see how the team performs tomorrow

A LvG & Roy Keane duo would be entertaining

I don't think Roy Keane will be the right choice for assistant Coach, there are too many other former Man U players with more experience and less of a temper. Gordon Strachan, Steve Bruce and even OGS for example.
(They shouldn't be put up for the main job, because they have no success record in the UCL.)

Ferguson won't accept that anyway.

Looks like they plan on getting a short term manager that can bring short term success while Giggs is getting groomed for the job in 3 years time. Could be interesting. Hear good things about Giggs leadership skills and he has been at the club and knows everything inside out for ages. I'm very excited to see how the team performs tomorrow

Man Utd play down Louis van Gaal appointment claim - BBC Sport

This story was trailed on both the main BBC News and the football program today. (He is also the bookies' favourite.)

Sounds like a deal is in the offing, maybe? :think:

First time all season I have been looking forward to watch a game and what a pleasant watch it was! Lots of energy, pace and forward movement made it enjoyable to see. Granted, Norwich is not in the greatest form at the moment, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole feel and play of the team was great! Hope this continues in the next 3 games

Van Gaal seems most likely in my opinion. And even if he is completely insane, he is very good at his job, and probably pretty close to what United need right now. Van Gaal has been heavily rumoured at Tottenham as well, they'd be dissapointed if he went to United instead :)

:dunno:

LvG hasn't been exceedingly popular during his stint as Dutch national coach. Consistently made strange some strange team choices.

Saturday 26th April 2014

Southampton 2-0 Everton
Fulham 2-2 Hull
Stoke 0-1 Tottenham
Swansea 4-1 Aston Villa

West Brom 1-0 West Ham
Man Utd 4-0 Norwich

First time all season I have been looking forward to watch a game and what a pleasant watch it was! Lots of energy, pace and forward movement made it enjoyable to see. Granted, Norwich is not in the greatest form at the moment, but that doesn't change the fact that the whole feel and play of the team was great! Hope this continues in the next 3 games

Man U were clearly playing with more enthusiasm and drive. A good morale building result, which could lead to improved performance levels in the remaining three games. It could be a very good place to be in when this season ends and help whoever starts in charge next season. (BBC Sport reported that van Gaal would include Giggs and Ruud van Nistelrooy in his coaching staff next year. Anyone got more on this or is it nonesense?) And Norwich do not look like they are going to get any more points this season.

Everton looked tired yesterday and the Saints won the game quite comfortably. Both goals were og's, but were caused by Southampton pressure.

Fulham dealt themselves a severe morale blow, by giving up a two goal lead when they were play quite well. Maybe the last hurrah for Fulham?

Ugly game at Stoke at times, with "Broadway" Danny Rose scoring the winner. He was then involved in the sending off of Stoke Captain Shawcross. Thereafter the Stoke players and crowd were winding him up, but Coach Sherwood wisely subbed him off before thing got even uglier.

Sunday 27th April 2014

Sunderland 4-0 Cardiff
Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea
Crystal Palace 0-2 Man C

Last edited:
Too bad with Liverpool. Pretty heartbreaking if it's a Gerrard mistake that'll cost them the Premier League.

Man U were clearly playing with more enthusiasm and drive. A good morale building result, which could lead to improved performance levels in the remaining three games. It could be a very good place to be in when this season ends and help whoever starts in charge next season. (BBC Sport reported that van Gaal would include Giggs and Ruud van Nistelrooy in his coaching staff next year. Anyone got more on this or is it nonesense?)

Don't know, first it was a dutch newspaper that "confirmed" that van Gaal was the new United manager and today an english newspaper "confirmed" that van Gaal is coming to the club and is going to keep the Class of 92 as his assistants.
United themselves have not confirmed or said anything of this yet. But then again, they won't until everything is sorted. But I am watching the rumors relatively closely.

In other news, this made me laugh
10277699_1026957384011144_1269017565065302815_n.jpg

Too bad with Liverpool. Pretty heartbreaking if it's a Gerrard mistake that'll cost them the Premier League.

Very clever tactics again from Jose. Slowing the game down from the start and frustrating Liverpool, but the defensive plan was perfectly executed by the players. A couple of chances were put away very well and Chelsea to get the win. Liverpool barely had a goal chance until the second half.

.. and well done to Gus and Sunderland, out of the bottom three with a game in hand. The "miracle" seems to be happening.

Don't know, first it was a dutch newspaper that "confirmed" that van Gaal was the new United manager and today an english newspaper "confirmed" that van Gaal is coming to the club and is going to keep the Class of 92 as his assistants.
United themselves have not confirmed or said anything of this yet. But then again, they won't until everything is sorted. But I am watching the rumors relatively closely.

Correct, Man U won't say anything until the contracts are signed. The BBC only mentioned Giggs to stay, not all four of them. Also, apparently Tottenham were looking or hoping to sign LvG this summer.