EPL 2014/15 - The English Premier League Thread

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
Just a few weeks left until the 14/15 season, lets start the new thread with the surprise signing of the season, I am ecstatic!!

:eek::woot::bow::thumbsup:

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/drogba-signs.html

drogba-signs.img.png

Saturday 16th August 2014

Arsenal V Crystal Palace
Man Utd V Swansea
Leicester V Everton
QPR V Hull
Stoke V Aston Villa
West Brom V Sunderland
West Ham V Tottenham

Sunday 17th August 2014

Liverpool V Southampton
Newcastle V Man City

Monday 18th August 2014

Burnley V Chelsea

Just a few weeks left until the 14/15 season, lets start the new thread with the surprise signing of the season, I am ecstatic!!

:eek::woot::bow::thumbsup:

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/drogba-signs.html

* snip Droga pic *

Well, I'm pleased to see "the Drog" back playing for Chelsea too and hope he can do a job for them with Costa. For me the real news is F?bregas is back in the EPL, which is no bad thing at all.

Southampton's dismantling of the team continues. 7 first team players gone...

Southampton's summer sales:
To Fee
Luke Shaw Manchester United ?27m
Adam Lallana Liverpool ?25m
Dejan Lovren Liverpool ?20m
Calum Chambers Arsenal ?16m
Rickie Lambert Liverpool ?4m

.. and the Coach Pochettino has moved to Spurs.

Southampton: How stability was replaced by doubt and uncertainty - BBC Sport

It must be a real bummer for the Saints fans, great if you are a shareholder in the club though! (Gareth Bale started at Southampton too.)

First win for Swansea at OT then, same old for Man Utd :(

Only saw the second half but they looked like they lacked creativity up front.

Happy New EPL Season everybody! :cheers:

First win for Swansea at OT then, same old for Man Utd :(

Only saw the second half but they looked like they lacked creativity up front.

Not a great result for Man U, for sure.

LvG introduced himeslf on the luchtime TV preview show, as lots of English journalists etc, seem to have trouble pronouncing his name. :rolleyes:

LvG phonetically:

Louis
Fan
Haal

.. I mean, how hard can it be? :p

Not gonna lie, I'm only here for Tim Howard.

He is a top GK for Everton, his opposite number today is a Schmeichel, Kasper son of Peter, who is not having such a good day so far. (EPL debut as well, I think?)

Brad Friedel is a top dude & GK as well, also he was part of the BBC World Cup summarisers this summer. :cool:

Hard to understand whats wrong with ManU, doesn't seem like this season is gonna be much better than the last.

Now lets see if Arsenal can convince and crush Palace.

I wouldn't judge the entire future season of a team based on one match.

How can Palace get rid of Tony P.? Insane. Arsenal were a tad lucky today and Palace tried very hard.

Last edited:
I wouldn't judge the entire future season of a team based on one match.

People did that with Arsenal last season after they lost to Aston Villa, they ended up having a decent season. Van Gaal is going to need some time to get the team playing like he wants them to, I think they'll do better. Plus, they have quite a few players out with injuries right now, and they've still got two weeks to make new signings.

How can Palace get rid of Tony P.? Insane. Arsenal were a tad lucky today and Palace tried very hard.

I think they're crazy too losing Tony Pulis. Maybe he has someting lined up to go to?
Both Arsenal and Spurs were a bit lucky to get the wins or Palace and West Ham were unlucky not to get at least a point. Liverpool didn't look that good winning either against the Saints, who were great despite all their sales of players.

Win when you aren't playing well, is a good sign for a team.

Pretty much every team played well with Man City looking the best and probably Man U the least impressive. Still early days for LvG.

No team looked particularly good of the games I saw, I guess it's just the first match back and squads still have to gel and settle down. Agree Man City looked ok but the score doesnt really reflect the fact that Newcastle held onto them for most of the game and were unlucky not to scrape a draw.

I agree, I thought the Saints did play well, but made a few too many mistakes (well two actually), still they played very classy football for long periods.

Nathaniel Clyne was pretty much unplayable all day. I was suprised that Brendan Rodgers picked Lucas and Gerrard to play together. I was hoping to see a little bit of Can, today. I think he reads the game better than Lucas, but then, Can didn't have the best game against Dortmund, so maybe that could be a reason.

Henderson just keeps getting better and better, and I'm happy to say I was completely wrong about him, when I wrote him off in his first season at Liverpool. Skrtel, still switches off way too often, and I would imagine that a third way into the season we will be seeing a rear guard partnership of Lovren and Sakho. Both Lovren and Manquillo were fantastic.

Liverpool still showed their tendency to start sitting back and inviting pressure later into the game, and they really need to remove this element from their game. 3 points were scraped, but the team needs to do better.

Southampton did fantastically well considering they lost so much of their team. I'm glad about this, because even as a Liverpool fan, I am not happy with how we basically led the way in marauding that team. I hope they do well this season, because they are a fantastic team to watch.