Eric Stromer flips his Camry Hybrid

Jmiller

Car(s)
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5
stromercrash.jpg

Writing about cars for a living is a great gig, but as we're sporadically reminded, not without its occasional dangers. Few know that as well as the guys on BBC's Top Gear, where Richard Hammond miraculously recovered from a spectacular 280+ mph jet-powered dragster crash and Clarkson was recently involved in a head-on collision on location. But with franchises being set up in Australia, Russia and the United States, we knew it was only a matter of time before one of the local hosts followed suite, but we didn't think it would be the pretty boy in the hybrid.

According to Stromer's account, he was rollin' down the street in Hollywood, sipping on gin and juice a "triple grande nonfat latte" in his Camry Hybrid when someone rear-ended him, flipping the Toyota up on its side, sliding 50 feet down the street and roof-first into a curbside palm tree. None of the airbags deployed (suprisingly) and People Magazine's "sexiest man alive" emerged unharmed, so our base audience of middle-aged women can rest easy. Meanwhile, given the incident, we're not sure if we feel better or worse about Stromer's role in the show, but at very least he's proven he can demolish puppy-tear-powered family sedans as well as he can drywall.

To listen to how Stromer was "raped in a Camry" on TG co-host Adam Corolla's radio program, click here. http://adam.freefm.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3094875

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/16/top-gear-usa-host-eric-stromer-flips-his-camry-hybrid/

First, thank god he's ok.

Second, justice. :D no top gear host should own a hybrid.... Time to get a viper eric!

Doesn't flipping imply at least one barrel roll?

Wtf kind of rear end was that? Did the driver happen to be doing 120mph?

Doesn't flipping imply at least one barrel roll?
Yeah, he just had a half-assed roll.

How hard do you have to be hit from behind to get flipped over? I'd like to see whoever hit him.

That's what you get for driving a hybrid.

So, umm, is it just me who saw the pic and thought two Camrys rolled side by side??

It is? Oh crap.

OH NO!!!

No, hang on, it's just a Camry Hybrid. Cool.

But seriously, how fast was the person that hit him going!?

All hybrids should be so fortunate.
Glad Stromer is okay...but...the fact that he was driving a Toyota hybrid makes me fear badly for how genuinely petrolhead he is.

One of TopGear USA's presenters is a triple grande non-fat latte sipping hybrid driver?!?:blink:

What... was Al Gore not available to host the show?:rolleyes:

Wow. That car is so lame it can't even be cool when you flip it, I just laughed D:

It would be fun if they destroyed hybrids with the same enthusiasm and frequency as they do on Top Gear UK.

Just a thought...

This is so odd.... So much of it doesn't add up, and I have to wonder what parts of the story we aren't hearing.

As stated above, how hard do you have to get hit to have your car not only roll on it's side, but slide 50 feet?

And then... how does the car end up with crumple damage on the hood - no where near either a) the rear end where the car was hit b) the side of the car which slid 50 feet.

The more I look at these pictures the stranger it gets.

I mean - Excluding the obvious fact that I'm looking at a Camry Hybrid.