Ownership Verified: Eunos Roadster 1991

Yeah, it is about 15cm too far right. Can't you see the danger it places other road users in?

I think I'll spray paint it red and try to turn it deeper into the bumper at some point.

...and experimented with Rubbercomp. I kinda like them black.
IMG-20160613-WA0016.jpeg

I don?t...
Sorry, I couldn?t resist myself :mrgreen:

Nice looking Miata anyways, hope you get the MOT-shit sorted out.

A blanking plate can probably be fashioned for the bumper easily enough?

DaBoom generously helped me change the timing belt and waterpump yesterday. It took 12 hours but we got it done :)

The old belt wasn't that bad despite its age (five years over due)
20160621_141033.jpg

Nice and clean in here. The car has seen regular oil changes during its life.
20160621_141036.jpg

Not so nice and not so clean down here. We changed the crank and camshaft oil seals because something gave us the feeling that the old ones have leaked a bit.
20160621_162012.jpg

I also changed the plugs and their leads.
20160621_141045.jpg

We got the job done by midnight. With us being tired and it being quite dark already we sort of missed tightening the lower alternator bolt :lol: I drove home and wondered why the new alternator belt was so worn. I then traced the belt down to the bolt hitting it, fetched a new nut from the hardware store and tightened it all back together. Now I need to order a new belt just to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, we figured that it has (had) an LSD since when hanging freely the rear wheels roll in the same direction. That, or the non-LSD is seriously broken :p

Last edited:
The wheel rotating trick isn't very reliable. Mine has LSD (installed it myself, so I'm pretty sure :lol:) and wheel rotate mostly in opposite direction. On the other hand, the torsen unit I've behaves differently to viscous LSD your car should have.

Anyway, good to see the car seems to be in good order! :)

We had a nice minimeet today. You could easily see the car being owned by one person for such a long time. Good reminder how fun a stock MX-5 is! :)

We had a nice minimeet today. You could easily see the car being owned by one person for such a long time. Good reminder how fun a stock MX-5 is! :)

Yours was an excellent way to try what a tastefully built MX-5 feels like. It has the exact ride height and cornering abilities I'm searching for on my Eunos.

I changed the gearbox and rear diff oils during the past weekend. The oil coming out wasn't that bad, both had been topped up in 2014, but now they're completely new. The rear diff side oil seal was leaking so we also changed that while the oil was out. After ~300km or so it's still dry, so it was a successful fix :)

Last edited:
Only a few things have happened with the car as I've mainly been thrashing it around. New lower ball joints and track rod ends will arrive next week, hoping that'll help with the not-so-accurate steering. I'll also order new coilovers soon.

Some things I've worked on since the last update, photographed with my very own potato:

There was quite a lot of surface rust under the driver door and behind the front wheel. I grinded as much of it as I could and then Hammerite'd the black parts and spray painted the red. It's not pretty but the car isn't in show room condition anyway, so that'll do for now. Unfortunately I forgot to take a before photo.
IMG-20160710-WA0004.jpeg

Then, as the rear fog light was illegal and above all, life threatenly dangerous :)P) I removed it. It's not needed in a 1991 car, so removing was easier than moving it.

I started from the front...
IMG-20160705-WA0032.jpeg

...and ended in the rear. Everything off.
IMG-20160705-WA0034.jpeg

Then, I went full race. I'm going to put fiber glass over that, sometime, but in the meanwhile this'll do.
IMG-20160709-WA0017.jpeg

The side blinkers were next.
20160709_125908.jpg

IMG-20160709-WA0015.jpeg

And finally I de-riced the pedals.
20160709_113847.jpg

20160709_122110.jpg

Like I said, coilovers and steering parts are next. I'm also waiting for the proof of weight from Mazda to see whether I'll have to put the car on a diet to get it legal in Fineland with two seats. The import tax was a mere 230? which is nice.

R.A. and a few other friends helped me work on the Eunos yesterday: we changed the lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends and also swapped on new coilovers. After giving it alot of thought I decided to go for D2 Street coilovers as nobody from gear.fi had tried them but the Internets said that they should be OK. The lower ball joints and tie rod ends were surprisingly easy to remove, in fact nothing had rusted on even with the suspension parts.

a2vYO2ifvm-AlMdWH6srhbUYTuMMJBpIJEI73vqhf24g1YfTi_zuSycm7U1AY7CKgYk6L6poOtmwOA=w1920-h1080-no

The day spent working on the Eunos was a day off from working on the Supra, sorry R.A.
3dXYsU8Zh3IaM4SSqvGMmKjSSyhKBl44m-qawIl4VlfIxYCs70eGUNcuhD8ea2h-t2cwKgXP_6RgRA=w1920-h1080-no

Now I'll never be lost again while walking around my car.
lSR3bwntWtaEmA8axYhfexQ9pvR54pMQCPJDzqLsr1JnnqFXPe2fMkGBTfVh3jXtKt0bfhUX-9r4eg=w1920-h1080-no

The end result, first with a before/after:

AJQwmJyHinO7ODOfKqUF0tHbXU0qnEeJP3Mg2IlIONktlLO4iECYebEdhMGrAjuB9y27enjuaApgBA=w1920-h1080-no

1ZMnIZOjUpTWnUH8Eug-8gtRgdYYTr22oWGjpRb6Oqx1vouABdDRl-jFc2GGogPubJyIPPU5TZnO9A=w1920-h1080-no

qfrD0PUySlJuITFOSyVHaF7lunyJHN6BRL7-pR3K2Wz8w014pn0duRAo88Z0SsAZ0Zj1fGTDvDkqtw=w1920-h1080-no

sFWTSIPTCjHTWwwJCgSpwXYisUgviS8Pkt7awPf9tNZRPtRoGySfPlnffTTZCDElm4kRpVvCi_U1yA=w1920-h1080-no

I'm not sure about the ride height, especially on the rear, but I'll look into that after getting new wheels and tires. An angle adjustment needs to be done before the gear.fi track day but it already does tarmac oversteering if needed :D

Perfect stance! But yes, might need a bit more -low at the back.

JESUS
That before picture...is it an off-road version? :p:lol:

Best part in the coilover change was taking off stock front shocks. There wasn't enough room to take shocks off without taking more parts off, so after few minutes of thinking we decided to cut the old springs. After that it was easy to get shocks out. :D

I'm pretty surprised how good we got the height setup done in new coilovers. "This is probably good in here and this we will put in this height..." And abrakadabra it was rather nice. From the lowest part there is 9cm ground clearance so it won't get stuck in speed bumps we have in here.

Yeah, the setup is surprisingly good for how little time we spent adjusting it. That's a good enough height for the remainder of this season.

I had the wheels adjusted which really made a difference in the behavior of the car. The columns are what it was, what it should be and what it ended up being. Camber and caster you understand, "auraus" is the toe angle.
2JkZWCB9gcSJLZFsVU0Egk3-LaNZkeNNKGOIuMBSrI9GCo6s62WOys75FNWRYihCukZjncvP9ruLpw=w1920-h1080-no

Gear.fi had a track day at Ahvenisto last Sunday. Needless to say, the Barum's under my car were somewhat slippery :lol: I spun out twice, as seen on the video, but I'm positive the second time was because Brotan had just over-cooked his E46 on the previous run and sprayed coolant on the back straight. ;) Other than that, some quick-ish laps were made (thanks samulis for the cornering tips, you'll definitely have a go in the spring), some smaller sideways action was experienced and the rest of my brake pads were tortured to the limit. All in all, an excellent afternoon.

Yesterday, I changed the motor oil and filter, today it's time for a wash and tomorrow the season is officially over as the red little beast will go to sleep in a warm garage under a warm blanket...cover.

That track looks pretty. I should go there. :D

It's quite a nice track indeed :)

Here's more of it from my first time around a few years ago:

The narrowness, the trees and the elevation changes make it very interesting.
Add a few rental Meganes and Clios and you have a pocket version of the Nordschleife! :lol:

Yeah, it's often called the "Mini Nordscheife". Another common thing is the lack of gravel pits and other safety ares. You were lucky at that coolant powered spin! :)