Euro 2008

I hate how every fucking game the refs kill it. There's some great football in the euro but the refs are taking over with their dumbass crap. That guy who reffed Italy yesterday should have his lips chopped off so he never gets to blow another whistle. Stupid fuck!

I'm not very much into football, but every time I watch it, I see the same thing and wonder why they haven't long introduced more intellgent systems like that.

My friend is convinced that Romania is going to beat Holland as the dutch have nothing to lose, so he's convinced that we will be seeing most of the bench out on the pitch. So, I thought that was a retarded speculation so I bet my friend $25 that Holland will leave Van Der Sar as goalie. What do you guys think about this idea? Do you think Holland will intentionally lose in order to not see France or Italy advance??

I was thinking the same thing Cellos, but my friend made a good point saying that it would make more sense for Holland to beat Romania, and have one of the tough teams from the other groups play either France or Italy. It makes sense for Holland to give the tough teams from the other groups have harder opponents, while being able to see them off again if they have to.

Having said that, what a heroic last minute goal from Villa today! Fantastic.

I was also happy to see Greece get knocked out by Russia, they were hopelessly outplayed, even though the Russians couldn't finish most of the time.

I know for a fact that Holland will not intentionally lose, they are too competitive and they surly would not do that to their fans that have paid tons of money to watch them play.

But, I think it is very possible that they will rest many of their best players, thus making it easier for Romania. Hopefully they will beat them anyways, either way, we have to do our job and beat France, which I am positive we can do, just for the love of god, let Cassano play from the start!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no illusions that the Netherlands will take it easy on us. They haven't done so in the qualifiers, so they're not going to do it now.

But I wouldn't be as fast to say that Romania will lose in the next game. We beat them 1-0 in the qualifiers, then they tied us on their home turf. Unfortunately, this would also mean that they know some of our tactics. And in turn, it means we know some of theirs. So most of the following game will depend on getting the element of surprise.

So, do the dutch want to spring the higher-experienced teams onto their opponents? Do they want to beat us out of spite? Do they want to beat us out of sheer pride in how they've done so far? Or do they want to disqualify the higher peers from the competition? Will they keep their key players rested and protected, or will they put their best effort forward for team spirit? Too many questions. I won't bet either way. Nobody will know for sure until that day.

And I have to agree. There have been bad ref calls at the majority of the games I watched during this whole tournament ... it's like they've all gone dumb or something. Never before have big mistakes been made on this level.

Damn it :(:(:(

Turkey deserved it though...

funny+toons.jpg

Turkey was a lot better in the 2nd half. But the Czechs should've gotten a penalty when Polak got his head nearly kicked off, and the UEFA should ban Volkan for the rest Euro 2008 after his ridiculous action...

yeah the ref sorta missed that one, but apart from that he made some good calls...

what the turkish goalkeeper did was not cool, but they showed some slow-mo stuff from just before that, and koller was definitely going for demirel, not the ball, so him being pissed was (sort of) justified... but sometimes these people should remember that it?s not american football...

I thoroughly enjoyed the soccer that's been played so far in Euro 2008, but there's one thing that has always annoyed me, continues to annoy me and from what I can tell has only gotten worse.
It's the "help I've fallen and I can't get up!" syndrome, which usually consists of rolling on the ground with the "Oh I'm mortally wounded! Please get a priest!" facial expression and shin grab.

If you feel you need to fall down because you think you have been fouled, fine go ahead and do that (although I'm not a fan of that either), but for crying out loud, don't act like such a pussy.

I'm not commenting on this game in particular, but just from what I've seen in all games. (I think that Germany - Poland and Romania - Sweden are the only games I didn't watch.)

Last edited:
It's no wonder that you didn't see the Romania - Sweden game... They haven't played eachother...

Uh wait, what was that other game today then, oh right, Portugal - Switzerland, euh, at least I was close :? ... a senior moment. :wheelchair:

Well... I picked Switzerland to beat Portugual and Turkey to tie Czech Republic by full time. It ALMOST ALMOST happened, but not quite :(.

I had a 5 dollar bet that would have amounted to 4000 dollars had my other picks (the favourites, generally) done well, most of my odds multipliers came from these two games. So SO close... le sigh :(

Yeah, I hope Gomez will be kicked out. I hate that guy. USELESS. UTTERLY USELESS.