Euro 2012

It's always a bit sad to watch once great players like Shevchenko late in their careers. He was always on of my favorites and he is just not the same player.

He might not be, but there's obviously still a few goals left in him :p

That was a brilliant game by Shevchenko, I shouldn't have doubted his fitness. Just happy to see one of my favorites players beating one of my least favorite players (Ibrahimovi?).

Well, England should be more pleased than France over the draw - France are one of the favourites, England are not.

I dunno, I don't think either the French or the English have a strong team this year round...

Well done by Ukraine... the Shevchenko-Ibrahimovic duel was tight down to the last second. I have the feeling the Ukraine could have enough to go through and even surprise people in the knockout stage.

What a game! So happy for Shevchenko.

The second half was excellent; me and my co-workers were getting a bit sleepy eyed in the first half.

This is turning out to be a most excellent series so far.

Great result for the Co-Hosts, well done to Ukraine. Sweden maybe worth a draw, so were a bit unlucky. Two great goals from Shevchenko, he must have been some player a few years back. (I only knew him recently at Chelsea, which didn't go well.)

However, it was a bad result for France & England, after their draw.
(Didn't see the game, was it any good?)

Sweden are capable of beating France or England, so Ukraine are currently in a very good place to qualify.

So, the the Game 1 matches are now completed and for me Spain, Germany, an improved Italy with sparkly Russia, are looking good at this early stage.

But this being tournament football, more surprises are always on the way. :lol:

I agree with you except on Germany. Not being partisan at all here, but their showing was rather poor for a team which did "so well" at the qualifying stages...

I agree with you except on Germany. Not being partisan at all here, but their showing was rather poor for a team which did "so well" at the qualifying stages...

Yeah I know what you mean, but to a poor showing that gets a win in a tournament is good enough start.

I think they will improve and get stronger, some other teams will not.

:smile:

Yeah I know what you mean, but to a poor showing that gets a win in a tournament is good enough start.

I think they will improve and get stronger, some other teams will not.

:smile:

Quite true. Spain won the world cup after a 1-0 loss to Switzerland at the group stage

Euro 2012: Russian football fans to march in Warsaw

Thousands of Russian football fans are expected to mark their national day by marching through the Polish capital Warsaw, before their team's match against Poland in Euro 2012.
There are fears of trouble during the march, given the historic rivalry between the two countries.

About 6,000 police officers are on duty for it, the BBC's Alex Capstick says.

Russia occupied Poland for more than a century and dominated it during the Cold War, after World War II.

The conservative Polish opposition has condemned the march as a provocation, but it has been approved by the authorities. It is expected to begin shortly after 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT).

The Russian national holiday marks Russia's declaration of sovereignty in 1990 - a key episode in the demise of the Soviet Union.

Polish media have highlighted fears that some Russian fans may sport Soviet flags and symbols - a highly sensitive issue for the many Poles who deplored communist rule.

"March or street war?" said a headline in the conservative Polish daily Rzeczpospolita. It quoted Wojciech Wisniewski, a member of the Polish Union of Football Fans, as saying "somebody really wants to make Polish football fans attack the Russians".

He said that while Polish fans were unhappy about the march, they would not stage any counter-demonstration.

European football's governing body Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia after a series of incidents involving the country's fans at Euro 2012.

Russian fans were caught on camera kicking and punching stewards inside the stadium at Wroclaw, in western Poland, after their team beat the Czech Republic 4-1 on Friday. Four stewards needed hospital treatment.

Anti-racist monitors at the match said a section of the crowd racially abused the Czech Republic's only black player, Theodor Gebre Selassie.

In a statement on Monday, Russian football association said: "We urge all football fans now in Poland to remember that they represent Russia. Please respect yourselves, your country and your team."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18409776

:dunno:

Somebody needs to tell the Greeks that the game started already.

I missed the first 7 minutes of the game what the hell happened? 2-nil to the Czechs already?

dont know if its for this thread or the joke thread but:

The England team visited an orphanage in Poland today.

"It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no
hope" said Igor, aged 6.

Oh dear God we suck! Just like the first half of the game with Poland...we didn't even bother to show up!