Euro 2012

The team has hardly changed since the World Cup. 2 years ago they would've steamrolled Portugal and Danmark.

Makes no sense at all... :blink:

Actually it does; the other teams evolved and The Netherlands hasn't.

It is a pity that Denmark is out, they played well against Germany today and have had a good tournament. They came close to at least a draw or maybe even a win tonight.

Well done to Germany for going through on a 100% win record, very good team performance.

Netherlands looked good, until after they scored, then the impetous of the game seemed to drift off to Portugal.The Netherlands have a lot of great players who weren't playing like a cohesive unit.

Renaldo was on a very good night, the rest of the team was good too with a solid defence. They looked very lively, even before they equalised the scores.

:smile:

BTW, good to see the best player in the world right now silencing his haters for a while. :mrgreen:

You can't have such a hard head to keep calling him the best player in the world after the shit performance he's putting for his country, not even after he scored 2 obviously easy opportunities. The whole of the Portuguese team is wasting goals like it's playing for a charity show. 22 shots, only 8 at goal, including 1 on 1 situations not even a junior should be missing. I believe the team can go further only if they get their shit together. The defense let the dutch shoot from mid distance as often as they wished, 1 goal and 1 ball on the post. I think we can beat CZE, but whoever comes next, I have my doubts.

You can't have such a hard head to keep calling him the best player in the world after the shit performance he's putting for his country, not even after he scored 2 obviously easy opportunities. The whole of the Portuguese team is wasting goals like it's playing for a charity show. 22 shots, only 8 at goal, including 1 on 1 situations not even a junior should be missing. I believe the team can go further only if they get their shit together. The defense let the dutch shoot from mid distance as often as they wished, 1 goal and 1 ball on the post. I think we can beat CZE, but whoever comes next, I have my doubts.
Looks like instead of enjoying the fact that Portugal has advanced into the quarter final thanks to two goals of CR7 (his 2nd goal was beautiful), you would have loved to have seen them eliminated. It's amazing how much do you want them to lose so that you can criticise Ronaldo even more. :mrgreen:

Must have Britishness in him, thats the kind of post England supporters post in similar situations, I guess that expectations are that high in Portugal that anything that is an 'error' is seen as the end of civilisation? Any way I thought that they played extremely well and the game was all over after 20mins when Portugal turned up the pressure. Make no mistake, they are a good to a very good team.

Having said that though Germany look to be made of stern stuff it is going to take a team on their top form plus a bit of luck to beat them. Basically, they are, so far, the best team I have seen any way.

Last edited:
This reporter must be really happy about the Dutch going back home :mrgreen:

Zero points but dozens of drunken depraveds:mrgreen:

What an evening yesturday! The Dutch going home is a big surprise, as well as our team having made it. 3 wins out of 3, but the team is still a lot worse then 2 years ago in the World Cup. They lack security, they lack drive and creativity. Yes, this is moaning on a very high level, but if they don?t raise their game it?s going to be 3rd place ... again.
What the Danish team did yesturday was a big mistery to me. They had to win. But they simply let our team lead the game and waited patiently ... for what again? Untill it was too late? Even after the second german goal, they didn?t really try to win. It was very strange seeing them simply not pushing to win, even at the end.

Well, next match-up for Germany is Greece. One of the weakest teams in the whole tournament. Should be a picknick after facing Denmark ... but with Greece you never know. One day they play like a team in a 3rd national-league somewhere in europe, next day Russia is on their flight home ...

Last edited:
You must have been watching a different match. All I could see was Portugal wasting clear opportunities to extend the lead while the Netherlands was trying its luck from mid distance smashing the post once and testing the keeper some other times. It could have easily ended 2-2 (didn't matter for the group points but it'd matter for group and supporter's morale), when it should have ended at least 4-1 if our strikers had a tiny bit of finishing flair.

Ronaldo has had 2 awful games and 1 regular one (if we count the pre-euro friendlies, he's had 4 bad games). I see no reason to throw candy at him when he's barely doing his job. If he does become the factor that tilts the balance towards Portugal in any future games I will praise him as needed. So far he has been mediocre or less. If a neutral entity would watch the euro, tabula rasa style (no knowledge of previous player achievements), I don't think they'd pick Ronaldo as "the best player in the world".

Yeah, two goals against the Netherlands, horribly mediocre.

I'm seriously glad that the Danish fans are more supportive and appreciative of our national team than you are of yours.

And Interrobang, I just think that Germany had the class or two extra compared to Denmark. We spent an awful lot of energy capturing the ball, just to throw it away again - the German pressure was very efficient, and unfortunately most of our players aren't accostumed to this level of football. It was obvious seeing guys like Daniel Agger and Niclas Bendtner, who are used to playing in the Premier League, that they were a bit more comfortable both off and on the ball. And a guy like Christian Eriksen has looked a bit burned out the whole tournament.. A shame, immmensely talented player.
A draw would have been an awesome result, even though, as it turns out, it wouldn't have been enough. Let's face it, a draw would have been lucky, a win would have been completely unfair given how the game turned out :p

The Netherlands which Denmark faced at the very first match, with all its options open to them and wanting to win, was a different Netherlands that we faced at the last game of the group, and with very different circumstances. The former was the first match of their Euro, winning was very important but not a determining factor, a draw would be fine, the players were fresh and as motivated as they could be. In the latter, NED was almost defeated, had virtually no chances of qualifying, with clear dissent and all their newspapers attacking them as a group and individuals; while POR needed to come out swinging and win so it wouldn't depend on other teams results. If we drew and somehow Denmark beat Germany we would be out (you can never go into a game expecting the other teams to come out the way you want them, no matter who they are... look at Russia and Greece).

So while playing a lot better than the other team and NEEDING those goals, you see 4 or 5 chances going to waste, that's what ticks me off. The final score is all that counts in the end, not how well a team played or how many situations it created. I am glad we won, I shouted and celebrated the goals with family. I'm happy we went through, I am glad the next rival is CZE and not Spain or something like that, and I think we have a good chance of going to the semis if we keep playing like this but also learning how to finish the chances we create.

Last edited:
In the end, that's technicalities. Your team has progressed from the toughest group at the cup, with two wins and a close loss to one of the major favourites to win it all.

Progressing for the Netherland wasn't that far fetched either. A win by more than two goals, and a Denmark losing to Germany. With all due respect, on paper, that should be do-able for the Dutch.

Your team has had succes, have progressed, and even have an opponent in the quarterfinals that aren't excactly unbeatable. And all you can do is bitch about a few missed chances. No, Portugal haven't played up to what they should be able to, but neither have many other. Germany have been solid, but not as convincing as you could have expected. The Netherlands are a shadow of what they were a mere two years ago.

Your rather entitled attitude towards your team annoys me. Have pride. Be happy. In the end, all of this is entertainment. Denmark are out, but we've had the good fortune to witness three incredibly tight and exciting matches, so that's what I'm going to focus on.

You could learn something from the Irish.

You must have been watching a different match. All I could see was Portugal wasting clear opportunities to extend the lead while the Netherlands was trying its luck from mid distance smashing the post once and testing the keeper some other times. It could have easily ended 2-2 (didn't matter for the group points but it'd matter for group and supporter's morale), when it should have ended at least 4-1 if our strikers had a tiny bit of finishing flair.

Ronaldo has had 2 awful games and 1 regular one (if we count the pre-euro friendlies, he's had 4 bad games). I see no reason to throw candy at him when he's barely doing his job. If he does become the factor that tilts the balance towards Portugal in any future games I will praise him as needed. So far he has been mediocre or less. If a neutral entity would watch the euro, tabula rasa style (no knowledge of previous player achievements), I don't think they'd pick Ronaldo as "the best player in the world".

So Portugal was in the most difficult group in the Euro and you were expecting them to win every game 5-0 with CR7 scoring hat-tricks day in and day out, right? Dude, keep watching Argentinas' friendlies against sub-23 teams and Messi vs Friends matches since that is the only kind of football you seem to enjoy.

So my wishing that the Portuguese team plays at its full potential rather than 60% like they've done so far = entitlement and wishing them to be eliminated?
I want them to win the Euro not come 4th or 6th like they always do. Heck, Greece, Denmark, Spain, and even our next rivals the Czechs all have better results than us historically. I want them to win the championship, what's so wrong with that?

Also how threatened are you Madridistas by Messi that you have to bring him up in every discussion? Even the other day, at the press conference after miserably failing against Denmark, Ronaldo had to point out Argentina didn't win the Copa America either (notice how he was covering his own ass in case of failure, very confidence inspiring for the fans)... Is Messi the football equivalent for Hitler on internet discussions?

Last edited:
Also how threatened are you Madridistas by Messi that you have to bring him up in every discussion?

Very, because he goes out and does his job without drama, without needlessly bring attention to himself. He is just a regular guy, not a prima donna.

Yeah, I said it.

Very, because he goes out and does his job without drama, without needlessly bring attention to himself. He is just a regular guy, not a prima donna.

Yeah, I said it.

[Off-Topic ON]Players like E'too or Ibra were literally kicked out of FCQ because Messi wasn't happy about them since they wanted too much prominence in the team. He appears to be humble beacuse he has the verve of a not very bright 3 yr old boy, but he as ego is as big as Ronaldo's [Off-Topic OFF]

You may want Portugal to win, but to be honest, your posts in this thread tell a completely different story. You enjoy a good CR7 beating more than any Portuguese victory.

And if you think that they could win the championship scoring four or five goals everyday and without even allowing their opponents any goal chances you need a reality check since that is never going to happen.

About today's games, here in Spain everybody seems to think that the match against Croatia will be like a walk in the park, so I hope that over-confidence doesn't affect the team. In Italy on the other hand, they are scared about this match finsishing as a 2-2 draw which would send them back home.

Yeah conspiracy theories. Very Mourinho of you. Don't tell me, Messi also pays huge sums to the Golden Ball committee!

Anyway, stop telling me what I enjoy, what I should do, how I should celebrate and suffer football. You and Buktu aren't as demanding of Portugal as me, what a frikken surprise!

Irish eyes are crying.

Some games are goal fests, Italy and Ireland was a foul fest.