Euro 2012

I wish Italy won of course, but I'll take the result. It was a solid game and I think it brought some much needed confidence to the team.

In other news Croatia is continuing to show the euro that they are a force to be reckoned with.

I?m thinking goal-fest more the like ... I predict Italy to fall apart badly and Spain to wipe the floor with them. 4-0
well, don?t ever listen to me when it comes to football then :D

I was quite shocked how well Italy was playing. I actually liked their game ... a lot. And no diving. At all. I was in shock. Italy, sorry I doubted you. Never did doubt Croatia beating Ireland though.

Also: Media-shitstorm coming - the main german Tv-commentator-guy called the spanish team a team of dwarfes on national telly. Excused himself a couple of seconds later, but by then I had already spit my beer across the living room table ... oh my. That?s not going to go down well with the international media ...

I was quite shocked how well Italy was playing. I actually liked their game ... a lot. And no diving. At all. I was in shock.
No dive-fest from Spain neither. It really was a good game. I was rather neutral - I don't like Italy in the football world, but I'd be most happy to have both teams eliminated early, so...

the main german Tv-commentator-guy called the spanish team a team of dwarfes on national telly.
Hm.... I thought his comment was quite funny, he said in an admiring way. Didn't even catch the apology you speak of. The icing on the cake was that he said Italy had a dwarf to fight back with when someone very short came in by substitution. :D

[...]The icing on the cake was that he said Italy had a dwarf to fight back with when someone very short came in by substitution. :D
That I didn?t get.

The way Political Correctness is a holy cow these days, I can sort of imagine that being the last game this tournament for B?la R?thy if someone spanish or someone small takes offense to that and complains publically. I?m neither but my first thought was "oh my, that stupid "Stahlhelm" analogy was nothing against that" ...

That's a bit racist ain't it? Specially when Germany fields a team that's mostly not german at all....

That's a bit racist ain't it? Specially when Germany fields a team that's mostly not german at all....
yes, it is a bit racist, I didn?t want to sound like I was defending it.
But it?s also a bit racist suggesting someone born in germany, that?s lived in germany his or her whole life, speaks german ... is not a german because of his or her family history or skin color. Yes, Klose and Podolsky were born in Poland as the only current exceptions. But as borders in Europe haven?t been exactly fixed the last centuries, both have german grandparents, and both have lived in germany since youth. So who wants to tell them wich country they "belong" to, but themselves?

That is racist. They're all German.

No they aren't... It sort of feels as if when he calls a team short, he's comparing them with a tall team. It's more than obvious than germanic and nordic people are taller than latin people, but when the german team is not what most people think when they think "German", why shoot yourself in the foot?
When I say German I go by the classic definition of german. Not quite ?zil, Khedira and Boateng who were all born and raised in Germany.

I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't play for Germany. I'm saying don't call other people dwarves cos you don't commentate "and now the pole has the ball" when Klose gets a hold of it, right?

Last edited:
No they aren't... I'm not talking about kids who moved to Germany at 4 years old, I'm talking about people like Podolski and Klose.

Podolski moved to Germany at two years old.
Klose moved to Germany at eight years old.

What is your point? How are you talking about them, but not about kids who moved to Germany at young age?

Podolski moved to Germany at two years old.
Klose moved to Germany at eight years old.

What is your point? How are you talking about them, but not about kids who moved to Germany at young age?

I edited that cos I wasn't finding the right words for what my point is. Please re read and edit your own post, I'll delete this if it becomes irrelevant.

How is that derogatory or implying that one race is better than another? I'm merely stating they're different. That's not racism that's a true fact. You can tell if a person was caucasian or asian from their skulls. Obviously globalization in the latest centuries brought a lot of people from different backgrounds together and the genetics of each group into other regions but stereotypes remain and they are based on generalized observable characteristics...

Calling someone a dwarf is on the other hand derogatory. Commentators usually just say "the average height of the team is not great so they won't play with air game" or something vanilla like that.

Last edited:
How is that derogatory or implying that one race is better than another? I'm merely stating they're different. That's not racism that's a true fact.

What is racist is assuming they're not German based on their family origins.

Apart from that, picking Klose and Podolski isn't really a smart example. Both their dads were German minority in Poland, going by their bloodline or whatever they're very German. Just not born on German territory, but who cares about that? I know, you do, and the Americans do. We don't.

Calling someone a dwarf is on the other hand derogatory.

I'm only talking about what you say. What others say is irrelevant, "he started it" is invalid.

Aw, c'mon guys be nice, this a Football Thread.

All to haz beers. :beer:

Messy game or goals, but Croatia well deserved the win. Modric in very good form there, but did get a lot of space by Ireland.

Very interesting group, still.

:smile: