Euro 2012

Ahh of course. Last game of the group play

Turns out, that if either of the teams lost, they would go out of the competition.

Not true, Germany won that game with 1:0, both Germany and Austria went to the next round. The max Austria could permit was losing with two goals difference. Any other result would have eliminated one of the teams. :p

Last edited:
Not true, Germany won that game with 1:0, both Germany and Austria went to the next round. The max Austria could permit was losing with two goals difference. Any other result would have eliminated one of the teams. :p

Well my bad for getting the folklore wrong, that's the point about it.

Fact remains, as a result of a "certain game" played in a "certain manner" years ago, the rules were changed to prevent a re-occurance for group stage game 3.

And anyway, who mentioned any names? :whistle:

Just got internet access after some days away.... Portugal Denmark match, I think it was good cos 1- we won and 2- it was finally shown to the world how much Ronaldo is not an integral part of the team, even as far as being detrimental ... I hate that egocentric twat.

England and Sweden was probably the most exciting match so far. Spain gave the irish a free Football lesson and unless there's a freak incident, Spain is in the finals.

GOALLLLLLLL!

That really sparks up the group. I need to watch the rest of the game somehow, already struggling trying to watch the Le Mans 24h and a movie on the telly at the same time. I need another computer or TV...

Russia really had a bad day at the job. Today was not the right time for it. Greece played the same way they always do. Boring, but effective enough

Yay! :D

But the last minute was quite intensive, whe had a ton of luck with that last Polish attempt.

I hope you don't mind that I disagree :D

By the way, Greek player in an interview to a Greek reporter after the match: "We are such a great nation and haven't deserved what is currently happening to us".

For that statement of self-pity alone I wish they lose highly ;)

:shock:

Football is a cruel mistress!

Greece go through and Russia are out, well so much for my tipping them. :rolleyes:

Karagounis picks up a defensive mistake, runs on and makes a great finish.
Later on Greece hit the bar and (maybe) should have penalty.
(Karagounis gets booked for diving, looked like some contact to me.)

Russia have the majority of possesion and attempts, but no goals.

Poland looked pretty lively in the first half, but seemed to fade away for some reason. Czech Republic were much better in the second half, scored a nice winning goal, were not so great either.

:smile:

I hope you don't mind that I disagree :D

By the way, Greek player in an interview to a Greek reporter after the match: "We are such a great nation and haven't deserved what is currently happening to us".

For that statement of self-pity alone I wish they lose highly ;)

Well, German arrogance is more annoying than Greek 'self-pity'. Go Greece! :mrgreen:

The trouble with that is that they have a lot to be arrogant about. Lead the EU for one thing, they 'got it' well before anyone else has/did. Some have not as yet - Ukania I am looking at you.

Anyway football, the Russians were odd this time managed to be great one minute and awful the next. I feel sorry for Poland, one thought did strike me - were they fit enough, the really did fade badly in the second half of that last game.

I like the look of France, Spain when they play well, Germany (of course they always turn the wick up in these competitions) and Italy (Not really for what they have done but for the fact that they always get better in these competitions) so I think the winners will be one of those countries. I hope that England does well but I do not see it myself, not enough quality throughout the team and one or two players are not up to scratch - I am looking at you Scot Parker).

Still we shall see.

Today you are already called "arrogant", when you did something right and refuse to remain silent about it. Accusing Germany of arrogance reeks a bit of desperation, to be honest, a bit like "We could think of nothing substantial, so we call them arrogant" :p

Unspoken first rule in human relationships: If you are unsatisfied with yourself, leash out at somebody else. Works as self-therapy and if the others are clever enough, they'll realize it's not about them but about being frustrated with yourself ;)

Last edited:
Germany's the only team to win their first two matches. It's more reality than arrogance

Of course, you are the clear favourites to advance into the semi-finals and it would be really heroic if the (underdog) Greeks managed to win the game. Obviously attitudes like that of MacGuffin only make me want that to happen even more. :mrgreen:

Hey, don't beat the messenger :p

Would've preferred Poland and Czech to move on from the first group but this'll do. Not that Greece has any chance against Germany, Karagounis picked up a (referee assisted) match suspension as well.

I wouldn't mind Germany assisting Denmark a bit today, Portugal in the quarters is fine as well though. The Dutch have been absolutely useless so far, no ideas in the offence, just a pack of (poor) individuals...except for Sneijder maybe. Heitinga, Willems and van der Wiel haven't been very convincing either.

Meanwhile it's looking like I put my money on the wrong horse for the top scorer of the tournament. Despite great pre-tournament friendlys Benzema's looked like he's a bit lost in the first two games, like he was playing out of position. His pretty much only opportunities of scoring so far have been shots outside the box, pretty atypical for him. Giroud replaced him in the end of the last match and I hope he gets a bit more time on the pitch in the future if Benzema doesn't step up his game.