Euro 2016

Alasondro Alegré

Forum Addict
identite-visuelle.png

? Hosts France take position one in Group A so will not be involved in the draw, meaning Pot 1 will have five teams allocated to the remaining groups. The other three pots have six teams each, with one side from each pot allotted to all six groups.

? Pot 1: Spain (holders), Germany, England, Portugal, Belgium

? Pot 2: Italy, Russia, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine*

? Pot 3: Czech Republic, Sweden*, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary*

? Pot 4: Turkey, Republic of Ireland*, Iceland, Wales, Albania, Northern Ireland

*Play-off winners

? The teams will be drawn into six groups of four (Groups A to F), with the top two in each section plus the four best third-placed sides advancing to the knockout phase. The group stage runs from 10?22 June 2016.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-finals/draws/round=2000448/index.html

I will be surprised if Germany doesn't take it... surprised, but glad. They probably will.

I will be surprised if Germany doesn't take it... surprised, but glad. They probably will.

Germany hasn?t been looking that convincing since the World Cup and some players like Schweinsteiger have passed their best days (other like Lahm retired), so I don?t quite see where you take that confidence from. But that also my just be the typical german football-pessimism talking here ... either way - I expect nothing but hope for the best.

Germany hasn?t been looking that convincing since the World Cup and some players like Schweinsteiger have passed their best days (other like Lahm retired), so I don?t quite see where you take that confidence from. But that also my just be the typical german football-pessimism talking here ... either way - I expect nothing but hope for the best.

The same can be said about all European teams... Spain was in tatters, Portugal just doesn't get its shit together, Italy and France are meh. The only other scenario I can see is a complete surprise (like 2004 Greece) or something like that.

Or Belgium, for some unfathomable reason is first in the FIFA rankings.

Last edited:
Why arnt Germany first?

Germany has played too many friendlies ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings#Criticism

[...] National teams can maintain a higher average score by playing fewer friendly matches, particularly against weaker opponents. For example, Switzerland were seeded for the 2014 World Cup draw, largely thanks to only playing three friendly matches in the previous year. Switzerland would have reduced their rating if they had played any more friendlies, as their average score was greater than the maximum possible score from winning a friendly match against the top-ranked nation.

That said, Belgium actually seems to have quite a lot of good players at the moment and England dominated the qualification. Apart from that, IMO we?re gonna see quite an interesting tournament with no real dominating teams. Maybe we?ll even see Poland or the Czech team get their act together, who knows. And I?m looking forward to this. The last two Euros were quite boring with spain dominating the field, I hope to see a much more "open" tournament this time.

^
That's quite good, maybe the organisers should just play that, instead of the National Athems at the start of each game? :p

.. anyway, some wierdness from BBC Sport:

BBC Euro 2016 Trailer

Music: "Genesis" by Justice

(Viewers may have a WTF? moment while watching this Trailer. :lol:)

Wow, an opening ceremony that wasn't terrible AND the music was very good. Amazing!

Well done to the hosts France and for the win this evening, a great goal by Payet!

:smile:

Time to try and destroy some Italians !

We're poo so far... Let's hope for a decent second half

Aaaaand a deserved 0-2.... Balls