Euro Fords going to America...Maybe.

AG.Daiba

Car(s)
BMW 330xi
For years, Ford fans and industry analysts have begged the automaker to import its superior Europe-only products to the United States. Not only would consumers be left with better cars, but proponents reckon Ford would like sell more, too.

Now, U.K. trade publication Just-Auto is reporting Ford could bring many of its European offerings to the United States as soon as next year. Models currently being considered include the Euro Focus, the all-new Mondeo, and the S-Max and Galaxy people movers. Further details were not given, but the models being looked at seem like obvious choices. Ford fans have been particularly adamant that the automaker bring the European Focus (pictured) stateside.

Most previous reports have indicated Ford had no plans to directly import its Euro-spec vehicles to the 'States. However, the company's dire financial situation may be prompting some "bold moves" on the part of Ford's management.

yeah, it's about time because they desperately need to replace the ancient first gen. focus and the dreadful windstar rebadged as a freestar minivan and the dead ovalish taurus and the uneconomic econoline van, and pretty much, they could just replace the entire range.

Got it from here.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/06/report-ford-us-mulls-importing-european-models/

Last edited:
"Why do all the other countries get the cool looking Fords?" Haven't I asked this before?:p

Because US Ford execs have their colective heads shoved-up their own asses and insisted on shoving Tauruses and Exploders down our throats. If they do import them here, I just hope they won't F-it-up by dumbing it down for American buyers. They tried it once in the 80s when they sold Ford Scorpios and and Sierras and badged them under the Merkur nameplate.

I would settle down for a MkII Focus ST and strangely I really like that new S-MAX.

Because US Ford execs have their colective heads shoved-up their own asses and insisted on shoving Tauruses and Exploders down our throats. If they do import them here, I just hope they won't F-it-up by dumbing it down for American buyers. They tried it once in the 80s when they sold Ford Scorpios and and Sierras and badged them under the Merkur nameplate.

I would settle down for a MkII Focus ST and strangely I really like that new S-MAX.

Who would buy a new Mondeo if it's 15% cheaper to buy any other american car in this segment?

Who would buy a new Mondeo if it's 15% cheaper to buy any other american car in this segment?

me:)

and i REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY ARENT DOING THIS...i dunno if you people have seen the spy shots of the new NA focus...its really pretty much the same damn thing, a porsche style design job if you will=p, but this time the car doesnt look good in the end, i dont think it will...i really hope ford is playing a joke on us buy sending those protos around, and thn bring the euro spec's over here..i think it would be cheaper anyways, because they dont have to develop new vehicles, altough i dont kno how much it costs to change the cars for NA spec.

Last edited:
The product placement of the Mondeo in the latest Bond film got me thinking. Of all the cars to put in the film, why the Mondeo, which isn't even available in the US?

Conclusion: We're getting the Mondeo.

Hopefully the Mondeo will do alot better than it's late failed cousin...the Contour, man that car was troubles when I drove it :p. But then again, the Contour was a Mondeo..so what name would it be? Will they bust out the Contour again? I sure hope not :p

I would love to see the Mondeo being sold here, it could sell well. People seem to be lapping up anything with the word "Euro"-whatever on it. Ford would be keen to capitalise on that. ;)
No doubt, Mondeos are great cars. But it makes me wonder why the Contour failed then? Since they were both the same platforms. But in comparison, the Contour was too...boring and conservative. Won't bother me at all if more European-spec cars come this way:mrgreen:

I hope the Labour unions don't stop them from doing this.
How much cheaper are the cars going to be in the US? 10-20%? The S-Max cost ?22k plus VAT over here, that would be $28k, clearly that's to much for a 145bhp car.

The product placement of the Mondeo in the latest Bond film got me thinking. Of all the cars to put in the film, why the Mondeo, which isn't even available in the US?

Conclusion: We're getting the Mondeo.

If read with the right emotion, that post is hilarious.. and true, hopefully

I think the Mondeo would do very well, as well as the Focus ST...a great competitor in the hot-hatch segment which is still doing well in America.

I'm all for bringing the Mondeo over, but how? Will they axe the Fusion after only a few years? Or will the Mondeo just be called the Fusion? I think it would be a little tough seeing how they just started making AWD Fusions/Milans.

Also, if they bring the S-Max over, American's will gobble them up.. maybe give Chrysler a run for their money.

How big is the modern Mondeo? The big complaint about the Contour was its size relative to its price, and if the Mondeo remains smaller than the Fusion.. heck, where will it slot into the lineup anyway, with the Fusion already there? Sure, I'm all for European Fords, but if it just adds a few more names to an already overcrowded lineup, it's not going to help all that much. They should start with the Euro Focus to replace the dinosaur they're selling now, and when the Fusion gets redesigned, put that name on the Mondeo. If it's big enough.

Ford make some really good European motors, my favourite is the Focus ST. I think that the new Mondeo should sell in NA (may be wrong though). Probably need to look at the engine line up as Europeans favour generally 4 pot Petrol and Diesels too. The Ford one is, I believe, based around the Peugeot HDI.

The S-Max is an awesome looking vehicle and I'd certainly own one, but I don't think it would do well against the other minivans. American minivan owners want their power-sliding passenger doors. The Mazda MPV and the Honda Odyssey both started life with hinged doors but they were replaced with sliding units.

If Ford could successfully market the S-Max as a cross-over it might do better.

I would actually desire a Focus ST if it was sold here. Ford should stop thinking and start acting. This would actually be a "bold move" in the right direction

I think the problem is just that the Mondeo other similar European cars are liked by people on this forum = carfanatics. They reckon they're better to drive, more MPG etc. But since they don't have a 16 liter V8, auto tranny and can fit the pacific ocean the general American car buyer will not bother. Also I think the general American is quite the patriot and will stay faithful to American products as long as he or she can.
European cars will only get better shares of the market if gas prices are raised so that there really is a reason to be economic. Else Americans will simply don't care because they don't have too.
And before they have to raise gasprices, they'll invade a couple of countries, eventually all the European ones, and then European cars become American cars...problem solved.
So in a couple of years we will have "The Great American War For low gas prices, better cars and of course freedom over us. And who can blame them?

One question though....What's the deal with often renaming european or asian cars when bringin them into the US? Like with the Sierra that was called Merkur.

I LOVE look of the new Mondeo. If competing against the Camry, and the Accord based on looks, its going to win for sure.

you may have the falcon while you're at it :p

We may even let you have some FPV