Eve online, FG corporation and other talk

I know, there's also the Steam option, my question was should I wait to try it when I have the money, or try it now to get a feel for it and then come back to it later hoping I don't forget everything? :p

You can create as many accounts and characters as you want so if you just wanna check it out for free, you shouldn't hesitate.

However, it's gonna take you more than 2 or 3 weeks to generate enough wealth to pay for your gametime. This is because skilling up your char to ordinary isk generating capacity takes a couple of months at least. 60 days costs you $35.

Through missions, on a sufficiently skilled character and a proper ship, you can earn a month of gametime in about 20 hours. This varies by skillpoints and ship. Actual ISK/h numbers of missioning are always disputed but the gist is there. 30 days of gametime costs 365 million isk. The ordinarily fit basic battleship you will be using to run missions for that isk costs about a third of that.

I played Eve for a few years, haven't played it properly since 2009 though. But i still take out my old Muninn for a spin now and then.

I may revisit this, though TF2 has been keeping my happy for a while now.

Also, Jens, in case you didn't know, WoW is free to play now. Only up to level 20, but unlimited characters and for as long as you like.

been playing a bit more. some of its coming back to me. some of it i'm learning over again. still really enjoying it. contemplating getting a subscription. created a Gallente pilot called Jedd Hawkmoor and just learning the basics.

Yeah I knew about that but WoW isn't much fun untill you get to lvl 70, could always make a lvl 19 twink ofcourse :p

Download has finished, going to try give EVE a try now!

To new chars I highly recommend training Minmatar ships, they are the best compromise between PvE and PvP, because of their instadamage guns, versatile ammo and shield tanks.

Caldari are awesome in PvE, but range from extremely skill-intensive to utterly terrible in PvP, because of their generally laggy and low damage output, and ship roles that are geared towards fleet support, not solo flying.

Amarr are awesome in PvP, but useless in PvE, because their capacitor gets gimped by their weapons, which are also locked to the game's worst damage type, EM damage. Amarr also have to tank with their armor, which is more skill intensive and takes more effort from the pilot.

Gallente are the second worst in everything. They use hybrid weapons which have a permanent damage type, and tank with their armor. They are also pretty slow.

Minmatar? Shield tank? Holy cow, the game must have tipped over while i was gone. I remember shieldtanking on a Maelstrom but everything else were armortanking.

That is the Minmatar magic, you can pretty much go wild fitting their ships. At least relatively so compared to other races. That gives the race their versatility. But most everything you would run in PvE with a minmatar training should primarily run a shield tank, especially if the pilot is new to the job. Namely the Tempest, Maelstrom and Vargur class ships. The minmatar armor tanks, namely the Rupture, Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest are better ships at PvP than PvE, and active armor tanking takes some more pilot skill than shield tanking to boot.

Crap, the character I created is a Gallente :p anyway, so far I'm enjoying it although the learning curve is indeed steep. I'm typing this while my ship is travelling to another solar system in autopilot. :D

Crap, the character I created is a Gallente :p anyway, so far I'm enjoying it although the learning curve is indeed steep. I'm typing this while my ship is travelling to another solar system in autopilot. :D

I created a Gallente as well. The learning curve is still steep. i was trying to complete a mission (placing a blueprint into production) and found i didn't have the proper industry skill yet had no idea how to go about it. rather than try it out. i just grabbed a security mission and went off to blow up some pirate ships.

On one of the earlier missions in the tutorial you need to travel through multiple stargates to reach your destination in order to deliver some certificate. But, I forgot to put the certificate in my ship and thus had to go back and grab it. Needless to say I felt like an idiot. There is however one thing I find lacking and that is control over your ship while in combat. I'd like to steer my ship with manually with my keyboard and mouse and not by just clicking. I'm going to look up some videos of epic battles in EVE to see what is possible, I can imagine there is some intense gameplay involved at higher levels.

Oh God, am I going to want to jump off a cliff by the complexity of it still? I so want to play, but I got overwhelmed a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
so i got the "plz come back for 5 days" email again from eveonline, should i make comeback and try to force some life into Finalgear-corporation?

There is however one thing I find lacking and that is control over your ship while in combat. I'd like to steer my ship with manually with my keyboard and mouse and not by just clicking.

EVE is already pretty laggy at times, and almost unplayable in the largest of battles (more than 1600 pilots). Imagine how broken it would be like if instead of giving the server commands by double-clicking, your pc was in a constant dialogue with the server. :p

Also, in the heat of real battle there's plenty to do and think about without having to babysit your ship.

CCP has maintained that as a capsuleer, you're the captain of your ship, giving course change orders to navigational computers, you're not actually steering the ship.

I'm going to look up some videos of epic battles in EVE to see what is possible, I can imagine there is some intense gameplay involved at higher levels.

I highly recommend watching solo / small gang PvP videos from the My EVE forum. One coming to mind is Bellum Eternus' solo Hyperion vid: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0708/Bellum_Eternus_Solo_Hyperion_Piracy.mkv

Just from reading the posts over the last couple days, it sounds like I'm going to be royally pissed off by what I don't know or can't do in the first few months/years/eons. Which is perfectly fine by me, I'd rather feel like I achieved something when I accomplish it. Too many games have gotten away from what my friend has termed "PC-gamer difficulty". I'll give the Steam version a download some time this weekend and get started learning.

As much as I'm actually liking the game, and would love to play it with a whole bunch of people (because on your own it's quite boring after a while) I simply cannot justify the ~$15 a month.

Never played a game across multiple monitors before, but it is awesome :D at least for this type of game it is.
eveonline2monitors.jpg

Too bad I won't continue playing after my trial ends, just too bloody expensive.

EVE really benefits from having a lot of megapixels, since there's so much textual data all over.

awww
another players bites the dust.

Unless you want to pay the ?14.95/month :lol: