Ever wonder the physiology behind a Coke? Here comes the science.

Ah, come on. As long as you don't live on the stuff, it'll be ok.

I usually drink 2.5 liters of water a day, and then a bit of Coke, usually light or zero. Maybe half a liter 4 days a week...

And concerning the first post, its about right, if you do like 1,5 liters in 5 minutes. Although the times maybe a bit too quick, if you had something to eat before jugging it.

And concerning the teeth: Drinking it fast AND a lot doesn't do anything to them, its long contact with the acid that unsets the balance. So slowly slurping it with a straw = bad, very bad (think of the little kids with the missing front teeth because of the sugar in their nursing bottles, seeing that everyday in the clinic...)

Drinking it the normal way in adjusted doses = not a problem!!!

Coke sucks because it has high fructose corn syrup (in the USA).

Sugar >> HFCS

That's probably why American chocolates sucks as well....

Actually, I think that's to protect them from autoxidation. O? is a diradical, which is why it oxidizes stuff like apples so quickly. If you left wine in the open air for too long, the alcohol would convert to carboxylic acid, and you'd have vinegar. :)

Guess I should have taken O-Chem in college. Wait, what the hell am I thinking *glowers at empty wine bottle* Bad wine! Don't ever make me think I should take O-Chem again!

I drink Coke like water for a long time, however I'm still slim, pee only twice a day (except when I drink coffee or beer, then I pee like hell) and don't feel any boost from it. Am I normal?

My only fear is diabet, therefore I'm trying to convince myself to replace it by sparkling water these days.

Pee twice a day?That doesn't sound too normal...

And it's not too healthy either. Except if you have an exceptionally large bladder :)
Drinking not enough is a common cause of kindey stones, something you don't want to have. Really don't want to have.

thats why you drink coke because it purifies your bladder and cleans it, therefore you don't get those nasty kidney stones.

I did a experiment about a year ago, measuring coffeine concentrations in coffee, instant coffee and coke.
Coffeine concentrations was 6 times higher in the instant coffee than the coke (4 times with the normal coffee).

So I doubt the effects from the coffeine in coke are that big.

And it's not too healthy either. Except if you have an exceptionally large bladder :)

Maybe not exceptionally large but probably quite large, considering how much I can pee sometimes.

Drinking not enough is a common cause of kindey stones, something you don't want to have. Really don't want to have.

For sure I wouldn't, fortunately it never happened.

An "ex-friend" of mine's mother suffers from skin cancer because she lies out in the sun everyday in the summer. She smokes relgiously, almost chain-smoking level. She has Lupus and Arthritis.... AND she only drinks Coke-Cola or coffee.

She's in her mid-late 40s and looks like Hans Moleman.

Exhibit A:

Hans_Moleman_300.gif

On a side note: el_maggot, is your sig allowed?

And concerning the teeth: Drinking it fast AND a lot doesn't do anything to them, its long contact with the acid that unsets the balance. So slowly slurping it with a straw = bad, very bad (think of the little kids with the missing front teeth because of the sugar in their nursing bottles, seeing that everyday in the clinic...)

Drinking it the normal way in adjusted doses = not a problem!!!

I don't know if I would say it "doesn't do anything to them". Any contact with coke leaves a sugary layer on your teeth. Drinking it slow just makes it worse.

On a side note....

I was drinking a Coke for the first time in years at work the other day. I needed the extra boost because it was a rough day. I had nothing in my stomach food-wise, nevertheless I took a huge gulp.

It seemed that the minute it entered my esophagus, it was like hydrochloric acid going down. I felt like I should throw up just to get it out, but I had no place to. I had severe heart burn for the rest of the day and for a while after that initial drink, I couldn't eat anything.

Did that ever happen to anyone here???

Last edited:
Yes, if you haven't had a coke in a long time, it can really burn you. Strong stuff, coke ;)

I don't drink soda/pop/whatever-you-want-to-call-it very often, but when I do I mostly drink Sprite, which is quite mild. I had a sip of coke not too long ago and it felt like my throat was melting. It's not that I'm a wuss (used to drink it all the time as a kid), it's just that if you're not used to it, your body seems to forget how powerful it is.

Last edited:
Sorry, I drink coffee like it was going out of style, so a soft drink is rather weak by comparison.

/Proper coffee, not that Starbucks swill that passes for coffee these days.

A week? wow. I unload daily, but I eat a lot of fiber :)

This is turning into a great topic!!