• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

EVO MR... how could they?!?!?

Likwid

The local Mitsu dealership finally got an MR in and it was the exact color I wanted... dark silver with matching wheels. I grabbed the check book and headed out the door.

The "fins" on the back window are cool but take some time to get used to... its the first thing you notice when you see the car. The "special" MR interior ... well as far as I could tell its an MR badge...lol. I was like a kid at christmas opening gifts... only thing is as I opened more I found out that under the gift wrap were socks.

The IC sprayer is gone now, replaced by the center diff.... what? How come this was an either or? Either those Americans can have the center differential or they can have the IC sprayer but they cant have both. Active YAW Control that the US was supposed to get... nope, didnt get it this year either :evil: . "We get a 5hp increase with this car, they changed the wastegate." the salesman said to me as I stared at him with the same blank look. Mitsu is increasing the UK FQ from 340 to 380hp this year... and we get 276 up from 271?

So the new MR does get new stuff I thought... its lighter (so is the RS), has the center diff, inverted Bilstein's, an interior badge and 5 extra HP [sarcasm]from hours of labor[/sarcasm]. I still wanted it so the salesman got the keys and I took her for a spin. I started to forget about what we did and didnt get once it was on the road. Turbo lag from the previous EVO is gone... push the loud pedal and it goes like a bat out of hell. It corners like a dream. I was ready to write the check until I went to do a "brisk" take-off. Mitsu, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to enguage a computer controlled rev limiter when the clutch is pressed. Sitting at the light next to a cocky teen in a Mustang GT (salesman almost crying...lol) I reved the engine to 6000 rpm... but it stopped at 5k. I still whooped the stang to the next light (so much for the V8 ;)) but I couldnt believe it. Instead of reving to 6k and dropping the clutch where the tires chirp for a second and you go like a hooker in a raid, now you have to a realistic 4700rpm max, the engine bogs and your take off like Seinors day at Dennys waiting for the turbo to spool. That was the deal breaker. As good as the car is that rev limiter (which isnt on the FQ cars) just sucks. Were not good enough to have Active YAW, or both IC sprayer and the center diff and we can only be trusted with 276hp in their ultra performance model..... now we have to have a granny switch on the clutch so take-offs are boring. Its a great car but that limiter kind of kills it. The '05 STi with the factory short shift kit is just as fast, corners just as well and you can tear chunks of rubber off all four wheels with 6k take-offs..... so dispite the avatar looks like Im getting the STi.

That's a bummer man.
Taking off at 6k and dropping the clutch is fun, but not exactly healthy, I wouldn't do that too much.
Personally if I want to launch (relatively quickly), I rev to about 3800-4000 and let the clutch slip a tiny bit.

Anyways, have fun with the STI (have you test driven one?).

I havent driven the new short shift STi before but I have driven an STi. 6K isnt good your right and most likely they did it for warranty reasons but unlike the STi, the EVO needs more revs to reach its sweet spot.

You are a very blessed person...have the choise between the WRX and the EVO...

I would go for the WRX for it's sound..but haven't driven it (yet)
So i guess it's up to the handling.
I think the EVO looks better, much more agressive.

let us know what you bought

Jostyrostelli said:
You are a very blessed person...have the choise between the WRX and the EVO...

I would go for the WRX for it's sound..but haven't driven it (yet)
So i guess it's up to the handling.
I think the EVO looks better, much more agressive.

let us know what you bought

i drove the 2004 wrx sti, it is superb. sounds amazing

I have to agree... that flat four just makes a meaner sound. I do like the look of the MR better... STi's look great but kind of chubby...lol. The STi interior is my favorite of the two..... either way Im getting something I like.

hey doesn't the 05 WRX STI...well i've read that it has the water sprayer thingy...intercooler sparyer i think...its on their website...

Dark_Templer_102 said:
hey doesn't the 05 WRX STI...well i've read that it has the water sprayer thingy...intercooler sparyer i think...its on their website...

Yes, it still has the IC sprayer as does the base EVO and the EVO RS. No clue why Mitsu removed it from the MR..... those things actually work.

if i was you, i'll just get the barebone evo with the best electornic gizmos and then jsut get aftermarket parts for the details u want in it.

e.g. u wanted a IC spray, just get a billion (the brand) one or something japo, they are better than standard ones on the evo n e way

I have been dropping the clutch at 6K RPMS on my STi for about a year now and have had no problems. The STi tranny is bullet-proof. Not sure about the EVOs though, I've heard they have clutch problems :( Anyway, I'm sure you will be VERY HAPPY with either car.

cubanseeder said:
I have been dropping the clutch at 6K RPMS on my STi for about a year now and have had no problems. The STi tranny is bullet-proof. Not sure about the EVOs though, I've heard they have clutch problems :( Anyway, I'm sure you will be VERY HAPPY with either car.

I'm not sure about what you said about Subaru gearboxes... I had a 97 Impreza Before and tuned it to about 350hp and because of the all wheel drive system which puts alot of pressure on the clutch... I changed 2 in a year...

If you wanna save your gearbox... I would recommend changing your diffrentials to a 60:40 distribution... you get much better high speed runs and reduces wear on the gearbox :D

it's best that they dropped the IC sprayer, that's waaaaaay easier to install afterwards than a center diff :wink:

andyhui01 said:
I'm not sure about what you said about Subaru gearboxes... I had a 97 Impreza Before and tuned it to about 350hp and because of the all wheel drive system which puts alot of pressure on the clutch... I changed 2 in a year...

If you wanna save your gearbox... I would recommend changing your diffrentials to a 60:40 distribution... you get much better high speed runs and reduces wear on the gearbox :D

I'm referring to the newer STi. I believe Subaru paid someone to try and break the 6M transmission on the STi, and all they ended up doing was breaking the axles a couple of times (this was after continuos hammering on the tranny).

On previous imprezas, yeah, the tranny pretty much sucked (I had an 02 WRX before and never dropped the clutch).

-cubanseeder

cubanseeder said:
andyhui01 said:

I'm referring to the newer STi. I believe Subaru paid someone to try and break the 6M transmission on the STi, and all they ended up doing was breaking the axles a couple of times (this was after continuos hammering on the tranny).

On previous imprezas, yeah, the tranny pretty much sucked (I had an 02 WRX before and never dropped the clutch).

-cubanseeder

The new STi's should be better... cuz it has a adjustable C.Diff... so it doesn't put so much pressure on the clutch and gearbox as it is not full time awd... but I think the WRX gearbox still suck... really fragile

if they wanted to break it, why dont they jsut change gears without clutchin........?

once in hong kong, i saw a woman in a mazda 121 , aka slug bug, in TST and honeslty, she changed without a clutch, it just went SSSSSEEEEEEERRRRWWWWEEEEERRROOOOKKKKKK in the middle of the street...what can i say...

btw the mazda 121 is real gangster. find a pic and imagine 50 cent and G unit in it doing a drive by

jasonchiu said:
if they wanted to break it, why dont they jsut change gears without clutchin........?

once in hong kong, i saw a woman in a mazda 121 , aka slug bug, in TST and honeslty, she changed without a clutch, it just went SSSSSEEEEEEERRRRWWWWEEEEERRROOOOKKKKKK in the middle of the street...what can i say...

Ahh clutchless gear changes the sport of company and hire cars. I've handed back many a car not shifting quite as sweetly as when I got it :)

I must say my experiance with subura transmission has been nothing but good, I've never driven a turbo model, but I killed the engine before the clutch or g/box died, and my mates farm surbie pickup trucks are going strong after 15 years of abuse.

You know the Subs changing diffs, what would be best for just normal driving...50:50? is that even an option? and 60:40..does that mean 60% power to front wheels and 40% to back...thus its like haveing a FWDish car? and vise versa? (Like 40:60 is like RWD)

Dark_Templer_102 said:
You know the Subs changing diffs, what would be best for just normal driving...50:50? is that even an option? and 60:40..does that mean 60% power to front wheels and 40% to back...thus its like haveing a FWDish car? and vise versa? (Like 40:60 is like RWD)

if you are driving normally and doing highway runs... I suggest 60:40 (60 back, 40 front) and ... 50:50 should only be used when it is raining or for fast acceleration... but really hurts your clutch