Evo X versus new STi?

I want to get my hands on the stripper RS and mod tune the nuts off it

most Americans :p

Sorry, I am an american and that the fact that most americans decide on a car purchase based on its track performance is simply not true. I do not know what you're basing this upon.

I dont' know i think the Black one at the LA auto show doesn't look soft at all

so, that black sti or this black evo?

Either car looks like it would like nothing better but to walk up to you and punch your face, they are both pretty aggressive, looks wise.

Nothing is set in stone yet, the conclusions will either be predictable, or surprising.

Sorry, I am an american and that the fact that most americans decide on a car purchase based on its track performance is simply not true. I do not know what you're basing this upon.

He means track as in drag strip. Which is true as a straight-line track.

He means track as in drag strip. Which is true as a straight-line track.

That's still not true, most americans buy a car as mundane transportation or a fashion accessory, a significant minority buy cars for straight line drag strip speed, and a smaller significant minority care about how a car handles as well as goes (luckily this minority segment is constantly growing as they get a taste of well handling cars and realize they dont have to put up with a market limited with crap).

That's still not true, most americans buy a car as mundane transportation or a fashion accessory, a significant minority buy cars for straight line drag strip speed, and a smaller significant minority care about how a car handles as well as goes (luckily this minority segment is constantly growing as they get a taste of well handling cars and realize they dont have to put up with a market limited with crap).

It was only a few years ago that i got out of high-school, so maybe its more that then the being American, but i do know that back then all anybody ever talked about was laptimes (straight or otherwise) Flamboyancy was important as well. Anyways i still see this with most stereotypical Americans that i see running around at autocrosses and such, understeering into all the cones. They usually just buy something thats either fast or has a huge after-market, aka is known to be capable of being fast even if its a bit crappy (aka ae86 :) ), theres almost no originality in most Americans selection.

Understand its important to differentiate handling from grip, with grip being the main function that most people i have bumped into talk about, especially as some race tires (Hoosiers) can cover up most suspension flaws due to their flexibility at the limit.

Now i am aware that most real dedicated car fans usually are just as smart as in any other country, such is why you can still find cars that are super fun if not at all really that fast. However the majority of people, the people who crowd places like streetfire.com, usually just go for whatever seems to be quick around or down a track.

Last edited:
At a quick glance, most people would have trouble distinguishing it from the Hyundai i30.:|

Except those of us who don't know what a Hyundai i30 is or what one looks like.

Hyundai doesn't sell the i30 in America? They are flogging it to death here. They have 3 seperate commercials running for it. Apparently it has "European styling".

But my point is, who wants a hot turbo-charged hatch that could be mistaked for a Hyundai?

The new STi just looks like an uninspired hot hatch. The new EVO on the other hand looks fantastic, best looking EVO by far, even if they did have steal the front end off a R34 to do it.

Here's some photos I took at the Tokyo Motor Show two weeks ago. Sorry for the quality, I took them using my phone.

n61110099_34968326_1144.jpg

n61110099_34968327_1389.jpg

n61110099_34968328_1631.jpg

I can dream...

n61110099_34968329_1876.jpg

n61110099_34968330_2123.jpg

Somewhat underwhelming considering what has gone before it.

n61110099_34968304_5884.jpg

n61110099_34968313_7994.jpg

New GT-R. Was a tad popular.

EVO owners need not worry about track time, unless they really want to void their warranties.

Unfortunately in many cases this is true. :(

However, that hasn't stopped the majority of the Evo owners I know from tracking their car at least once.

Also, one thing to keep in mind about the Evo X, this will be the first Evo that us deprived Americans will get with ACD & AYC.

IMHO, while there are a few things that I don't like about the Evo X, its styling has definitely grown on me. I can't say the same thing about the STi.

From the initial test done my the car mags here in the US they actually say that the new Evo is slightly slower in a straight line, but slightly faster around a track. I have yet to see any reviews of the new STi but it sounds like the new Evo and STi will continue their trend of the STi being slightly faster in a straight line while the Evo is the better handling car.

But I guess everyone will have to wait until we see some real comparisons of the full production version of each car... hopefully one form Top Gear. :)

GZOMG it would appear the EVO has caught Mondeoitis. It's a disease where the car looks perfectly fine, until you get to the rear tyres and the d-pillar, and the rear tyres look way undersized.

112_2007_geneva_auto_show_03s+2007_ford_mondeo+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

New STi looks like something common. A shape you commonly seen on roads, like a mazda3 or BMW1 or so on. It just doesnt have the same "big turbo sedan with crazy bulges" approach anymore.

New Evo however, looks familiar yet more refined. The styling is quite unique yet inspired. Front end does look a bit like Skyline GT-R34 and R35 from the front. And thats all good, gives it more sporting credentials.

As for the performance, its too early to tell. Subarus have indeed be trailing Evos in the past but with such a huge redesign of formula, the balance might change.
Still, they're not the traditional competitors they once were anymore, so TopGear might not review them together as usual (if at all)

This new STi looks like a Mazda 323 a guy called Darren has been a bit over the top with Halfords parts with...

..that black Evo on the other hand, looks the business. It looks like it could eat the Sub for breakfast, even if they are evenly matched.

Anyway, the main contender for the scoob must now be something like the R32, seeing as its a hatch. I'd have the r32 any day.

I definitely approve of the Evo over the new Impreza, and I always fancied Subarus more. I think they're following rally trends trying to dominate the hot Focuses, Citroens and Pugs instead of battling the Evo... They might also be trying to distance it more from the hotter Legacies.

I actually think the Evo is becoming more of a track rather than rally icon as well...

GZOMG it would appear the EVO has caught Mondeoitis. It's a disease where the car looks perfectly fine, until you get to the rear tyres and the d-pillar, and the rear tyres look way undersized.

Mondeoitis is just a mild version of the c-coupe syndrome (see below) ;) I don't really think the EVO is that bad in this area... it looks a bit worse because of the ride height, but a lot of new cars unfortunately have this.

mercedes-111-1.jpg