EXCLUSIVE: DeLorean Motor Company Contemplating Building Pontiac Solstice

Xeonidas

The DeLorean Motor Company is a brand without a car and the Pontiac Solstice is a car without a brand. That leaves the company wondering: if John DeLorean were still alive, would he try to save Pontiac? Or one Pontiac? As we all know, the folding of both Pontiac and Saturn has left the small RWD platform without a home. It also left GM's Wilmington, Delaware plant without a purpose. The new DeLorean Motor Company, which we toured last summer, is currently the main keeper of the DeLorean flame and up-keeper of the world's fleet of DeLoreans. They're also producing a small series of upgraded second generation cars. Could they also carry forward the spirit of a company enriched by John DeLorean's vigor and genius?

"JZD always said that the best memories of his automotive career were at Pontiac, and that connection between JZD and Pontiac is probably one of the better known associations among car enthusiasts," said James Espey, Vice President of the DeLorean Motor Company.

The company has released the above drawings and acquired a Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe for evaluation. DMC also says they're excited about the prospect of "putting several hundred people back to work" in Wilmington, though it's unclear at how much capital it would take to acquire the plant and the source of funding for such an endeavor.

Until we get more information we're just going to sit back and enjoy the prospect of GM's Kappa platform getting a second life.
500x_2011_DeLorean_Solstice.jpg

IMHO he Solstice Coupe is one of the best original designs to come out of the states for a long, long time.

I'd like to see it contiue for a few years but I'm not sure if it really needs to be DMC-12'd

They're idiots if they fire up the old Wilmington plant and let the UAW back in. :p

Better to buy the plant and tooling, then move it to oh... Oklahoma, where there is a closed GM plant and right-to-work laws. And lots of animosity towards the UAW (considering that the UAW is why the plant is closed.)

I just love the DMC logo. i'd buy a car just to have that cool mirrored like logo on it.
Then all I need is a fluxcapacitor and I'm good!

The last thing we need is something that looks like an Aston Martin.

I like it, but I don't see it happening. It will also be difficult for a small company to pull off even with the tooling.

But the Solstice was 95% done, so maybe they could make it as God (a.k.a. Bob Lutz) imagined it.

I like it. It seems far fetched, but I like it.

On a related note, I saw my first Solstice GXP Coupe the other day at an autocross, and I really liked it. I hadn't heard that Pontiac, rest in peace, was doing a coupe version. It was a really good looking car.

The last thing we need is something that looks like an Aston Martin.

I slap you, I slap you, I slap slap slap you!! :idiot:
What we need is more cars that look like Astons and less like the sickenind clown cars! See Seat Altea Freetrack. AstonMartin at least paints their cars.

Last edited:
While they are at it, they can also resurrect the Fiero :p

You knew it was coming

lolcatcfb36f34558852eec9aaa229c2016.jpg

So that mean a new back to the future movie 2 year before the car is up for sale and when it goes up for sale no one will buy it right ?

There's only ONE Delorean to me and the Solstice is not it. If someone wants to bring back the Delorean, this is the car they SHOULD/MUST have to make:

1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

There's only ONE Delorean to me and the Solstice is not it. If someone wants to bring back the Delorean, this is the car they SHOULD/MUST have to make:

Delorean can basically build you a new DMC-12.

It would be nice to have a car with a body that doesn't rust.