Exhaust Art

Top Gear Girl

Not A Dude
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4268562.stm

An artist's provocative plans to keep a car running every day for a year to highlight air pollution have been condemned by campaigners.
Mark McGowan's plan to leave a tap running to highlight water wastage, ended with the threat of legal action.

Now he says he will turn on a car's engine for eight hours a day in a car park in Peckham, south-east London

I normally think most modern art is rubbish, but I think this ones pretty cool. :thumbsup: Shame they don't say what the car is?

Oh and for the envio nutters heres what an expert said about it

Ben Barratt, from King's College, said exhaust fumes become more diffuse and less harmful as they mix in the atmosphere. "Unless anyone stood right next to the car for eight hours a day, it probably won't make that much difference," he said

I love artists :)

This guy is silly though - I mean, that's just a waste of petrol - he's not exactly making a statement - he just wants to appear in the news.

i hate art that isn't real art

painting, statues, buildings, ... those are art (unless they're abstract, then they're just monkeydrawings)

not a running engine.

a few years ago an so-called artist wrapped some pillons in bacon for a month. the stink that came from it was supposed to be art :bangin:

What's to stop somebody getting in and stealing this "art"?

bone said:
i hate art that isn't real art

painting, statues, buildings, ... those are art (unless they're abstract, then they're just monkeydrawings)

not a running engine.

a few years ago an so-called artist wrapped some pillons in bacon for a month. the stink that came from it was supposed to be art :bangin:

Well, I consider a running engine to be music, which is a form of art, but exhaust stains I consider to be, well, stains.

YF19pilot said:
Well, I consider a running engine to be music, which is a form of art, but exhaust stains I consider to be, well, stains.
Unless they look like Jesus, in which they're fortuitous economic opportunities.

This is gonna cost this guy a fortune, how's a poor artist going to afford it? :lol:

LMAO wtf I hope his motor seazes up and he blows a rod.

That's....dumb 8), it's not art...and a waste

I recall a few years ago Volvo (though it may have been Saab) did a test where they drove one of their cars through central London - the exhaust gases were cleaner than the air going into the engine - so the car was actually cleaning the air.

And just think, this 'artist' is probably receiving government assistance of some form.

^yeah, i heard that too, i think it was a saab

it was to show how good their catalyc converters were

What a waste and a damage to the environment. Surely if you want to make a point about pollution, adding to the problem isn't really going to help. I agree with his views about how ridiculous it is that people drive such short distances, but doing it himself isn't exactly going to help anyone. Perhaps he has acheived his aim though as the press covarage will cause a reaction.

And please people, don't be arrogant enough to say 'who cares about the environment'. Being sparing with car useage doesn't hurt anyone, and it's important until we find alternative ways of fueling our cars. I'm not saying to anyone that we should get rid of our personal transport, but there are not going to be any road left to drive on if we're not careful, cause they'll all be under water! I hope to eventually work on developing alternative renewable fuel technology...and before people start worring about electric cars or fuel cells....don't worry...they're no better than internal combustion engines. Ever thought where the electricity to charge an electic car or produce the Hydrogen for a fuel cell vehicle comes from? Bio fuels are the way forward IMO...provided we can find enough land to grow the stuff on!

ArosaMike said:
What a waste and a damage to the environment

Ben Barratt, from King's College, said exhaust fumes become more diffuse and less harmful as they mix in the atmosphere. "Unless anyone stood right next to the car for eight hours a day, it probably won't make that much difference," he said

LOL. Less harmful to someone standing right by the exhaust yeah....but it's still yet more fossil fuels being burnt for no reason. I would say it poses no direct health risk to anyone living in the area, but adding to the millions of gallons of petrol burnt each day, does nothing for global warming or poor air quality!

Top Gear Girl said:
ArosaMike said:
What a waste and a damage to the environment

It still harms the environment to an extent, though. Especially with the combined fumes of millions of automobiles used daily. It may not add much, but it is still adding to the problem and is even more unnecessary than the SUV drivers who need to send their kids to soccer practice.

hmmmm, what kinda point does some modern, clean-burning car make? if it's Japanese you won't even hear the engine running :lol:

they need my 2 stroke bike.... smoke out all the the residents of nearby buildings :lol: that'd make a point 8)

That car by itself is no harm...

you wanna know what harm is? Today on Los Angeles's 405 freeway in a two hour traffic jam...talk about god-awful stench and heat. Thank god I live 84 miles from L.A., and vow never to go there again 8)

That's nothing. You want stupid "art"? Here in Canada, our government gave a "Modern Art" grant to a guy... want to guess what his "art" was?

He masturbated into test tubes, and hung them from trees at a national park. :yucky:

WTF is wrong with art these days? Maybe I'm just not "avant garde" anough to understand it. :roll:

^ Ewwwwww :yucky: - and WTF indeed. Nice to see your tax dollars being put to good use.