• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Exotic Car Rental

klutch

Courteous urinator
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
1,913
Location
Vancouver, BC
Car(s)
Do it for me.
Hey guys. I know this is one of my first posts, and I probably shouldn't be starting new threads right away...but I had a question for anyone that has rented (or tried to rent) a high-end car from a specialized agency, like Gotham Dream Cars or Beverly Hills Car Rental. I'm seriously looking into this type of venture, and went to check out lease rates today for some AMG Benz's, a GT3 and M3's. I think the area I'm in has the market for something like this, but I definitely need more info before I pursue this further. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated; I know you guys are as into cars as I am, and some of you have probably looked into this. Thanks in advance!
 
Are you talking about hiring a car from them? Or starting a business to hire cars out?

Was a little confused. :?
 
I had the same business idea a while ago. Forget about Bill Gates, you'll need to melt the gold streets of heaven to pay for the insurance.
 
I'm not sure, BUT I heard from a friend that he said it would cost $2500 USD to rent a Ferrari.


I also know that my friend is renting a supercar for his senior prom. (All he needs is his dad to go and rent it) You can call it "going all out."
 
Janus said:
Are you talking about hiring a car from them? Or starting a business to hire cars out?

Was a little confused. :?

Sorry, I meant starting a business to hire out. As far as insurance goes, the customer provides their insurer information, from all the companies that I've taken a look at....although it would be a good idea to have general coverage in my name. As for the rental rates, a competitive price per day for a 360, for example, would be around $1500 US, looking at the competition.
 
I'm not too sure the exotics, ie. Lambo's, Ferrari's and the like, would be a good place to start off - I think some nice Mercedes and BMW's would be the better idea; nice and high-end, but nondescript enough to appeal to the business class, which I would think would make up a good portion of business....
 
hmmm, if you go bonkers and spend a lot of money for an afternoon in a car, it better be somethng exclusive. i don't think many people would come and rent a CLS or sth, if they want one, they'll buy one
 
Well...a Benz would be a lot cheaper to lease/rent than a Ferrari, and there seems to be a demand for something other than the usual Chevy Malibu that Avis would rent out. I was talking to a sales guy at the Lambo dealership here, and he was saying that he gets regular inquiries as to where high-end cars like his could be rented. I think lots of people travelling on business would pay a bit (or a lot...) more to go from a Crown Vic to a S500 or something...
 
aznkukuboi said:
I'm not sure, BUT I heard from a friend that he said it would cost $2500 USD to rent a Ferrari.

Yeah, they are hugely expensive to hire and the insurance is insane if they get damaged.

I only know about costs in London. A V8 Vantage is 650 pounds a day and a DB9 is 750 pounds a day. I know that you can get an SLR for around 1100 pounds a day and a Rolls Royce Phantom for 1300 pounds a day. OUCH!

aznkukuboi said:
I also know that my friend is renting a supercar for his senior prom. (All he needs is his dad to go and rent it) You can call it "going all out."

Oh my god! This is my psychic prediction! Young, inexperienced driver, showing off in his NON-AUTHORISED, UNINSURED super car. 5 minutes before he wraps it around a tree, or a curb or, lord forbid, another car.

What kind of idiotic, irresponsible parent would do that for their child! :thumbsdown:
 
Hertz has some Jags, Land Rovers, and other premium brands in their lineup. But they do not have Mercs and BMWs.

Where are you planning to start this business? I think an area like Southern California would be perfect. (We have the largest market for supercars in the world here!) You can also take a look at the destinations of these well-to-do go. I know a few businessmen who travel to Los Angeles but have trouble finding a suitable car to drive to parties. Usually, they hire a limosine and get driven everwhere.
 
klutch said:
I'm not too sure the exotics, ie. Lambo's, Ferrari's and the like, would be a good place to start off - I think some nice Mercedes and BMW's would be the better idea; nice and high-end, but nondescript enough to appeal to the business class, which I would think would make up a good portion of business....

I was just about to say that. A majority of people I know who rent exotic cars generally have something very nice at home in their garage and like to have something of the same kind when they travel for business, it also lets them try out other cars and write it off as a business expense.

I know when my Dad went to the US recently he got a DB9 to try it out to replace the Conti GT.

So I think it is better to start off and appeal to the business community.

But you have to remember that it is a business and it will cost you to own, run and maintain these cars. It's not like you are going to be grabbing the keys of a different one each day to drive to your favourite clubs in....at least if you want to stay in business.

Plus it will cost you a fortune to acquire these cars to start with. So you won't turn over a profit for quite sometime most likely....by which time the cars will be old models and have to be replaced. :p
 
you're forgetting one thing that is a big problem to exotic rental companies:

people who rent them obviously cant afford to buy the cars, and to get the most out of their $1500 or whatever, they hammer the car like crazy, far far more than any normal exotic owner, and i'm guessing even more than the test drivers at ferrari. in the end, if the car is something like a ferrari, the repair costs (many many many $ thousands) fall on you to fix since no one will rent a car that doesnt work or has issues.

think back to the <10 000 pound italian exotics on TG
 
I only know one company around here where you can rent a Ferrari and stuff like that... A F430 will set you back ?1150 per day and that only includes 200km. The insurance has an own-risk of ?10000.
Supercar rental can be a good idea, but who need to really consider the costs behind it.
 
Here in Finland it costs 2000? to rent a 360 Modena for a day.. They have other cars, mainly luxury drop-tops which are going for like 200-300? per day. The prices are quite high, because I don't think they make a lot of business in a place like this. And this company isn't even located in the capital, which I think is outright madness :bangin: Who the hell wants to come to Tampere to rent a luxury car, no big businesses here really..
 
You could make a lot more money renting out big SUVs with chrome wheels and TVs in the headrests.

There's a place near me that charges the same for a Hummer H2 as they do for a Porsche 911. Weird.

:yucky:
 
Skoshi said:
Here in Finland it costs 2000? to rent a 360 Modena for a day.. They have other cars, mainly luxury drop-tops which are going for like 200-300? per day. The prices are quite high, because I don't think they make a lot of business in a place like this. And this company isn't even located in the capital, which I think is outright madness :bangin: Who the hell wants to come to Tampere to rent a luxury car, no big businesses here really..

Well there are always things you are not going to understand :roll: Maybe someone simply owns these cars, but put them in a company to save taxes or other stupid reasons like that.
 
AutoMX said:
you're forgetting one thing that is a big problem to exotic rental companies:

people who rent them obviously cant afford to buy the cars, and to get the most out of their $1500 or whatever, they hammer the car like crazy, far far more than any normal exotic owner, and i'm guessing even more than the test drivers at ferrari. in the end, if the car is something like a ferrari, the repair costs (many many many $ thousands) fall on you to fix since no one will rent a car that doesnt work or has issues.

think back to the <10 000 pound italian exotics on TG

That's a good point, and I was a bit worried initially too...however, the cars would be on a 2-3 year lease term, one of the benefits to this is the inclusion of factory warranties on them. That's not to say there won't be other costs involved...but the nice thing is that there's usually a (relatively) minimal depost on the larger volume cars, like a Mercedes, and monthly lease rates are about equal to the average price of letting a car out for a day. But you're right; anyone renting a Lambo or Ferrari is going to want the most for their money - but the catch is that its their insurance covering the car, enough to persuade most people to reign in their right foot.
 
AutoMX said:
you're forgetting one thing that is a big problem to exotic rental companies:

people who rent them obviously cant afford to buy the cars, and to get the most out of their $1500 or whatever, they hammer the car like crazy, far far more than any normal exotic owner, and i'm guessing even more than the test drivers at ferrari. in the end, if the car is something like a ferrari, the repair costs (many many many $ thousands) fall on you to fix since no one will rent a car that doesnt work or has issues.

think back to the <10 000 pound italian exotics on TG

gotham dream cars have a solution for this: track their babies' every move through GPS! the second they see you being like the STIG, they can remotely disable the car and take it away from you! :lol:

their rental policy seems to cover the entire gamut. you can't drive past the speed limit (obviously) or even take it to a race track. the only thing you can pretty much do is cruise and be a poser!

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/rental_policies.htm
 
I honest think its a better idea to do something like the P1club instead of renting cars.. it makes more sense and its much better long term as you have constant income
 
POWERRR said:
gotham dream cars have a solution for this: track their babies' every move through GPS!

Even the small rental companies do that now. People complained about it because they found extra fees on their bills for going over the speed limit when they turned the car in. On 18-wheelers they have the same thing and it monitors RPMs and other engine data.

If you go for the businessmen class, such as myself, you better have cars that are not common. Like a fully loaded Audi A8 W12 with the rear center console. Same layout for the VW Phaeton W12.
 
Top