No 56k: Experts on electrical sockets report! It's got holes in it!

That's interesting Spectre, good to know I have it as backup. The outlet is pretty far from the tub though.

As far as smiley face outlets go, I had never even realized ours looked so weird. If you look at my picture you'll see the two prongs aren't even the same size, so it really does look like a startled face.

The Danish one is great too, we should do some captions or something.

The reason why one prong is larger than the other is because about 20 years ago, the UL altered its standards to make the two flat prongs "polarized" or one larger than the other so you can only stick a two prong plug in one way. You can still stick an older-style unpolarized plug into a polarized outlet, of course.

The reason why the UL changed to polarized is to make sure that you orient the plug into the outlet only one way - this make sure that when you turn the power switch off on a UL-listed appliance, the electricity does not pass the power switch and enter the appliance (similar logic to why foreign outlets have switches on them.) Otherwise, the appliance can have electricity inside even though the switch is not on. This is superior to the outlet switch because it's automatic and it does not require one to go hunting behind furniture to turn the power on to an appliance.

I didnt know outlets could have switches on them, I see that the danish one has that, and apparently australia too.

The best type is missing here!
You are correct!

The best kind is of course German. It's even got a good name, I present, the Schuko.
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/22/S1steckdose.jpg

Last edited:
Also - Brit outlets like those are really weird looking.

Note that the earth pin goes in first (i.e. the device is earthed before power is applied) and then opens the cover doors on the actual power pins so they can go in.

As a result a child with a paper clip cannot electrocute themselves no matter where they jam it.

Plus of course as the plug only fits in one way, even if you haven't got the optional switch on the socket the power still goes to the switch side of the device.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the unit has several moving parts... which can (and if built by the Brits, will) fail. Which is, um, suboptimal. And yeah, even with that, you can still stick a paperclip in there and get electrocuted.

Don't be silly, we don't actually make stuff... it's all shipped in from China..

In which case, it will break, burst into flames and/or cause cancer in anyone within a 5 meter radius. In addition to poisoning their pets or offspring. :p

How many Finalgear members does it take to screw in discuss a lightbulb receptacle?

So far about a dozen too many. :p

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/22/3060262325_3ab5a18573.jpg

Note that the earth pin goes in first (i.e. the device is earthed before power is applied) and then opens the cover doors on the actual power pins so they can go in.

As a result a child with a paper clip cannot electrocute themselves no matter where they jam it.

Never underestimate a dumb child.

The other thing about UK Plugs is that the faces are all flat making it easier for a good connection with the socket. Round pins are difficult to squeeze tightly in comparison (Our old ones were like Indian ones three round pins and the design was changed due to that deficiency I believe - England 1 Germany 0).

EDIT for reference - India : / http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture100/yuyaoyingjia/product2-s.jpg

Last edited:
I find english power plugs visually quite unappealing. They are too clunky.
PowerPlug_types.jpg

Round pins are still used in the UK for 15amp sockets - like on lighting rigs in theatres and such.

Do you not find with 2 pin EU/US stuff that it is much easier for the plug to be pulled out of the socket?

Round pins are still used indeed. I do lighting stuff at school, and our system has them all. Its 40 years old though, so not all that safe...

And DarkReaper, they are clunky yes, but I find that a help because you know its properly in. And it takes a bit to get it out, so knocking them out is a lot harder.

@ Spectre: I have never seen a plug's flip up device fail. The only dangerous things I've seen with plugs is broken outer casings and the wall crumbling leaving the whole thing dangling from the wire. But I will agree, though it is a good safety feature, it will only stop things like the ends of cutlery, but paper clips will always find a way in. <_<

Actually schuko plugs can be a bitch to pull out. Thats one of the issues mentioned in the wikipedia article about them that it can be difficult for old people to work with.