No 56k: Experts on electrical sockets report! It's got holes in it!

With a US outlet, the grounding pin should be facing up, as to look like an upside down smiley face, so if something were to fall down on the plug when in the socket, it will hit the grounding pin first, instead of the actual power pins to avoid any type of damage/fire.

Round pins are still used in the UK for 15amp sockets - like on lighting rigs in theatres and such.

Yep, and you can also get baby 5A round pin ones for lights

resize

Old standard - I grew up in a house with these. 3A (Lighting), 5A (Most domestic stuff) and 15A (Power like 1.5 KiloWatt fires) were usual. They were fused in a fuse box in the basement in my case.

/EDIT bloody dangerous when mixed with 240 volt 50 Hz. ....

With a US outlet, the grounding pin should be facing up, as to look like an upside down smiley face, so if something were to fall down on the plug when in the socket, it will hit the grounding pin first, instead of the actual power pins to avoid any type of damage/fire.

How can something falling down hit a pin on the plug when it's plugged in.

It can hit the plug, which causes the plug to come out of the wall slightly, exposing the pins. The object hitting the plug can cause the outlet to short out, or if done "right" can cause fire.

:rofl:

This thread has given me a great laugh. The US ones Spectre posted are bound to look surprised, you're shoving pins into it's eyes and mouth!

If we're going for confusing though...

2008101515739prosmallpic.jpg

Hot piss.

Edit: Backup for a second. I think we're all missing the strangest thing about this thread...

A swede who doesn't keep things spotlessly clean. :eek:

Edit(2):

I'm seeing faces everywhare now!

Me too!

http://img11.imageshack.**/img11/900/speakernos.jpg

Last edited:
I love it how there is currently a three page thread on electrical sockets.

Also the 50Hz rate means better image quality in Pal.

only spatially though. Worse image temporally.

Doesn't matter because Movies are filmed at 24fps so ntsc actually has to invent a whole lot of pictures to make it fit the framerate.