No 56k: Experts on electrical sockets report! It's got holes in it!

Some countries put the electrical outlets about 1' below where we normally mount wall switches. To them, it makes sense.
Psst, has anyone told them that it doesn't?

Psst, has anyone told them that it doesn't?

Yes, but they seem to like their outlets with moving parts, so... :shrug:

And there is a certain amount of logic for them to have it there... but not much.

I love it how there is currently a three page thread on electrical sockets.
:lol:

n621601765_1738311_702.jpg

:mrgreen:

Some countries put the electrical outlets about 1' below where we normally mount wall switches. To them, it makes sense.
We have them down by the floor with the switches on. It just makes it easier with chargers and stuff to switch them off but leave them plugged in. Most stuff I just leave on though.

Also possible benefit when small children get their paperclips out?

Also putting a separate switch is just a pain, this way its all in 1 unit not running a load of cables through your walls

I've always called the computer style sockets "Euro-leads", or, if somebody doesn't know what I am referring to, "kettle-leads.

over in .be they look like this :

stekker.jpg

and

stekkerdoos.jpg

its a girl AND a boy at the same time!!111

But! Most of the time, when charging anything electrical, my plug/hole looks like this

USBPort.jpg

I've always called the computer style sockets "Euro-leads", or, if somebody doesn't know what I am referring to, "kettle-leads.

I've only ever heard them called kettle leads if anything at all. Never Euro-leads. Mostly because I don't see what's euro about them?

Hadn't heard them called kettle leads until 5 months ago. I know where the name comes from but it still makes me laugh.

No always Kettle Leads - never Euro leads. Can not be 'Euro' Leads, not half a dozen Continental jobs worths given out with each one.

^ Hmm, well they are uncommon here. I don't even have one in my bathroom, but I do have this weird test mechanism thing on mine that I'd not seen until now. Hah, like my electrical outlets came with a instruction manual.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/02/22/DSC_0521.JPG

That "test" is actually a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) and is required on all plugs in a bathroom or within a given proximity to a water source. They have been required under the building codes for many years. In the event of an electrical fault (such as dropping a hair dryer in the sink) the GFI will trip and shut the circuit off much faster than waiting for it to trip the main breaker.

Yes, but they seem to like their outlets with moving parts, so... :shrug:

And there is a certain amount of logic for them to have it there... but not much.

The place I work at sells lamps where the wiring comes out of the socket rather than out the bottom of the base. No idea if this really makes any sense, but for marketing they call it "French wiring." This is only used on lamps that are made of solid crystal, and would look stupid with a rod drilled down the center...

UK plugs are the best. They are a bit clunky though, this is because most of them are fused.

This is good as the fuse can match the appliance.

I've never seen a US/Euro plug with a fuse built in.

I've never seen a US/Euro plug with a fuse built in.
That's because the fuses come before the electrical outlet, and are in a grey control panel somewhere in the building.

Standing on a UK plug, is twice as bad as getting kicked in the nuts.

That "test" is actually a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) and is required on all plugs in a bathroom or within a given proximity to a water source. They have been required under the building codes for many years. In the event of an electrical fault (such as dropping a hair dryer in the sink) the GFI will trip and shut the circuit off much faster than waiting for it to trip the main breaker.

Very smart idea, we don't get these at all, so we can merrily chuck stuff in the bath or kitchen sink and not worry. No, that's not right is it. Electrocuted to fucking death.

Saying that, most houses have these GFIs in the main fuse box.

This thread needs to be stickied for use as stress relief, but it needs a catchier title. :D

Standing on a UK plug, is twice as bad as getting kicked in the nuts.

I don't think i've ever agreed with anyone more, apart from the fact i dont have balls..but whatever the female equivilent is...:)

Why do all your holes look like they're about to cry :blink:

Last edited: