Extended Desktop problem with Radeon X1600

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
I just bought a new laptop (HP nc8430) and it has a really nice graphics card, an ATi Mobility Radeon X1600.

My setup includes an external LCD monitor which I use as my primary display with extended desktop (the laptop LCD being the secondary display).

I have installed all of the latest drivers that I downloaded straight from HP's website and everything is working well, except for that the position of the displays in relativity to each-other is "forgotten" after I reboot.

The best way to describe it is with a picture:

I think this is probably a bug, seeing as there is no reason why it should reset after rebooting, but I should probably ask anyway.

I run dual monitors, but they are identical and side-by-side, so I've never messed with adjusting the physical setting.....but for anyone who uses dual monitors: you should get a program called UltraMon. It's really good and makes things alot easier. It lets you have a separate taskbar for each monitor (REALLY handy feature). Plus it has a bunch of other nice features, such as it adds buttons to every window so that you can instantly move the window to your other monitor or extend it across both, you can assign custom display settings for specific applications, makes it easier to have separate settings for each monitor (wallpaper, resolution, etc.).

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/overview/

Last edited:
I have exactly the same setup as you, laptop (acer) with an x1600, and an additional lcd display. Although at this particular moment I'm not on dual display, I use it quite often. I don't really have problems with it even after rebooting.

Did you try using the catalyst control center thing, it has a Display Manager tab where you can also play around with monitor position etc. Give that a shot, maybe that could work.

^ Yes, I tried setting the config with Catalyst CC - it didn't fix the problem.

Weird, well I've no other idea, everything fine here, same graphics card, external monitor, win XP, no problem. :dunno:

I've looked at ATi's website for updated drivers, and, at first, I mistakenly downloaded the drivers for the desktop X1600 (which is why they wouldn't install). Then I tried to download the correct drivers (Mobility Radeon X1600) to which the ATi "verification" app told me that their "standard" drivers to not work with my card and I need to download and install the driver from my OEM (which I already did).

So, I can only assume this is a bug with the driver and I will be contacting HP. Thanks for all your help.

Drivers for laptops are really a pain in the ass. Well, let's hope HP tech support can be helpful. :)

^ So far, they've been very good. I had to call a couple of times before I actually got my laptop (first time, I had a question about the warranty before I bought it; second time, I had to call to correct my credit card information that I mistakenly entered incorrectly) and I've never had to spend more than ten minutes on the phone. Their business PC support appears to be very good. I'm currently chatting online with a tech about this problem.

I'd take Jeffy777's advice and try out Ultramon. It lets you save settings under different profiles, so all you'd have to do is have a profile for single monitor, and another profile for dual monitors. Ultramon gives a full-featured trial period so you can really test it before you decide to buy it or not. It's one of the few programs out there I can actually say is worth the money.

I got it figured out. An HP support rep pointed me to an older driver, which has solved the problem.

BTW, a lot of the features that Ultramon touts are already included in ATi's Catalyst CC.

I got it figured out. An HP support rep pointed me to an older driver, which has solved the problem.

BTW, a lot of the features that Ultramon touts are already included in ATi's Catalyst CC.

Yeah, I use nvidia though. Plus, I don't think Catalyst CC let's you have a taskbar for each monitor and quick buttons on your windows for instantly moving them to your other monitor. These are the two main features that I love about UltraMon :heart:

Plus you can save and restore icon position, and configure wallpapers and screensavers for each monitor individually.

Plus you can save and restore icon position, and configure wallpapers and screensavers for each monitor individually.

Yeah, ATI Catalyst may have some of those features, but not the ones that important to me.

Yeah, I use nvidia though. Plus, I don't think Catalyst CC let's you have a taskbar for each monitor and quick buttons on your windows for instantly moving them to your other monitor. These are the two main features that I love about UltraMon
The new versions do.

I use Enterra Icon Keeper to remember my icon positions according to screen resolution and configuration.

Well, last time I used an ATI card for dual monitors, all it would let me do is extend the taskbar across both. It would not let me have a seperate taskbar for each.

But I doubt if I will ever get an ATI card again, so it doesn't really matter to me :)