• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Extreme machinery, oversized cargo etc *56k warning*

pdanev

Forum Addict
Anyone here interested in big cargo, extreme machines, big planes, road trains, ships, caterpillars etc?

Since im doing a logistics major im really interested in this stuff.

Some of my favourite machines:

Road Trains:

roadtrain12tu.jpg

roadtrain153dy.jpg

Trains (interesting that in europe they dont really put 2containers
on top of eachother)

train1ri.jpg

train18vs.jpg

Big bird taking off (@rio de janeiro if im not mistaken)

airport5zg.jpg

Busy day:

airport16xb.jpg

A 747 Freighter:

cargooff2vf.jpg

Cargo plain from the inside:

cargoinside8xm.jpg

The mighty Antonov:

antonov16nk.jpg

antonov8ls.jpg

The thing you need to run away from if you see it in your
rearview mirror

caterpillar9bi.jpg

Container ships (Koreans are bulding one that will have the capacity
of about 10,000 20foot containers, 1.5-2 times the size of the ones in the pictures below :shock: )

containerships17ua.jpg

containerships8cw.jpg

You need something to load/unload containers from/to ships, trucks, trains...

containercranes7co.jpg

containercranes10ye.jpg

Always respect mother nature

toughwaters9cq.jpg

Crossing the Panama channel (quite tight, they have to widen it since it cant handle the big traffic anymore. discovery channel
had a nice episode about that)

panama19mz.jpg

panama25sh.jpg

panama8ja.jpg

Landing at....ermmm....dutch people take a wild guess ;)

nl3rs.jpg

nl12pv.jpg

Old Hong Kong airport couldnt really cope with increased traffic + quite badly located

hongkong3yl.jpg

Another tough place to land a big bird
landing1nh.jpg

So anyone here interested in this kind of stuff?

I've got nothing much to say... so I post a funny pic :)

weird365.jpg

EDIT: You migh wanna see "extreme engeneering" series if you haven't already. They show some gigantic pojects, which involve big machinery. Interesting stuff. Mostly building, not transportation though.

well accidents do happen, even such extreme machines are no exception :)

caterpillar54rm.jpg

caterpillar31kq.jpg

caterpillar48xs.jpg

[edit] i've seen them all, thats also pretty interesting ;) im looking to get the new series super structures
or sth like that, thats more about moving objects :)
unfortunatelly didnt see it "online" yet :(

I ride in that China Airline 747...the one with seats

Hey where the A380 :x ?

Ah the Russian beast

My parents have stuff come in from MAinland China to sell to America...they always mention those huge ships and freights...btw, your not supposed to stack ontop of each other in America, well i think people do but its dangrous

airbus is not really among my favourites, but nevertheless its still is a nice piece of engineering

7534648ho.jpg

the a380
7606411zp.jpg

ps: antonov is made in ukraine ;)

You may want to rethink about hotlinking pics from airliners.net here. I am quite sure they go after sites who do.
But they are beautiful pics, nicely chosen. :thumbsup:

As for landing coming in from the sea:
I offer you this !

And landing at old Hong Kong airport wasn't always easy:
Proof.

Me, I am fond of road trains. I drove semis for a while and am very impressed by the size and how they can maneuver in traffic with those.

I reminds me of Sim City somehow - The massive distribution networks. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I'd want to drive one of those massive things though. I like the other end of the spectrum to drive.

Big ships go by my house on the St. Lawrence river. I go out on the Seadoo and jump the waves. :mrgreen:

They really are jaw droppingly big.

^ i uploaded the airliners pics via imageshacks, i hope they wont mind :blush:

seen both videos ;)

[edit] ukd any chance you want to take some pictures of those :roll:

^ I can take some up-close pics on the Seadoo if you remind me when it gets a little warmer. If I can find my digital camera, I could take some pics from land.

Some crazy guys jump their Seadoos off the front waves that the ships make. :shock:

Dark_Templer_102 said:
Hey where the A380 :x ?

I'm sorry, I see the A380 as the Airtanic, which has a date with an iceberg called the 787. Commercial airlines aren't out to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on jetfuel for a single trip, and most routes don't need the capacity an A380 might provide. For cargo, it may serve a good role, especially if it can make transpacific flights. I do believe though a 747-800ER with GE GENx engines would be more cost effective for cargo airlines, since the GENx engine uses 3/8 the fuel that the GE 90 used, and almost 1/2 the fuel that many RR and PW engines use, yet produces the same amount of power. I doubt there will be much passenger traffic by A380, since 95% of world airports would have to redesign large portions of airport infrastructure to support A380s, and rarely do airlines need to move that many people, in both directions. The 787 fits this niche, as it can carry a same number of people the same distance as the 767, at half the cost. It's not so much that airlines need more capacity, its they need cheaper to operate and maintain equipment, so that airlines can start making money again.

There's a reason that Airbus only has 150 orders for the A380, with many of those orders being put on hold, and yet Boeing has landed two deals (AirCanada and AirIndia) in the last two days worth $12 Billion for something on the order of 100 planes, with options for another 75.

The airline industry is another side interest. Logistics might be interesting, but i'll stick with my programming, even though the operation of the airline industry is quite interesting. I also would like to get the EE DVD set from the Discovery Channel, only problem is that it costs $119USD. Maybe after I find a full time job, i'll order it.

Woow hokie, I didnt know that you were such an expert in this field :thumbup:
I'm sorry, I see the A380 as the Airtanic, which has a date with an iceberg called the 787.
good one :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

pdanev said:
Woow hokie, I didnt know that you were such an expert in this field :thumbup:
I'm sorry, I see the A380 as the Airtanic, which has a date with an iceberg called the 787.
good one :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

It's a hobby, at one point I wanted to be a pilot, and then a meteorologist, and now a programmer. If only I could find a job that I could do all three :-D

maybe in the future if we start migrating to other planets with some extremely complicated spaceships, you can combine some of those passions 8)

pdanev said:
I'm sorry, I see the A380 as the Airtanic, which has a date with an iceberg called the 787. Commercial airlines aren't out to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on jetfuel for a single trip, and most routes don't need the capacity an A380 might provide. For cargo, it may serve a good role, especially if it can make transpacific flights. I do believe though a 747-800ER with GE GENx engines would be more cost effective for cargo airlines, since the GENx engine uses 3/8 the fuel that the GE 90 used, and almost 1/2 the fuel that many RR and PW engines use, yet produces the same amount of power. I doubt there will be much passenger traffic by A380, since 95% of world airports would have to redesign large portions of airport infrastructure to support A380s, and rarely do airlines need to move that many people, in both directions. The 787 fits this niche, as it can carry a same number of people the same distance as the 767, at half the cost. It's not so much that airlines need more capacity, its they need cheaper to operate and maintain equipment, so that airlines can start making money again.

There's a reason that Airbus only has 150 orders for the A380, with many of those orders being put on hold, and yet Boeing has landed two deals (AirCanada and AirIndia) in the last two days worth $12 Billion for something on the order of 100 planes, with options for another 75.

The airline industry is another side interest. Logistics might be interesting, but i'll stick with my programming, even though the operation of the airline industry is quite interesting. I also would like to get the EE DVD set from the Discovery Channel, only problem is that it costs $119USD. Maybe after I find a full time job, i'll order it.

thats what I've been trying to tell everyone, (not on this forum) when people keep saying the Airbus A380 is the greatest invention since the 747... honestly, if I was the Airport Operator, I don't see much point in spending so much money to accomodate just 1 Airplane... I think the Airbus would be a failure as no Airports would want to spend money on accomodating it and therefore Airline companies would start cancelling orders, why would an Airline company want to buy a plane that can only fly to limited destinations?

and about the old HK airport pic, when I moved to Hong Kong, the old Airport was still in operation and I remember it was really difficult to land, besides all the buildings underneath, they had to come in at a different angle of the runway, and there was a sign on the mountains that told them turn when they are a certain distance away from it and land... 1 slight mistake would send them flipping over on the runway if they don't manage to keep the plane flat while landing

btw it was hokie that wrote that not me :) (though im sharing the opinion ;) )

landing on HK airport was a real adventure, bulidings and mountains in the way, weather going nuts quite often...no wonder there were so many accidents... :?

SiR_dude said:
You realize, Pdanev, that you can't drift with these big boys quite as easily, don't you?? :lol:

who said that? gimme one and i'll take the soul out of it in 5minutes :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: