Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

What was the last odometer read?

What was the last odometer read?

Some 265.000 miles - which probably makes it one, if not the? highest mileage GT86BRZ in the world, I would say?

Another car to go live on a farm. :D

Some 265.000 miles - which probably makes it one, if not the? highest mileage GT86BRZ in the world, I would say?
Highly likely, outside of test mules. Almost certainly the highest in any state of modification.

May take several years to get there (that's another 74k km/46k miles), but the engine feels strong enough to do that. Transmission may need some repairs though.
If you're talking about that rattle noise idling in neutral that goes away if you touch the clutch or gas, I would LOVE to know WTAF is going on there. It persisted through a clutch and throw out bearing change.

A lot of the rest of the general driveline noise is the chro moly (somewhat lighter) flywheel, which has speed holes. It did go a long way towards making engine rpm change responsive enough to rev match, though.

Also might be worth removing the TRD short shifter to get a bit more leverage back on the stick. It's a bolt on extension at the bottom of the shifter and the location bushing between the shifter linkage and body has different geometry to match. I should have the OE bushing and an OE geometry poly version in a bin somewhere.

Also, the trans is some off the shelf aisin unit common to dirty nissans so there should be good service parts ifi t comes to that.

There's also a guy that has several FT86s the next town over, many with super low miles that I can get a trans from if it comes to it. Then repair this one if needed.

Sounds like there's a wheel bearing going out too, any idea which one? I haven't had a chance to get it in the air to check.

There's also a guy that has several FT86s the next town over, many with super low miles that I can get a trans from if it comes to it. Then repair this one if needed.

Sounds like there's a wheel bearing going out too, any idea which one? I haven't had a chance to get it in the air to check.
I actually hadn't noticed. Checked when I did the brakes pre-covid and everything was fine at the time. May have developed on the drive over.

The drivers front that took that hit would be my first suspect.

Has it always had the rattle at idle in neutral?

I ask because the NV3550 in my Jeep has a reverse idler shaft that is quite noisy, but it is a known characteristic of that transmission and doesn't mean anything is broken.

... how does one change thread flair?

So appropriate in this case :LOL:

You need to ask one of the admins/moderators. They gave the site donors the ability to change it, but you can only do it on your own posts, so I cannot help you with that.

Nope. It's really weird.

It almost sounds like the throw out bearing rattling on the input shaft. Even the slightest touch on the clutch silences it - but that wouldn't track with engine revs silencing it, too.