Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

Looking at an August 24th track day at Summit Point on my old LeMons nemesis, the Shenendoah circuit. Would do July 27th, but I'm booked up that day already.

Last edited:
Looking at an August 24th track day at Summit Point on my old LeMons nemesis, the Shenendoah circuit. Would do July 27th, but I'm booked up that day already.
August 24 = FATT/Jefferson. Not sure why they call it "Friday at the track", when it is really on a Saturday..

August 24 = FATT/Jefferson. Not sure why they call it "Friday at the track", when it is really on a Saturday..

... Hell. Wrong track. Shenendoah is in September.

...... You know what, screw it, I'll do both. Probably best to learn the car while I'm not trying to unlearn the lines for Pintos ("out of the way"), Galaxies ("I'M BIGGER THAN THE TRACK IS!") and Grand Prixes ("Understeer forever").

Tempted to sign the volt up for the August run... but I would probably get stoned to death on my way there by the natives.

Another Toybaru. I hate you all! :p

Tempted to sign the volt up for the August run... but I would probably get stoned to death on my way there by the natives.

Do it! The natives wouldn't know what "Volt" means anyway. They don't have electricity out there!

Last edited:
Do it! The natives wouldn't know what "Volt" means anyway. They don't have electricity out there!

I just want to point out for other forum members that EyeMWing isn't really kidding when he says this. That race track is in West Virginia where there are still a few areas with no running electricity or running water, yet there are towns...

So, lets talk snow tires, because it's mid-July and prices are therefore low.

Obviously I'm going to need some steelies. Most likely custom ones (because eff spacers - for the cost of good spacers I can quite happily just order some custom steelies in whatever pattern and offset I need from all manner of racing suppliers). Do I want to go with smaller steelies and higher profile tires (16's should fit, given the spare wheel is a 16) or do I want to be ridiculous and get 45-series snow tires?

And where the hellballs do you buy Nokians in this country?

1500 miles and counting. I got the diffuser installed last week, but things have been so busy I haven't had a minute to visit my car in the sunlight and take any pictures of it.

What's the bolt pattern on this car? Is it the standard Subaru non-STi 5x100? If so, could you grab a set of 16" wheels off of ANY of the billions of N/A cars that Subaru has made over the past 10 years? They're all 5x100... Legacy, Outback, Impreza...

What's the bolt pattern on this car? Is it the standard Subaru non-STi 5x100? If so, could you grab a set of 16" wheels off of ANY of the billions of N/A cars that Subaru has made over the past 10 years? They're all 5x100... Legacy, Outback, Impreza...

Indeed, they are 5x100. Makes it a pain to find wheels I like due to the bolt pattern.

3750 mile tire rotation (half an oil change interval) got enacted today due to severe rear tire feathering. And by 'severe feathering' I mean 'I've had tires come out from under race cars torn up less than that'. Given outright tire abuse has been restricted to 720 degrees of donut and about five 90 degree dogleg launches, and everything else has been just hard driving, I suspect the factory tires were not chosen for their wear characteristics.

For summer tires, I'm looking hard at Sumitomo HTR-Z2's. We've run at least a couple of them under the FinalGear LeMons GTP every single race it's been in thus far, and they have pretty good wear characteristics and I'm not displeased with their performance. They're also EXCEEDINGLY cheap at about $80/tire. Not great track tires on the whole, but excellent all-around hoonage tires. I also have a set of their slightly less grippy cousins the HTR-Z3 under the Crown Vic. Winters are still a bit up in the air - I'm going to borrow a friend's NA Impreza and make sure the steelies have an acceptable backspacing (I don't trust research resources to get this right) and more importantly, see how it looks on fat rubber.

In related news, I had the car on the lift and am a bit disappointed in the build quality. There is a large plastic underbody aero shield that isn't bolted down snug. It has a solid quarter inch of play between the bolt heads and the underlying hardpoints and could conceivably vibrate like crazy. The bolts are not loose (as in they don't seem to have unthreaded). I didn't tighten it up today, but I'm going to put it back on the lift tomorrow and take some video to ask around if this is: A) Normal and B) Intentional

Keep in mind that the GTP and the Crown Vic are much heavier than the BRZ and the tires might not work as well under a lighter car.

At that price, it's worth a shot. Worst case I do some epic burnouts and get something else. It'll be spring at a minimum before I've managed to kill the factory tires off fully, however, so plenty of time to make up my mind.

Winter, on the other hand, is coming.

3750 miles on a brand new car and time for new tires already? You sure didn't give that car a honeymoon :p

3750 miles on a brand new car and time for new tires already? You sure didn't give that car a honeymoon :p
4000 miles now. And I've owned it for... 36 days. In that time, almost every upshift has involved the little red LED blinking at me furiously. Never been a particular fan of the 'gentle break in period'.

Winter shoes are on. 15,000 mile oil change next week.

The changeover to winter tires might be a bit premature, but I'm going to keep an eye on tread depth and can switch back if we hit a long dry stretch. The changeover was mostly down to the fact that the summer tires were getting noticeably less... Effective during my morning commutes.

I took care of the TPMS problem with an ATEQ QuickSet - which seems to be vaguely unreliable with this car (I had to do the download procedure twice to pull the TPMS codes from the summer wheels and the upload procedure twice to get it to succeed at uploading the winter codes) but seems to get the job done.

I like the look the downsized steelies and fat knobbly tires give it, it's all "HEY I CAN BE A RALLY CAR TOO!"

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70's, and on dry roads the traction control basically has a seizure any time I get enthusiastic - including WOT acceleration in a straight line. It's going to be an interesting couple of months. The factory tires are now officially the noisest goddamn tires on the planet - the Blizzaks are actually quieter.