Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Thank you @EyeMWing for letting me have the opportunity to take ownership of possibly the highest milage BRZ/GT86/FRS.

I'll try to get some photos and put together a PYC this evening. Ran out of daylight to get photos yesterday.

public

Volvomies, volvomies
Car(s)
P26L XC70 D5 and a ton of crap
At the very least it must be taken past half a million km.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
At the very least it must be taken past half a million km.
May take several years to get there (that's another 74k km/46k miles), but the engine feels strong enough to do that. Transmission may need some repairs though.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
May take several years to get there (that's another 74k km/46k miles), but the engine feels strong enough to do that. Transmission may need some repairs though.
If you're talking about that rattle noise idling in neutral that goes away if you touch the clutch or gas, I would LOVE to know WTAF is going on there. It persisted through a clutch and throw out bearing change.

A lot of the rest of the general driveline noise is the chro moly (somewhat lighter) flywheel, which has speed holes. It did go a long way towards making engine rpm change responsive enough to rev match, though.

Also might be worth removing the TRD short shifter to get a bit more leverage back on the stick. It's a bolt on extension at the bottom of the shifter and the location bushing between the shifter linkage and body has different geometry to match. I should have the OE bushing and an OE geometry poly version in a bin somewhere.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
Also, the trans is some off the shelf aisin unit common to dirty nissans so there should be good service parts ifi t comes to that.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
There's also a guy that has several FT86s the next town over, many with super low miles that I can get a trans from if it comes to it. Then repair this one if needed.

Sounds like there's a wheel bearing going out too, any idea which one? I haven't had a chance to get it in the air to check.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
There's also a guy that has several FT86s the next town over, many with super low miles that I can get a trans from if it comes to it. Then repair this one if needed.

Sounds like there's a wheel bearing going out too, any idea which one? I haven't had a chance to get it in the air to check.
I actually hadn't noticed. Checked when I did the brakes pre-covid and everything was fine at the time. May have developed on the drive over.

The drivers front that took that hit would be my first suspect.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
Has it always had the rattle at idle in neutral?

I ask because the NV3550 in my Jeep has a reverse idler shaft that is quite noisy, but it is a known characteristic of that transmission and doesn't mean anything is broken.

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
... how does one change thread flair?
So appropriate in this case :LOL:

You need to ask one of the admins/moderators. They gave the site donors the ability to change it, but you can only do it on your own posts, so I cannot help you with that.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Odds sods and turbos
Nope. It's really weird.

It almost sounds like the throw out bearing rattling on the input shaft. Even the slightest touch on the clutch silences it - but that wouldn't track with engine revs silencing it, too.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
I noticed that. But a new throw out bearing didn't fix it?