Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

Red start button = <3

Hey, I don't judge you! If I had a starter button, you're damn sure it would be red, OEM or aftermarket.

Oh. My GOD.

12 hours later, we're done. Sort of.

3 of those hours were lost due to part incompatibility only discovered on the test drive - using the Perrin rear shift bushing instead of the one that came with the TRD kit causes the driveshaft to have relations with the bottom of the shifter. Of course, that's the most inaccessible part in the universe)

I think my driveshaft center bearing is too sloppy. Might be worn out.

The noise level has gone from "normal car" to "apocalyptic". The stereo now plays second fiddle to GEARS MESHING.
Acceleration is marginally better.
Neutral throttle response is about halfway between street and Goddamn Racecar.
Shift feel is Goddamn Racecar. There is virtually no rubber involved in the process anymore.
The STI logo on the starter button FUCKING LIGHTS UP!!!!!
There's a little bit of clutch chatter.

We actually test drove it without the interior reinstalled. The noise level isn't actually noticeably different.

Like, seriously. If I hadn't stuffed oil into the damn thing until it ran down the side of the transmission, I'd think it weren't filled properly.

We did not install the new clutch line.
We did not replace the clutch fluid.
We did not replace the brake fluid.
We did not replace the coolant.
We did not replace the fog bulbs.
We did not change the diff oil.

Edit: In fact, it's so apocalyptically noisy I'm going to leave it parked tomorrow, take the truck to work and try to stuff more oil in it when I get home.

Last edited:
Oh. My GOD.

12 hours later, we're done. Sort of.

3 of those hours were lost due to part incompatibility only discovered on the test drive - using the Perrin rear shift bushing instead of the one that came with the TRD kit causes the driveshaft to have relations with the bottom of the shifter. Of course, that's the most inaccessible part in the universe)

I think my driveshaft center bearing is too sloppy. Might be worn out.

The noise level has gone from "normal car" to "apocalyptic". The stereo now plays second fiddle to GEARS MESHING.
Acceleration is marginally better.
Neutral throttle response is about halfway between street and Goddamn Racecar.
Shift feel is Goddamn Racecar. There is virtually no rubber involved in the process anymore.
The STI logo on the starter button FUCKING LIGHTS UP!!!!!
There's a little bit of clutch chatter.

We actually test drove it without the interior reinstalled. The noise level isn't actually noticeably different.

Like, seriously. If I hadn't stuffed oil into the damn thing until it ran down the side of the transmission, I'd think it weren't filled properly.

We did not install the new clutch line.
We did not replace the clutch fluid.
We did not replace the brake fluid.
We did not replace the coolant.
We did not replace the fog bulbs.
We did not change the diff oil.

Edit: In fact, it's so apocalyptically noisy I'm going to leave it parked tomorrow, take the truck to work and try to stuff more oil in it when I get home.

Some people, stuff turkeys. EyeMWing stuffs his transmission. :lol:

Hey at least you got the starter button installed. Priorities and all that! :p

Actually, the starter button was basically a freebie. Step 1 of disassembly is "remove the coin tray/USB/audio/starer button panel", and the button is a little plastic pushtab extra once that's done.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention that the frakking rear main seal is leaking slightly (It's a Subaru. OF COURSE it leaks oil!). So next spark plug job is probably going to be a subframe drop to facilitate transmission removal to action that. Because I really don't fancy installing the transmission over my head again. That sucked. A lot.

Last edited:
Identified an interior fit issue that was probably letting in extra sound.
Transmission took an extra 200ml of oil.

Going for test drive.

Edit: That took the edge off.
There is a bunch of NVH under accel. I attribute much of this to the clutch, and it's magnified by the effectively solid transmission mount.
There is, volumetrically, a bunch of extra noise under high RPM cruise. They're all the same noises that were there before, just louder. Probably magnified by the effectively solid transmission mount.
Low RPM cruise is now an experience akin to lugging the engine. It doesn't want to stall, but it is clearly expressing displeasure at having to work so hard to keep up rotational momentum.
There is now a mid-rev band of calmness where things settle down to almost OEM. Unfortunately, in 6th gear, it's around Mach 3. So much for fuel economy.

I can't tie any particular attribute to any particular part conclusively because I changed everything all at once. So hey. Woo!

That said, the fizzing sensation is very much back.

Last edited:
Some of the noise might be an exhaust leak at the rear cat.

Reused the gasket despite my better judgement because of course nobody had any standard 2 bolt 2.5 inch exhaust flange gaskets in stock.

Last edited:
Sitting at 219120 miles right this moment. Just picked it up from its first trip to the dealer since new.

Was in for a metal fatigue recall on the valve springs. I basically got a free head job.

Had them swap the plugs while the engine was out (parts cost what the parts cost because they STILL aren't available aftermarket, and they zeroed the labor because they were taking the plugs out anyway)
They noted two things: First, the clutch is in advanced stages of About to Fall Apart. I had them shove it back together and I'll take care of that this weekend since I have a roadtrip I need this car for next week... They offered to bolt an aftermarket one up for me but the part only arrived today, so no go on that.

They also noted the upper oil pan seal was leaking. Wasn't externally visible or bad yet, but that would have been an engine out job, and the engine was already out so I bit the bullet and had them do it. They cut the engine R&R labor.

So, this brings the lifetime mechanical failure list to:
  • Spark plugs x2 (both overdue for change at point of failure)
  • 1 coil
  • alternator
  • driver's heated seat indicator LED
  • throwout bearing
  • aftermarket clutch
  • upper oil pan seal
  • stereo
  • cruise control stalk

Subaru should give you a new car for the abuse testing you have done for them. Maybe once you hit 250,000.

Probably is the highest mileage. I was planning on ending it this year but the partial engine overhaul has me thinking i should drive it back from the moon now.

Subaru should give you a new car for the abuse testing you have done for them. Maybe once you hit 250,000.
Its not useful testing if it only shows up in their computer system at 8 miles and at 220k miles ?

This thread is your documentation, and the car would just be a trophy for the company.

#MILLIONMILELESBARU

Is this EyeMWing's Million Mile Subaru?

Etc.

Sitrep: "Taking care of the clutch" didn't go well.

The flywheel is badly scorched. Needs to be machined. Which ain't a weekend thing.

Given this is my last working car and I have an 8 day roadtrip vacation with my fiancee starting on Tuesday (we're doing the long distance thing for awhile because of work, so these things are a BIG DEAL) "Send it, we'll change it again in the fall"

8 hours of unsuccessfully trying to seat the input shaft in the pilot bearing later...

Complete failure to send.

My brother is coming by with his fresh set of eyes tomorrow afternoon. We'll either get it stabbed in or pull it all back apart and I'll drop the flywheel off at the machine shop on the way to get a rental car.

Sitrep: "Taking care of the clutch" didn't go well.

The flywheel is badly scorched. Needs to be machined. Which ain't a weekend thing.

Given this is my last working car and I have an 8 day roadtrip vacation with my fiancee starting on Tuesday (we're doing the long distance thing for awhile because of work, so these things are a BIG DEAL) "Send it, we'll change it again in the fall"

8 hours of unsuccessfully trying to seat the input shaft in the pilot bearing later...

Complete failure to send.

My brother is coming by with his fresh set of eyes tomorrow afternoon. We'll either get it stabbed in or pull it all back apart and I'll drop the flywheel off at the machine shop on the way to get a rental car.
Considering everything that needs to be done in the only functioning car you have, a rental sounds like a good idea anyway. The last thing you want is a pissed-off fiancé.