Someone Else's Problem: EyeMWing's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru

State of the union:

The car is filthy, dirty, skanky, wore the fuck out, tired, and in need of a suspension.

Sitting at ACTUALLY a quarter million miles. Seems like I've been saying 'about a quarter million' forever, but it's actually there now. Leaving on a coast-to-coast roadtrip in 4 days. Doing a major service today. Typing this while the oil drains...

Finally put the rear brake pads on. My first and ONLY brake job to date was at 36,000 miles. In 2015. Those were Hawk HP-Plus pads. I got through about 50% of the pad life before deciding "those rotors have been obliterated, they simply MUST be gone by now". I am quite certain the rotors would have completely failed before the pads were actually done. Lost about 3mm off the rotors. I have swapped them for EBC Redstuff. It's markedly quieter and far less dusty (once those Hawks were worn in, my wheels were permanently black).

Was actually going to change the brake fluid, because that also dates to that first brake pad change and I finally got a vacuum bleeder so NEW TOY!!! Last time I put in racey motul stuff. RBF550, IIRC. Was going to do RBF660 but, well, looking at the fluid in the reservoir with my eyes... It looks *NEW*. I'm just going to leave it. The clutch fluid (factory) looks totally rekt, but I don't feel like crawling around for the bleed nipple on that.

Speaking of the clutch, guess what's slipping worse than ever!? Reusing the scorched flywheel nine months ago is turning out to have been dumb. If it lets go on this trip, I'll abandon it at a shop, ship them parts and grab a rental.

Technically I should change the coolant but I don't have enough of the new Subaru stuff on hand.

Speaking of stuff I don't have on hand, I thought I had gear oil, but apparently not. Hm. Might need to go shopping, the diff has been noisy lately.\

Considering whether I want to bolt my "new" (you know, from like a year and a half ago) fender on tonight...

.... I also just remembered the thing has a cabin air filter. That's been in there awhile...

And a regular air filter. Hm. Guess I am going shopping.

I vacuumed the car for the first time in... Maybe ever? Certainly the first time I've vacuumed the back seat.

I found enough quarters in the damned car to pay for it, too. Which is remarkable because I literally do not use cash, except to pay tolls.

2JZ snore.
That giant fuckoff blower is intriguing, I've never seen anyone stick a 6-71 on an import powerplant before.

Putting a blower on an inline engine is somewhat unusual, no?
It comes in sideways, instead of from the top...looks weird.

Last edited:
While that style of blower on an inline engine is unusual, it is not insurmountable.

While that style of blower on an inline engine is unusual, it is not insurmountable.
I mean, one of their original applications was bolted to the SIDE of an inline 2stroke diesel (the V diesels had them where you'd expect, up top)

Pictured: A 6-71 blower on an actual 6-71.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 85
... i should find a 2 stroke detroit and put it in the ambulance. A 4-71 would more than match the stock engine in less space and weight.

I mean, one of their original applications was bolted to the SIDE of an inline 2stroke diesel (the V diesels had them where you'd expect, up top)

Pictured: A 6-71 blower on an actual 6-71.

I meant for a gasoline hot rod setup, but yes, it did come from an I-6 diesel.

... i should find a 2 stroke detroit and put it in the ambulance. A 4-71 would more than match the stock engine in less space and weight.

I heard about this engine a few years ago that intrigued me. It is a new spin on opposed cylinder diesel.

http://achatespower.com/

They were trying to get an oem to buy, but with the current climate , there may not be an all new engine devloped for cars or light trucks. Maybe it will find a niche in the wealthy boat toy world.

FYI: Used 4-71's, 6-71's and 6V-71's are all surprisingly affordable.

Screaming Jimmy for the win. Just not sure how long one would actually want to hear one of those on a long trip.

This bitch is in desperate need of soundproofing as is.

Man, I want a 6.2L blazer purely because the diesel idle is so noisy and for whatever reason, cool sounding to me.

FinalGear insider trading has occurred and I abandoned her at a place in the middle of some farmland and hopped in a rental car to head out and pick up my next acquisition.

Attachments

• PXL_20200912_182649335.jpg
    PXL_20200912_182649335.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 75