F-150 Lightning - EV

10.000 lbs towing ability sounds fairly decent by US standards, right?

EV:s on the European market usually can't tow much if anything at all, and it's a bit of an issue IMO. Most homeowners have a basic covered utility trailer for their various needs around the house. Most of them are 750kg because over that they need brakes and bi-annual inspections just like cars. I really hope the car industry gets their shit together on this.

10.000 lbs towing ability sounds fairly decent by US standards, right?

EV:s on the European market usually can't tow much if anything at all, and it's a bit of an issue IMO. Most homeowners have a basic covered utility trailer for their various needs around the house. Most of them are 750kg because over that they need brakes and bi-annual inspections just like cars. I really hope the car industry gets their shit together on this.

Pretty standard and honestly a tad low as I think this range of trucks now are in the 12,500 range or something. Perhaps @CraigB can shed some light on this.

That frunk looks really strange but it's a good use of space and you wouldn't want anything that high up anyway. I imagine the stability of these will be a lot better than a normal pickup if they keep everything low down.

I agree that the lightning name should be reserved for something a bit faster, if they make a fast version is it going to be the F-150 Lightning Raptor?

I agree that the lightning name should be reserved for something a bit faster, if they make a fast version is it going to be the F-150 Lightning Raptor?

And available in all black with a strange purple/blue graphic? The Ford F-150 Lightning Raptor Nite.

Options being available both for your friend, and for the crowd that's used to and wants the more traditional design is a very good thing imho :)
I 100% agree. More options are always more betterer.

And available in all black with a strange purple/blue graphic? The Ford F-150 Lightning Raptor Nite.
Ooh, yes please. That looks quite stylish, could work as the Knight edition too.

Quick overview, and Sandy recommends buying the long range.

As a pickup truck, it shouldn't have a frunk, but a fred. :p

No, it still should be a frunk, otherwise someone will think it won't need the lid, and put a huge tree or huge pile of gravel in it, and then try to drive that way.

No, it still should be a frunk, otherwise someone will think it won't need the lid, and put a huge tree or huge pile of gravel in it, and then try to drive that way.
The Soviets were way ahead of the curve on this one:

1621588200659.png

So. Starts at $39k, $32k-ish after Government Intervention.

At that price, assuming my stupid activities come together as expected, I would daily the stupid idea, sell the Ram and trade the WRX on an e-F150. IF... And this is a big IF... The range is not majorly impacted by towing 8000lbs.

Yeah no, that’s not gonna happen…
It's not utterly outside the realm of the possible. Diesel (i.e. torquey) trucks commonly return virtually the same fuel economy at low load and moderate (from the engine's perspective) towing, and the thing is a tall, modern pickup truck with aerodynamics that are only improved by a car trailer breaking up the low pressure behind the tailgate.

I suspect where the real losses would figure in is the trailer brakes - the way an electric trailer braking system works is if you're decelerating and your brake lights are on, the trailer brakes are on, converting your kinetic energy into waste heat.

The optimal economy strategy would be to not use trailer brakes until the regen system is maxed out, but that has negative controllability implications.

... The optimal optimal strategy would have regen on the trailer axles backfeeding through a big fat battery cable.

... The optimal optimal strategy would have regen on the trailer axles backfeeding through a big fat battery cable.
That would be quite smart, indeed!

my comment was honestly just going off of other EV consumption figures while towing, they’re all frankly atrocious compared to the regular consumption. Yes the crap aero of the f150 may come into play here (so the baseline is already quite bad consumption wise), but I would still expect a massive range hit with a trailer.

TFLCar did a towing test with a Model X and the range was about a third normal.

They ended up driving for an hour, then charging and repeat.

Need a 66% increase in battery performance, which is increasinfg at a rate of about 6% a year. Be ok in 2031?

So with charging stations being in a typical car parking space, how does this work in a pickup truck and you’re towing? You’re expecting the driver to unhook the trailer to charge?

So with charging stations being in a typical car parking space, how does this work in a pickup truck and you’re towing? You’re expecting the driver to unhook the trailer to charge?

Just push the cars in the next spot

The initial deployment is likely aimed at people who only tow occasionally in small trips and want the electric for commuting use. Some garages near my office downtown have put EV-only spots with chargers in prime parking spots, so the guy-who-doesnt-actually-need-a-truck-but-is-in-love-with-the-image can commute into work, grab one of those spots, commute back, and have plenty of range to tow his jetskis to the local lake on weekends without having to bother with charging along the journey.

It's not like for $39k minus subsidies, these things are going to businesses or serious haulers.