F.Lux

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
Searched, couldn't find anything.
This was mentioned on the Tested podcast, it's a tiny piece of software that 'warms' your monitor up at night, in 'theory' making it easier for you to transition into sleep and to ease your eyes.

F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. F.lux will do the rest, automatically.

flux-shot.png

I just fired it up, and it's very sepia. I should have had it running in daylight too. But I'm gonna try it for a few days and see what happens.

Linky

Been using it for months, great software. Just don't turn the lighting down too low or it looks weird at night.

There was a thread on this a while back, got mixed reviews iirc. Never bothered to try it myself.

Many people complained that it made their monitor too orange. The idea is to match your computer's monitor with your surroundings so that it doesn't strain your eyes so much. Also note that it doesn't work when you have LED or fluorescent lighting.

Been using it for a while and have gotten used to it after a couple of days. Make sure to select the slow transition speed or else you'll burn your eyes! Most people start with the settings near/around daylight and then you can gradually move toward florescent.

Many people complained that it made their monitor too orange. The idea is to match your computer's monitor with your surroundings so that it doesn't strain your eyes so much. Also note that it doesn't work when you have LED or fluorescent lighting.

It works especially well with fluorescent lighting, thats mostly what it was made for. You just gotta tinker with the settings to make it look right.

It works especially well with fluorescent lighting, thats mostly what it was made for. You just gotta tinker with the settings to make it look right.

Really? The colour temperature on your screen should be about the same as fluro lighting. Wouldn't tinkering with it just make everything look orange?

Really? The colour temperature on your screen should be about the same as fluro lighting. Wouldn't tinkering with it just make everything look orange?
You can tinker with it both ways, to really fine tune it.

I had to tone the orange down, I have it so I only really notice it when I switch from PS3 to PC. (Same monitor)
I do like to disable it just before I go to sleep, to see the difference. It's crazy how bright it should have been.

I had to tone the orange down, I have it so I only really notice it when I switch from PS3 to PC. (Same monitor)
I do like to disable it just before I go to sleep, to see the difference. It's crazy how bright it should have been.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell I use to use the computer for extended periods of time without this program.

I'm using it now and it's annoying as hell. At first it was way too orange, then I adjusted it, and now it's just orange enough to be annoying, but it's still bright. I'll keep using it for a few days to see if it becomes less noticeable.

I have my orange set to 3800k, it is noticable, but I prefer it to burnt retinas.

We're young enough that robotic eyes will be a viable option by the time we really need them.