F1: Australia

fbc said:
YF19pilot said:
GAH! They stole Speed's points! I checked the results on the f1 website, and they have Speed pushed back to 11th place (they took 25 seconds off his finishing time)! That means Coulthard gets the points.

The reason for the penalty, not paying sufficeint attention to the yellow flags. Coulthard claims that Speed passed him under a yellow sometime during the race. Speed was also fined $5000 for "use of abusive language to another competitor, thought to be Coulthard, during the post-race hearing" according to formula1.com

They didn't steal the point - it's the rules, you can't pass under a yellow flag, for obvious reasons.

As for the other penalty - I mean come on, telling another drive to 'f#ck off' *in* the steward's hearing?? That's just plain dumb.

Ah, so that's what that was about. The article made it sound like he just threw some random words around in the paddock or something. Yeah, not good to mouth off in front of officials in any racing series...

As for being full of himself, I can understand a bit about being the only American, but to say that the other drivers are humble about their business is a bit of a lie. I think all of the Formula 1 drivers are full of themselves to some extent...after all, they are racing in what most of the world considers to be the top tier of racing. I'd think we would all be full of ourselves if we were running with the best. (Not defending him being full of himself or anything, as that's never any good...)

read about this in the Mirror today - what a dumb ass! Unlucky he lost his points, but swearing during an official meeting with the FIA is just plain stupid!

One reason why button didnt want to cross the finish line is that then they would have had to change the engine (obviously) and therefore loose ten spots in the next race. Now it was just a crash and they can give it a new engine.

yea, that pretty much goes without saying.

The problem is that they lost a potential 3 points on that decision, which they may not get back - it was a big gamble.

honda and jb seem pretty strong judging from past performances this season. i think the decision to abort the finish will redeem itself in imola, provided he does well in qualifying and gets an incident free race on sunday.

Wow. This race was completely insane.... Why were the cars slipping and sliding so much compared to the first two races? What were the weather conditions?

It was overcast and about 18deg or so I guess.... Bit of wind too but not much. There were some nasty looking clouds in the west but they eventuated to nothing (phew!)

As I understand it, the track is basically a street circuit so the surface isn't similar to actual race tracks...

Just finished watching the race. I believe this has been the best race I have seen in a long time. So many things happening, so many close calls. Man it was just amazing. I am a big fan of Kimi, but I gotta give cred to Alonso, he raced like a god.

yeah, I really enjoyed that one as well.

F1 should have more street circuits. Poor JB, what a flameout!, and Speed really needs to think things though if that story is true. He is the posterboy for F1 in the US, and I think both sides need everything to go off well.

I'll be watching this season intently. . . the first time ever for me. :cool:

MercedesAMG said:
i'm pretty sure he was given a drive through penalty

Yeah, but that was in the beginning of the race, we are talking about during that safety car yellow flag when that whole group was fighting for spots, Ralph went WOT and went to the front of the pack when he wasn't allowed to pass anybody.