F1 Mini Stats & Potential Future Champions

F1 Mini Stats & Potential Future Champions

• Total voters

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Potential Future Champions :

Judging from their 09 season's performance, who do you reckon will have the potential of becoming the future F1 champion?

• Felipe Massa
    • Races:116
      Wins:11
      Podiums:28
      Career points:320
      Pole positions:15
      Fastest laps:12
      PODIUM RATE: 24.1%

Robert Kubica
    • Races:54
      Wins:1
      Podiums:8
      Career points:129
      Pole positions:1
      Fastest laps:0
      PODIUM RATE: 14.81%

Romain Grosjean

• Races:4
      Wins:0
      Podiums:0
      Career points:0
      Pole positions:0
      PODIUM RATE: 0%

Mark Webber

• Races:137
      Podiums:8
      Career points:151.5
      Pole positions:1
      Fastest laps:1
      PODIUM RATE: 5.84%

Sebastian Vettel

• Races:40
      Wins:3
      Podiums:7
      Career points:100
      Pole positions:4
      Fastest laps:2
      PODIUM RATE: 17.5%

Nico Rosberg

• Races:67
      Podiums:2
      Career points:71.5
      Fastest laps:2
      PODIUM RATE: 2.99%

Adrian Sutil

• Races:49
      Career points:6

Jarno Trulli

• Races:216
      Podiums:10
      Career points:236.5
      Pole positions:4
      PODIUM RATE: 4.63%

Timo Glock

• Races:36
      Podiums:3
      Career points:51
      PODIUM RATE: 8.33%

Jaime Alguersuari

• Races:5
      Career points:0

S?bastien Buemi

• Races:14
      Career points:3

Vettel! I don't think any of the others will be champions, maybe Massa but not with Alonso in the team...

Voted for Massa Vettel and Rosberg. All of them have prooven for the last 2 years they are fast and good racers.

Vettel! I don't think any of the others will be champions, maybe Massa but not with Alonso in the team...

I hope Massa creams Alonso.
I will never understand anymore what people see in Alonso.

Vettel will be next I reckon although it will depend on RB giving him the car. Otherwise could be Massa but like Karoug can't see it happening with Alonso at Ferrari.

Kubica has the talent as well if he has the car.

Alonso is the most complete driver in F1. Just like Loeb in WRC, he's no-one's favourite but he is the best.

He's the most talented driver in F1.

Anywho, I say Vettel and Rosberg. Vettel clearly has the talent and one day he'll have the car to match. If they re-started this season with the car's everyone has now, I think that would be this year. I think Rosberg will shine on a high level team. He has constantly out performed his team mate and had some reasonably decent moments in a clearly sub par car. He'll do good at a different more competitive team and thats when he'll come out as a true contender.

Vettel and Rosberg are the only real options here. Sadly I think Massa had his chance, and particularly now with Alonso in the team it will be nigh on impossible...

I voted for Adrian Sutil just because I felt like it.

I gave my votes to Vettel, Rosberg, Kubica and Massa(If he is still driving a competitive Ferrari race car)

Massa would have a pretty fair chance next year, considering Ferrari haven't been developing on their current car for the past month or so. So there's probably a pretty good chance they'll be competitive :)

It'll be interesting if it actually is Alonso and Massa at Ferrari next year. It all depends on how Alonso fits the team. I do consider him to be the best overall package in the F1. Massa is very fast, if everything works out for him. But I still need to be convinced that he can make great results if quali and such doesn't work out for him. Something the likes of Raikkonen and Alonso have proven themselves capable of several times.

Ferrari must be in quite a pickle, since Raikkonen has proven pretty competitive in the last part of this season, after his 1,5 season of well.. Lack of will I guess :) I hope he ends up at Mclaren if Ferrari kicks him out, I really want him in a competitive car - I still think he is among the strongest drivers on the grid :)

Rosberg is highly overrated..He's shown nothing at Williams to be considered a Future Champion or Top Driver.

Massa, Vettel and Kubica probably all have a shot given the equipment.

Rosberg is highly overrated..He's shown nothing at Williams to be considered a Future Champion or Top Driver.

Massa, Vettel and Kubica probably all have a shot given the equipment.
I won't argue over Roseberg but I wouldn't cross him out just yet, he simply never had the car to do anything special and I believe he does have what it takes if he gets a run at it.

Voted for Massa and Vettel though, those are the only 2 in the list who have proven to have the consistency a champion needs.

I hope Massa creams Alonso.

Unfortunately I don't think that will happen. Maybe for the first few races, before Alonso can get used to the Ferrari's handling characteristics.

Alonso is the most complete driver in F1.

+1, Two weeks ago at Monza, Alonso said that he might not be the fastest driver all the time, but that he is very consistent, always in the top 5, scoring big points. He doesn't have bad days or good days, consistency is the key.

I think it's an honest reflection on his own driving ability and attitude. He applies himself much better than most other drivers on the grid. Martin Brundle once said that Alonso is like an all-rounder in F1 because he's got the full deck of cards in terms of set-up, qualifying, race pace and having the capacity to work out exactly what's going on around him.

He's the most talented driver in F1.

That I don't agree. In terms of talent, I don't think he is up there with Raikkonen. Kimi's turn-up-and-deliver attitude is a direct reflection of his enormous talent. DC talked about Kimi's enormous driving talent on a number of occasions, especially in his autobiography. He said that back in Kimi's early McLaren years(2002~2003), He was often staggered and amazed by this then young rookie team-mate's talent during testing. DC said that they used to go to the testing sessions together, and Kimi would get out the car between runs, and literally fall asleep at the back of the truck. And the would wake up him, put his helmet back on, go out, and set a blistering lap time, come in, and give some information and fall asleep again. :mrgreen:

Alonso is more of a technical driver, there is no doubt that he is massively talented, but I don't think he is up there with Kimi in terms of pure driver talent.

I don't think Vettel has what of takes to put together a season.

Massa doesn't really do anything for me. Just above average driver and if you put any driver like that in a decent car he can win.

Rosberg just needs a half decent car and he is more than capable. I think he can put lap after lap on par with Hamilton and can pull a very quick lap out of the bag when needed.

Kubica is a consistent driver and definately a possible future world champ.

Don't think we will see many of the other drivers in F1 too far in the future.

DC said that they used to go to the testing sessions together, and Kimi would get out the car between runs, and literally fall asleep at the back of the truck. And the would wake up him, put his helmet back on, go out, and set a blistering lap time, come in, and give some information and fall asleep again. :mrgreen:

I've always thought that Kimi was The Stig.

I'm wondering how many people are taking the refuelling ban (assuming its permanent and not one of those 'idea of the year' things that eventually peters out like one-lap qualifying) into account?

A lot of people are tipping Vettel here, and while I agree his raw speed is there, I can't help think that the refueling ban won't suit him. Firstly, tire management will be all-important, and his hasn't been fantastic this year. Overtaking will also be necessary with short pitstops, and I think Vettel has proved to be a bit lacking here. I think Red Bull should have given him a season in GP2 before F1 to help his racecraft, but thats all academic. Anyway, if the refuelling ban stays, I'm not sure Vettel is a shoe in like many are saying.

The others in that list:

I think Rosberg is a possibility, as he has had some impressive drives through the field like in Germany on heavy fuel loads. His speed is also there, so it could happen if he finds himself in the right car.

Massa is a bit of a question mark now that he has Alonso as his teammate, he may find himself overshadowed. However, he showed last year that he could enter the fight, so who knows...

Kubica - I'll be honest, I find him a tad overrated. However, he is very consistant, so given the equipment, its a possibility.

Grosjean - a bit too soon to tell, but he hasn't really impressed me so far...

Webber is unfortunately a bit too old now, I have a feeling that this year was his only shot. Its pretty unlikely to happen, but not impossible if next years Red Bull is the class of the field, as the refuelling ban regs may suit him more than Vettel, and he's kept pretty close this year, which is a big achievement when you consider he came into the season limping and with no testing. So basically, unlikely but not impossible.

Sutil still makes silly rookie mistakes in his third season, I don't think the consistancy is there, and its hard to see a top team taking him on. He's a great wet weather driver, but I don't see him as a future WDC.

Trulli too is a bit too old and I can't see him getting the car to do it. His race pace is also a bit questionable. So I don't think he'll ever be WDC.

Glock has potential for next year with the heavy fuel loads, so while he may not be the most obvious candidate for future WDC, its not completely out of the question, providing he gets the right equipment - though whether a good team would sign him is debatable.

Alguersuari and Buemi - I've lumped them together because both are very young and driving the worst car on the grid. Though neither have stood out to me this year, I feel a bit bad judging their potential based on 2009, so who knows...

I've mentioned the equipment for practically every driver. So I would conclude that in the end, getting the right car at the right time, like Button has this year, is going to probably be the most important thing in determining a future WDC.

I think this was my longest post ever on this board, and my biggest attempt to be analytical. Its probably fallen on its arse though...:lol:

Nah it was a fun analysis. Your analysis of what can happen with refuel ban gave me a crazy idea:
Since testing is very limited in F1, what if some F1 drivers will go practice in a couple of GP2 Asia races and race with heavy cars.

I know, I know it's very silly.

Nah it was a fun analysis. Your analysis of what can happen with refuel ban gave me a crazy idea:
Since testing is very limited in F1, what if some F1 drivers will go practice in a couple of GP2 Asia races and race with heavy cars.

I know, I know it's very silly.

Not silly, but I don't know if it would be allowed. I remember Ian Phillips of Force India mentioning on the practice commentary a couple of months ago that they wanted to run Liuzzi in GP2 this year to give him something to do, but they couldn't as he had too much F1 experience. The way he said it made it sound like there were rules on it, though I don't know what they specifically are.

they really should bring practice back, or at least put a rule saying "only official F1 new drivers in their first year (or up to 2nd) are allowed to participate". Then put some sort of odometer or something on the car, and make up a policy like "The more laps/distance you do, the more <insert punishment/negative result>". These could be "donate to XXX charity", "reduce your RPMs", "carry XXX more ballast", "restricted to XXX aero/upgrades/wing angles" or something.

This way, teams can run practice only F1 on young drivers but the more they practice, they'll have to sacrifice. It'll be a balance.

Last edited: