F1: San Marino

MercedesAMG

So after a long break, the San Marino GP is finally here. What are everyones expectations? it's gonna be hard to predict anything for this one i think since McLaren, Renault, and Ferrari all did some major upgrades to their cars. Hopefully it won't be another renault that wins.

oh and for all those who live in the US... the race won't be on SpeedTV this time, it will be on CBS.

The race will re-air on SpeedTV on April 30th. I think I am going to wait till that airing to watch it, since CBS's coverage sucks.

About the race, I really want to see a Merdedes win, especially Kimi.

Ferrari is rolling out a new car (or major mods) but i still dont think Schumi will be on top for this race.. even if it is there "home" track

i fear that Alnso will win this race too
and kimi will be on second (if he dosent crash)
i think there will be a real fight for third.. (Button vs Montoya with Ralf as a wildcard)

I have a feeling that Button will make the podium. I'm pulling for Ferrari and/or Montoya. But I know Alonso will sneak in there somewhere, of course

Is Michael going to re-sign with Ferrari? Apparently a couple of other teams are interested....

Firecat said:
I have a feeling that Button will make the podium.

i really hope he doesn't... he is the one driver that i just can't stand. everyone praises him and says he's such a good driver but he has never impressed me... he hasnt even won a race yet

MercedesAMG said:
i really hope he doesn't... he is the one driver that i just can't stand. everyone praises him and says he's such a good driver but he has never impressed me... he hasnt even won a race yet

Button's talent is hampered a bit by the current rules that allow traction control. He is a precision driver especially when it comes to throttle control. Even though he could drive like Alonso, who seems to always simply stomps on the gas and lets the TC sort him out, Button applies the throttle gently, and often the TC doesn't interfere with his actions at all.

Alonso is a safe bet for the victory, but I think Mclarens are also fast if unreliable. We'll see what Ferrari has accomplished during the long pause, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one man in a red suit on the podium. Williams could also pull surprises...

Sadly Imola is not exactly spectacular circuit nowadays. But I hope we'll see a decent race.

i've noticed that as well. especially when the brake/throttle graphic comes up. i've gotten to notice different driving styles with it:

alonso - applies either full brake or full throttle, never mixes both. seems to brake with the right foot.

m.schumacher - brakes through the corner while feathering on the throttle. a left foot braker obviously.

Re: F1: San Marino

MercedesAMG said:
oh and for all those who live in the US... the race won't be on SpeedTV this time, it will be on CBS.

:censored: What the hell! And here I was getting excited about being able to watch a Grand Prix on my birthday! Grawagh!

I'm thinking Button is going to qualify on the podium again, or at least in the top 5. Renault will definately have their field planted up front, and if noone blows their engines, we should see Kimi up front with Montoya probably towards the middle of the pack. The Toyotas and Ferraris are anyone's guess.

Though 5:1 says Super Aguri starts 21/22

YF19pilot said:
MercedesAMG said:

:censored: What the hell! And here I was getting excited about being able to watch a Grand Prix on my birthday! Grawagh!

it's still going to be on, on sunday

go here to find exact time for your location
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/31/utility/main517034.shtml

i'm in NY and it will be airing at 1pm

unfortunatly for us.. it won't be live :thumbsdown:

i don't know bout you. but i'd rather download a torrent of ITV's broadcast rather than watch any of that CBS crap. it's usually out within 24 hours of the race anyway.

MercedesAMG said:
YF19pilot said:
MercedesAMG said:

it's still going to be on, on sunday

go here to find exact time for your location
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/31/utility/main517034.shtml

i'm in NY and it will be airing at 1pm

unfortunatly for us.. it won't be live :thumbsdown:

It's not that I won't see it, it's that I won't see it live and on a channel that actually knows what the hell they're doing (i.e. Speed). And with my school's connection the way it is, I'd end up watching the rebroadcast on Speed before I could see ITV's broadcast...

I don't think MS and Ferrari will win. Since this is one of their home GP's they must be running light for quals. to please the Tifosi.
My favs. are Alonso, Montoya or Kimi to win. The Honda's can not win on their own they need someone to break or crash.

POWERRR!! said:
i've noticed that as well. especially when the brake/throttle graphic comes up. i've gotten to notice different driving styles with it:

alonso - applies either full brake or full throttle, never mixes both. seems to brake with the right foot.

m.schumacher - brakes through the corner while feathering on the throttle. a left foot braker obviously.

I doubt that schumacher is blipping the throttle for the downshifts, I think it's computer controlled. and the same goes for alonso, but I don't think his telemetry is showing that.

I'm 99% sure that the on board gear changing softare is matching the revs to the downshifts - not the driver - especially with the seamless shifts.

^^ But you can hear it from the engine noice that Alonso (or his computer) is not doing it...

The McLarens and Renaults are all running heavy fuel from what we saw in Q3. Ferrari nearly won last year even with a sub-par car. Who knows. Maybe Schumacher might get a win here.

As of now (after qualifying), it can really be anybody's race--Ferrari, Honda, McLaren, or Renault. It's going to be an exciting race for sure. And since I'm in the US, it'll be time delayed so I must resist the temptation to look up the results online! :sleep:

Blythy said:
POWERRR!! said:

I doubt that schumacher is blipping the throttle for the downshifts, I think it's computer controlled. and the same goes for alonso, but I don't think his telemetry is showing that.

I'm 99% sure that the on board gear changing softare is matching the revs to the downshifts - not the driver - especially with the seamless shifts.

oh no. i'm not talking about blipping like you do with heel-toe downshifts. but rather he mixes both throttle and brake has a goes through the corners (no gear shifts takes place). you'd see the telemetry that the little graphs for break and throttle switch back and forth (and sometimes both at the same time)

so michael has finally broken ayrton senna's record for most pole positions. and on the circuit where the man died no less. what dyou guys think of that?

POWERRR!! said:
oh no. i'm not talking about blipping like you do with heel-toe downshifts. but rather he mixes both throttle and brake has a goes through the corners (no gear shifts takes place). you'd see the telemetry that the little graphs for break and throttle switch back and forth (and sometimes both at the same time)

so michael has finally broken ayrton senna's record for most pole positions. and on the circuit where the man died no less. what dyou guys think of that?

I've noticed the difference with Michael's foot work too, he's always playing with the car through the corner and applying throttle gradually - Alonso just goes 'whoomf' and applies WOT (not that I don't think Alonso is equally capable of driving the car on the throttle, but he clearly relies on the electronics more than Michael does)

Congrats to Michael for getting the pole record - though it's a little hard to compare the pole achievements of he & Senna due to the radically different qualifying systems now in place.