F1 teams to set up rival series

jpmfan

Formula One has been thrown into chaos with the news that the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) plan to set up a rival championship in 2010.

World motorsport boss Max Mosley had written to five of the potential breakaway teams in a bid to end the bitter row over budget cap proposals.

But the appeal of the FIA chief does not appear to have had any impact.

Following a four-hour meeting, Fota announced that it had grown frustrated with the stance of Mosley and the FIA.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a Fota statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108488.stm

looks like it's happening. But i don't really see a need for a new thread just for this. there's already a few threads on this issue

looks like it's happening. But i don't really see a need for a new thread just for this. there's already a few threads on this issue

i know there's the thread about if you are in favour of the break away series, and was going to put it there, but thought that its more about the opinions of it, where as this thread could be following the events as they unfold.

Figures. I predict no break away series, and they break away.

Just do as I don't and you'll be okay!

Don't get your hopes up too soon, no one really know whats gonna happen.

Any1 wanna bet on a friday meeting with Mosley, FIA will agree to push the deadline forward a few weeks...

Any1 wanna bet on a friday meeting with Mosley, FIA will agree to push the deadline forward a few weeks...

Agreed. As much I love the idea of a breakaway series, I think this is just the start of a very long battle. There's quite a bit of time before March 2010 and I'm sure the FIA will come back with another proposal. FOTA is definitely playing hardball, which is good, so it'll be a question of who blinks first. The first sign of good news will be if Max confirms more new entrants for 2010.

This is getting worse and worse for the FIA. The tables keep turning and turning. One minute, they're all in and in the next minute, they're not all in and then the next minute, they want out and the minute after that they're starting fresh.

I know Max Mosley's a prick for being the prick he is and the FOTA are heroes in this story, but Jesus, everyone needs to get their act together or else there won't be any decent racing next year.

Well isn't this getting interesting.

If Mosley does this he will - at least in the public's eyes - already have lost. When FOTA has already stated their official position and Mosley still wants to "win them over", it makes him look very desperate. Especially after having gone on-the-record for the last week or so saying "This is the FIA's position. We will not budge. The deadline will not be moved any further than this friday."

So to be honest, this time I really do think it's real. A sad day for Formula One, but a great day for motorsport.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: This I wasn't expecting...

Thank you very much, Max. Thank you for killing F1. :cry:

So to be honest, this time I really do think it's real. A sad day for Formula One, but a great day for motorsport.

Very well said!

Maybe Mosley has to resign now, and F1 can be saved in the last minute...
If not I would be more then happy with a breakaway series. Never kind off liked the FIA. Just too many morons...