F1:Turkey

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
We're approaching another F1 weekend and I'll start with this news.

FIA wins appeal over mass dampers

23 August 2006

Renault?s hopes of using their controversial mass dampers this weekend have been dashed after the FIA International Court of Appeal deemed the system illegal on Wednesday.

The Court quashed the decision made last month by German Grand Prix stewards, who believed the dampers were within the rules, and instead agreed with the FIA?s original assertion that they infringe the technical regulations, which state that no part influencing the car?s aerodynamic performance may be mobile.

The damper comprises a free-moving mass inside a vertical spring, mounted in the nosecone. Its function is to reduce the sensitivity of the car's front end to differing aerodynamic loads, and to counteract the negative effects of tyre rebound over kerbs. (For Technical Analysis drawing, click here.)

Renault had been using the system since the end of last season and a number of other teams have also experimented with the concept. However, no one risked running the dampers in either Germany or Hungary, pending the outcome of the appeal hearing.

The full FIA press release:

DECISION OF THE INTERNATIONAL COURT OF APPEAL

The FIA International Court of Appeal met in Paris on Tuesday, August 22, 2006, to examine the appeal made by the Federation Internationale de l?Automobile against Decision No. 8 handed down by the Stewards of the Meeting on July 28, 2006, concerning the T car of competitor Mild Seven Renault F1 on the occasion of the Grand Prix of Germany and counting towards the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Having heard the explanations of both parties and having examined the various documents and other evidence, the Court quashed decision No. 8 of the Stewards of the Meeting and ruled that use of the device known as a Tuned Mass Damper is an infringement of Article 3.15 of the Formula One Technical Regulations.

The International Court of Appeal was presided over by Mr Philippe ROBERTI de WINGHE (Belgium), elected President, Mr Pierre TOURIGNY (Canada), Mr John CASSIDY (United States) and Mr Anthony SCRIVENER (Great Britain).

The full text of the International Court of Appeal?s decision is available, on request, from the secretariat of the FIA International Court of Appeal in Paris.

Source

Go Schumacher - hopefully he can close the gap further on Alonso. :thumbsup:

Is there any point in saying go Webber? :(

Fuck that cheating german pig.
Go Williams and Webber. Good luck to Button and Honda too, if they are slow in this race its highly likely the public will still disrespect Button... shame.
Button must be as close as possible to Kimi or possibly even ahead. :)

Go Schumacher! I think this race will be awsome!

Ignore the haters and just drive!

After the last race I can barely wait till Sunday. I really wish Button will do well again but more importantly is Shumi closing up on Alonso a bit more for a really good season. Gonna be good!

-Cpt. J.- said:
Fuck that cheating german pig.
Go Williams and Webber. Good luck to Button and Honda too, if they are slow in this race its highly likely the public will still disrespect Button... shame.
Button must be as close as possible to Kimi or possibly even ahead. :)

Button is not ahead of Kimi .
For JB Frank Willimas screwed him when he dropped him for JPM.
BMW saved Ralf because he is German but JB is the better driver.
Hopefully, JB can get to a top team before his time runs out. He is a good driver and not as good as Kimi :mrgreen:

It's a Ferrai front row, well done to Massa on his first F1 pole.

1. Massa
2. M.Schumacher
3. Alonso
4. Fisichella
5. R.Schumacher

Looks like M.Schumacher is will close the gap between him and Alonso.

Go Webber starting from 10th he should have a good race, providing there are no problems with his car.

Finally we got some overtaking on the track and not in the pits...

What a tremedouos race. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This Istanbul track is just awsome, lots of overtaking. The best part was easily the Michael Alonso battle, they were taking different lines all throughout the track. Michael could have got Alonso, when Alonso made a error 3 laps from the finish. And the finish was closer than I expected,
0.08 seconds :eek:

And really happy for Massa :thumbsup: , he should get the Ferrari contract next year.

very awsome race, too bad Alonso finished ahead of Schumi

but their battle was very exciting

Congradulations on Massa for winning his first race

Great race (dispite the first lap)!

Why cant all the tracks have this much opportunity for overtalking?? Great track all and all...

Amazing race. Battle for the second place was epic! Hard to believe I was rooting for Michael.

The track is awesome, especially those 4 long high speed left handers. I wish Gran Turismo would put more of the tracks used in F1.

this weekend was great :) altho i couldn't have a chance to go to the track and watched everything from TV, it was stunning. and yes, nearly 5G while turning left doing 250~kph is great! turn 8 i'M talking about.

but imo the most exciting race was the GP2. that guy.. hamilton, or whatever... he did a stunning job. i think he is the Stig lol :D

Great race indeed. Although it was very obvious Schumi was having alot of trouble with turn 8 he managed to stick to Alonso and nearly overtake him near the end. Good to see Button managed to stay competitive again with the 4th place.
I just don't get what happened to Webber...After the mess he was 4th then about 5 mins later he's 9th...I missed whatever happened there.

Very good race indeed, the Schumacher/Alonso battle was good, shame Schumacher didn't get him. Well done to Massa on his first F1 win.

Well done to Williams for having a car finish. :p Not sure what happened to Webber though I thought he was in for some points, but 10th is pretty good considering his/Williams season so far.

Very good race indeed, the Schumacher/Alonso battle was good
That was very enjoyable!

shame Schumacher didn't get him. Well done to Massa on his first F1 win.
Eh, I dunno about that. I get tired of M. Shumacher winning just about every race. It's good to see a couple of people ahead of him for once...

Blitzr the rims on th Koenigsegg in your signature look like they're going 100mph even though it's standing still....I LIKE IT ;)

Wow two great races! Yeah too bad Massa didn't get enough air time but he was all alone. Great stuff going on behind him. Hopefully Ferrari will have him on for another year. if he continues this till the end of the season. This kid deserves it. First win, first pole.