Fahrenheit 9/11

Fahrenheit 9/11

• I've seen it and liked it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've seen it and didn't like it at all.

• I haven't seen it yet, but am planning to.

• I have no intention to see it.

• Total voters

zenon

Fahrenheit 9/11 - So, how many of you have seen it? What did you think?

I saw it on Saturday night and thought the film itself was amazing. It managed to get a very concise surface message across with a fairly weighty underlying theme. It didn't resort to the sensationalism or use of questionable statistics that Moore used in Bowling for Columbine. I did actually like Bowling for Columbine as well, but Fahrenheit comes across as a much more concise, clear and ultimately more important documentary.

I'm particulariy interested in what all the Americans in the forum have to say about the film. For the Americans especailly, even if you don't agree with Moore's politics, I think it is still a vital film to see.

I haven't seen it, but I plan to eventually. It's so funny to see how stupid Bush is.

And just for the record, I disagree with it being called a documentary. It should be called like an editorial.

Viper007Bond said:
It's so funny to see how stupid Bush is.

I really hope you won't see the movie just for that. I really loved the movie, but some of the people's reactions in the theatre absolutely disgusted me. The majority of the people in the theatre seemed to take it as a comedy - making Bush into some sort of comedic caricature. I think it is especially easy for Canadians to do that: to sit in front of a screen and laugh at how 'goofy' Bush is, rather than viewing him as the most powerful man in the world.

As I was leaving the theatre, a girl in front of me, wearing a trendy trucker hat, faded 'retro' t-shirt and low rider jeans, was going on about how the movie was so "hilarious" and "hardcore". That really scared and disgusted me.

Viper007Bond said:
And just for the record, I disagree with it being called a documentary. It should be called like an editorial.

The movie is strictly a documentary by definition. I'd imagine you probably think it is not a documentary because it is highly opinionated and political, but every documentary is opinionated and political in some shape or form. It's impossible to present a story without approaching it from some angle.

zenon said:
Viper007Bond said:

The movie is strictly a documentary by definition. I'd imagine you probably think it is not a documentary because it is highly opinionated and political, but every documentary is opinionated and political in some shape or form. It's impossible to present a story without approaching it from some angle.
If it's clear that every effort was made to attempt to stay neutral (I agree that it's impossible to be totally neutral), then I'd call that a documentary.
If it's obvious that someone's attempting to reflect their opinion, or tries to have a "point", then I'd say that that is an editorial.

BTW, I know nothing about this movie, what's it about?
If it is an editorial though, then I probably don't want to see it.

ESPNSTI said:
If it's clear that every effort was made to attempt to stay neutral (I agree that it's impossible to be totally neutral), then I'd call that a documentary.

I've seen a lot of documentaries in my lifetime, and I am yet to see a single documentary that is "neutral". Being "neutral" has nothing to do with a movie being labeled a "documentary".

Edit: Check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361596/ if you want a rundown of what the movie is about, especially the 'User Comment' by Jack Christal-Gattanella about half way down the page.

zenon said:
Being "neutral" has nothing to do with a movie being labeled a "documentary".
IMHO, it's about the most impotant factor. :?

just remember our goofy prez when you hear the news saying Bin Laden is captured.

GWB_logo_350.gif

remeber how goofy he is when the taliban was defeated in afghanistan, when saddam's sons were killed, when saddam was captured, when another terrorist is killed.

remember how goofy bush is when iraq is a democratic country on its own with free people living without a dictator.

remember on 9-11 when those bastards flew the planes into the trade center and how Bush vowed not to let it happen again.

remember that when you decide to fund this lunatic and his propaganda. wait for it to come out on cable.

Even though I am not a supporter of Bush, this movie comes across as too opinionated for my taste.

I would go watch this film for entertainment, but also take everything this film says with a grain of salt.

Viper007Bond said:
From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=documentary

Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

Okay, I don't think you understand what makes a film a 'documentary'. We're not talking about a dictionary meaning of the word or even a literary meaning of the word, this is a documentary film. According to film theory, a 'documentary' presents non-fictional situations and facts. It doesn't need to be objective - I would even go as far as to argue that a documentary film can not be objective. Moore's films have always been classified as documentaries by just about every film board and jury going. Furthermore, can you even name a single documentary film that is objective?

justin syder said:
remember that when you decide to fund this lunatic and his propaganda. wait for it to come out on cable.

I was waiting for you to say something like that. :p

Even if you do think Moore is a lunatic, this movie is largely based on facts that can not be argued. Moore is usually written off by the right wing as a lunatic and criticized for using biased and sometimes false statistics (which I will admit he has done a lot in the past) but this movie does not resort to that at all. Throughout the movie he draws some obvious and some not so obvious connections between corporate America, the White House and foreign governments. The majority of what is said in the movie is based purely on fact - even if you disagree with Moore's politics, educating yourself on the facts of such major events never hurts.

Too many Bush supporters seem to cut them selves off from independant media sources and replace a true interest and curiosity in politics with blind faith (I'm not talking about Moore's film here specifically though).

I've watched Bowling for Columbine, and enjoyed it. I'm not going to rush out and buy tickets to see this film, but I might grab it on DVD. Sounds good :)

Viper007Bond said:
I haven't seen it, but I plan to eventually. It's so funny to see how stupid Bush is.

Really think it's FUNNY to see how stupid Bush is??

haz

Funny in a sad, jesus-christ-wtf-is-he-doing kinda way.

Viper007Bond said:
Funny in a sad, jesus-christ-wtf-is-he-doing kinda way.

That I can agree on, that he's funny in that sense..

I liked the segment when he calms the people after 9/11, saying something like (@ the golfcourse) "I will not let this happen again...now watch me hit this drive.."

What a wanker of dimensions..

haz

haz said:
I liked the segment when he calms the people after 9/11, saying something like (@ the golfcourse) "I will not let this happen again...now watch me hit this drive.."

I will never understand this scene...how stupid! :roll:

To understand that scene, you need to understand Bush. Ergo=impossible.

There are some other wankers who want to make a profit off MM, by going against him with making docu's against MM and such. Here are some of these wankers websites:

www.moorelies.com

www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com

www.moorewatch.com

Did they not get his films content, or are they just retardos?!?!

:twisted: 8) :twisted:

haz

justin syder said:
just remember our goofy prez when you hear the news saying Bin Laden is captured.

GWB_logo_350.gif

remeber how goofy he is when the taliban was defeated in afghanistan, when saddam's sons were killed, when saddam was captured, when another terrorist is killed.

remember how goofy bush is when iraq is a democratic country on its own with free people living without a dictator.

remember on 9-11 when those bastards flew the planes into the trade center and how Bush vowed not to let it happen again.

Justin you're ridiculous and your arguments aren't worth shit. CinimoD showed me your argument about the movie and you acted like a little kid without arguments who's pro bush and doesn't even know why :roll:

haz said:
There are some other wankers who want to make a profit off MM, by going against him with making docu's against MM and such.

Did they not get his films content, or are they just retardos?!?!

haz

hmm, i looked at the sites and failed to see how they are profiting from Moore. tell me how those sites are profiting from Moore.

they are simply telling the truth and undoing the lies he tells.

Yeah Bush is out for Iraq's oil. And gasoline prices are really low thanks to him. :roll:

this is a quote from one of the "wanker" sites,

The excellent MooreWatch.com is going to help you save your $8 bucks:

Download a copy of Fahrenheit 9/11

Whoah! Before you complain that we're soullessly trying to take money from Moore's pocket, read what the man himself had to say, just last week:

"I don't agree with the copyright laws and I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people. As long as they're not doing it to make a profit, you know, as long as they're not trying to make a profit off my labor. I would oppose that."

-Michael Moore

So Mike gives his blessing...

:wink: :wink: :wink: