Fastest Cars of 2006...but not really

kekekeke said:
By car I meant any road legal car. Atom, Caterhams, Radicals there are plenty.
Atoms, Caterhams, Radicals, Ultimas, and maybe a couple others, that's hardly plenty, especially considering that they're all strict track cars that are barely road legal. A run of the mill Caterham would have a hell of a time keeping pace with a Z06 as well.

No such thing as barely road legal. Something is either road legal or not. Well anyway, I guess your POV also depends on where you live. In Europe cars including the Z06 tend to be hella expensive compared to the cars listed above.

No hard feelings.

kekekeke said:
No such thing as barely road legal. Something is either road legal or not. Well anyway, I guess your POV also depends on where you live. In Europe cars including the Z06 tend to be hella expensive compared to the cars listed above.

No hard feelings.
Oh come off it, you know exactly what I mean. Barely road legal as in they're essentially track cars with just enough crap on them to make them legal on the street. They're completely useless for the most part in everyday situations, whereas the Z06 could easily be used everyday, and even has a good amount of luggage space under the hatch. They're in different classes entirely, and I'm sure you know this.

As for the price difference, well tough luck for Europeans then, over here it's a hell of a deal. Either way though, I'm pretty sure the Z06 is a damn good deal for a car that could be used everyday, has a roof, won't bottom out on a speed hump, can carry more than a single bag of groceries, and yea, you get the point.

Anyways, as I said earlier, I didn't intend to turn this into a Corvette debate, so I'll end it here.

Of course, but we were talking purely in terms of performance. So I'll end it here as well.

I still dont see how they got away with nicking the f360's headlamps with the Z06.

story15054-picture21422-L.jpg
ferrariforsale.jpg

As Jeremy would say "just work harder, and buy the real thing".

I'm just forever dissapointed every time I see one that it looks like a fake Ferrari, and there is a fat old guy driving it and will never use 1/10th of what it could do.

LOL just wait till the R8 arrives for 70k. The vette would still beat the entry level R8 in staright line speed but not around a track. And seeing as you cant get a Z06 for 70k thanks to markups the audi will be a bargain. Nice looking, fast, reliable and with a class leading interior, never mind that it wont depreciate like a stone like the vette does. :D

Ultima GTR anyone?

Because an Audi supercar won't have any markup at all :roll:

As for it being faster around a track, Audis aren't exactly known for their track prowess, save for Le Mans, which is only because they have no real competition (yay for privateers).

im willing to bet my bippy that the R8 will be beaten by the ZO6 around a dry track, any dry track. And when it comes to reliability, the ZO6 will most likely beat the R8 as well.
but this argument is going no where, the cars arent really similar in anyway.

Well considering the R8 is for the most part a more Audi-ized Gallardo (it shares a ton of components, even chassis design and engines), and the Z06 is faster around a track and in a straight line than a Gallardo, the R8 will be slower than a Z06.

skaternick said:
Because an Audi supercar won't have any markup at all :roll:

As for it being faster around a track, Audis aren't exactly known for their track prowess, save for Le Mans, which is only because they have no real competition (yay for privateers).

So ignorant. you obviously dont know anything about audi's. Firstly since dominating with the quattro every factory backed effort audi has been in they have dominated. Open wheelers, touring cars, DTM, supertouring the list is big, and in many cases after the audi's dominate the field the following season the racing body would ban the quattro system (and any other 4wd system).

And the germans dont allow markups on theyre vehicles. They arent unscroupulous

im willing to bet my bippy that the R8 will be beaten by the ZO6 around a dry track, any dry track. And when it comes to reliability, the ZO6 will most likely beat the R8 as well.

Do you know how unreliable Z06's are? :lol:
And it will, the RS4 did it in 7'58 and thats nearly 2 tonnes.

Well considering the R8 is for the most part a more Audi-ized Gallardo (it shares a ton of components, even chassis design and engines), and the Z06 is faster around a track and in a straight line than a Gallardo, the R8 will be slower than a Z06.

Wrong the chassis is 70% to 80% gallardo, but it will be lighter, and it will have up to 3 different engines. And none of them will be exactly the same as the one found in the gallardo. Ther will be a 600+ biturbo R8.

The R8 is gonna be pissing on alot of peoples parades. And then theres the 500hp RS5 to worry about.

How much is the R8 even going to cost? I quicky googled for a price figure and it landed around $90,000-100,000 in which case they're not really the same price. Also, we're talking about a car that isn't even out yet, so determining reliability and performance is just pure speculation.

As far as the Z06 goes, its fast, and I've seen magazines that have gotten it down to a 3.6 second 0-60, rather then the stated 3.7.

lol you're hardly even worth replying to anymore... Maybe try thinking before you say some of the things that are coming out of your posts?

So ignorant? Don't you know anything about Corvettes? They've kicked ass in sports car racing for 50 years, and have been dominating Le Mans for quite some time now, and those are a hell of a lot closer related to the road cars than an R8 and R10 Le Mans racer is.

And as for the other series that Audi has competed in, the Quattro only was really successful in Group B rally for the first year, then it was getting beaten even by the rear wheel drive Lancia 037 (which went on to win the title over the Audi). In DTM, Mercedes AMG has done quite well against the Audis as well. In other touring car series', the Quattros get great starts, but after that they're even with the rest of the field.

As far as Audi's road cars go, they've consistently been nose heavy pigs until this very latest generation (which still has the engine too far up front really). Reliability-wise they're quite spotty as well, barely being average in JD Power ratings. Then of course you get the uber-sized repair costs that the Germans are so fond of.

And really, do you not realize how much time 15 seconds is over a single lap? Learn a thing or two about racing.

Finally, how was I wrong? I said they are sharing components, which is correct (you even said 70-80% of the chassis), and the basic engine design is shared as well, just like it is with the S6/S8 in terms of the V10. As for the range topping model, it sure as hell isn't going to be anywhere near $70,000, especially if its lighter and more powerful than a Gallardo as you claim it will be.

youngwarrior said:
The GT3 lapped the 'ring in 7'42 whilst being 100horses down, and not have the privilige of any empty track. Really the Z0'6 did the time in 7'42.9 = 7'43 as times are rounded off.

Once the Z06 gets a offcial time with sportauto we will really know how fast that thing is, if it doesnt disintegrate half way through the lap first :lol:

I would like to see proof porsche (or anyone else) hasn't gone on empty track.

Beyond that, the Porsche GT3 better outperform the z06 even if it's got 100hp less, after all it has another $50k USD tacked on to the price tag.

youngwarrior said:
Do you know how unreliable Z06's are? :lol:
And it will, the RS4 did it in 7'58 and thats nearly 2 tonnes.

Lets not get into German reliability, the JD power scores have been posted plenty of times before.

thedguy said:
Beyond that, the Porsche GT3 better outperform the z06 even if it's got 100hp less, after all it has another $50k USD tacked on to the price tag.
Not to mention it's a stripped out, caged, and tuned purpose-built track car.

Mr.K said:
How much is the R8 even going to cost? I quicky googled for a price figure and it landed around $90,000-100,000 in which case they're not really the same price. Also, we're talking about a car that isn't even out yet, so determining reliability and performance is just pure speculation.

As far as the Z06 goes, its fast, and I've seen magazines that have gotten it down to a 3.6 second 0-60, rather then the stated 3.7.

amaerican car magazines manage that with every car, and the real life owner will never be able to replicate those times. And the R8 is going to undercut the 911 carrera S in entry level guise.

They've kicked ass in sports car racing for 50 years, and have been dominating Le Mans for quite some time now, and those are a hell of a lot closer related to the road cars than an R8 and R10 Le Mans racer is.

Ie not very advanced, but why exactly are you beliving in the marketing BS? I love it when americans think taht how witha couple modifications they could turn theyre Z06 into a C6R :lol:

And last i heard the astom martin DBR9's were quite a bit faster than the C6R's. The only place the Vettes have been winning is on home soil. The C6R is one of the few american cars that has competed on a world stage.

And as for the other series that Audi has competed in, the Quattro only was really successful in Group B rally for the first year, then it was getting beaten even by the rear wheel drive Lancia 037

The quattro absolutely dominated the field do you even know what your talking about? The Groupe B quattro was unbeatable, apart ffrom on tarmac, where RWD had the advantage.

In DTM, Mercedes AMG has done quite well against the Audis as well.

is true, but in the other touring car championships were there were no Mercedes audi wiped the floor. They obliterated the american cars in tehyre own series in the 80's.

s far as Audi's road cars go, they've consistently been nose heavy pigs until this very latest generation (which still has the engine too far up front really). Reliability-wise they're quite spotty as well, barely being average in JD Power ratings. Then of course you get the uber-sized repair costs that the Germans are so fond of.
You get free servicing for the first couple years of the cars life, and you americans know nothing about servicing costs. try running a car in europe. ASnd yes they were nose heavy because the chassis are still from the VW platform sharong days. The A6 and new TT are nothing like that though, and neither is the S8.

As for JD power :lol: They always contradict themselves and theres like 3 different surveys of the same thing with different results.

And really, do you not realize how much time 15 seconds is over a single lap? Learn a thing or two about racing.
Yeah except that the 'ring is a huge track, and the RS4 is a 4 seater sedan, and started off life as a car that carries people from a to b in semi luxury. The RS4 is QUICKER than the C6 :lol: Similiar power, alot more weight, not purpose built racer, yet it still quicker :lol:

As for the range topping model, it sure as hell isn't going to be anywhere near $70,000, especially if its lighter and more powerful than a Gallardo as you claim it will be.

Lambo are gonna majorly up the ante with the gallardo, its gonna get lighter, RWD and have alot more power. And audi arent exactly gonna charge +10,000 over its entry level model.

I would like to see proof porsche (or anyone else) hasn't gone on empty track.

I can do that, and I wont even quote from the factory times. Search on this forum for the sportauto 'ring list. Some of those times are quicker than the factory effeort and was done on a public day, ie there were other cars on the track at the same time, and the car was stock straight from the dealer.

Not to mention it's a stripped out, caged, and tuned purpose-built track car.

Read up on the 997, its meant to be a rather comfortable car, and its not all that stripped out, thats what the GT3 RS is for.

youngwarrior said:
Mr.K said:

amaerican car magazines manage that with every car, and the real life owner will never be able to replicate those times. And the R8 is going to undercut the 911 carrera S in entry level guise.

Actually, no. Just off the top of my head they couldn't replicate the factory times from the Ferrari 430, and in many cases I've seen other cars tie or be slower than their factory rated times.

The "real life owners couldn't do it anyways" statement is a completely irrelevant. First of all, legally, real life owners could barely tap the power of most of these supercars because they'd be breaking laws of some type. Also, that sort of statement does not change the fact that it IS possible. If you have a terrible driver, a 95 civic could beat your not-even-built-yet R8. This really isn't worth talking about.

Also, from what I read, the R8 is supposed to be a direct competitor with extra horsepower. My guess would be that the price will be about the same, maybe more, maybe less. I'd guess more top heavy though.

ferrai do inflate theyre times whilst germans are conservative.

However most of the time US publications always get figures that are alot quicker than theyre european counterpart. Its also amusing that many us publications compalian about the lambos gearbox breaking too easy, whilst thats never been a problem so far in europe :lol: Maybe europeans drive teh cars more respectfully when testing?

youngwarrior said:

And last i heard the astom martin DBR9's were quite a bit faster than the C6R's. The only place the Vettes have been winning is on home soil. The C6R is one of the few american cars that has competed on a world stage.

Didn't they mention on the news segment on last season of top gear that the DBR9 got beat at le mans...by the vette?

Audi's domination of Rally ended in 84, if I recall Puegot came in and handed them their ass, then Lancia had the Delta S4 which didn't get enough time to flex.

As far as the tests go on Magazines...

If you use the basis of the driving talent of the driver rather than the capabilities of the car (which are what magazines are trying to show you), then the Porsche's and Ferrari's would be complete shit compared to the vette, as those who can afford them probably barely remember how to drive stick.

When I look at a magazine, and they show me a car, I want to see what the car is capable of, even if I can't do it. If they put a guy who just learned to drive in it, and he runs a 5 second 0-60, even though it's capable of a 3.5, thats not showing me what the car can do.

I may not ever be able to launch a vette into the 3.7 or even 4 second 0-60, but I know if I'm ever own one, and i'm at the track trying it, that if I'm only hitting 4.1, that there's still room to improve my driving, and not solve it by throwing more tire or power at it. Same goes for around the track, if some how I get the balls to go for a 7:50 and all I can muster is an 8:10, I know it's me, not the car. It also might give me a (false) sense of security that there's room left to drive the car faster.

These are the points you always seem to miss. The euro magazines sound to me like they like leaving in as many variables as possible (very unscientific), where as the American ones like to remove all variable possible, such as clearing the track, and getting a driver thats consistant and fast.

Concerning reliability, the ZO6 had a recall for its roof. Thats hardly something to cry about. The RS4 is quicker than the C6 because it IS the "purpose built racer" version of the A4. Think about it, the RS4 costs nearly DOUBLE what the base A4 is.

for the record, i do like the RS4 more than the C6 and i will probably like the R8 more than the ZO6. but the argument here is about lap times.
and speaking of laptimes, the ZO6 went around only .1 seconds slower than the 911 GT3 RS and Ferrari 360CS on the TG track.