Fastest four door saloon in the world

yobbo

Jeremy in his film heaven and hell mentioned that Maserati Quatroporte which doesn't care limiting top speed can do 170mph and that makes it the fastest four door saloon car. However James testing the Bentley Continental Flying Spur says: a top speed of 195mph and that makes it the fastest four door saloon in the world. But then we all know that mighty M5 without limiter does 205mph which makes it the fastest four door saloon in the world. OK so i'm a bit confused right now which car really is the fastest four door saloon in the world?

Re: Fastest four door saloon in the world

yobbo said:
Jeremy in his film heaven and hell mentioned that Maserati Quatroporte which doesn't care limiting top speed can do 170mph and that makes it the fastest four door saloon car. However James testing the Bentley Continental Flying Spur says: a top speed of 195mph and that makes it the fastest four door saloon in the world. But then we all know that mighty M5 without limiter does 205mph which makes it the fastest four door saloon in the world. OK so i'm a bit confused right now which car really is the fastest four door saloon in the world?

I think at the time Heaven and Hell was filmed, Jezza hadn't had time to test the Flying Spur, hence why that's ruled out. The Flying Spur is faster than the Maserati, yes.

The M5 derestricted does 205mph, sure, but the thing is, as-sold it only does 155mph, so really that doesn't count.

And to further confuse things, the Brabus-tuned EV12 does 218mph. It's based on the E-class and has 4 doors, too.

teeb said:
yobbo said:

I think at the time Heaven and Hell was filmed, Jezza hadn't had time to test the Flying Spur, hence why that's ruled out. The Flying Spur is faster than the Maserati, yes.

The M5 derestricted does 205mph, sure, but the thing is, as-sold it only does 155mph, so really that doesn't count.

And to further confuse things, the Brabus-tuned EV12 does 218mph. It's based on the E-class and has 4 doors, too.

artie.jpg

I bet none of them are a match for: Artie! - THE SRONGEST MAN....IN THE WORLD.

No Boss said:
teeb said:
yobbo said:

artie.jpg

I bet none of them are a match for: Artie! - THE SRONGEST MAN....IN THE WORLD.

Are you high on something or you just tought it was time for a pointless post?

:dunno:

Few important points:
-no tuning cars(unless with full factory guarantee)
-no garage firms with 10 cars sold a year
-cars solds "as it is", speed limit is limit and unless there is button or something to remove it, thats the max.

Also good to remember that there is fragile gentlemen's agreement about max speed of family cars.

Remember that just because a car can go 200mph doesn't mean it can handle it. There is a real reason why cars are limited to 155 (and it's costs).

(yes, the M5 possibly could handle 200+, but would it be as adept as a car designed to go that fast?)

the Brabus-tuned EV12 ..
full factory guarantee
more then 10cars made a year
no limiter...

The gentlemen's agreement about max speed of family cars is .. dead..
Mercedes have stoped limiting, Porsche never did..
BMW is going to stop too..

Next to Brabus's collection of nutter Mercedes, which automobile manufacturer produces the fastest sedan(not a tuning company), stock (straight from the factory, without removing any speed limiters)? It's still the Bentley Continental Flying Spur, at 195 mph. Clarkson mentioned the Maserati because that had already been released a year before Heaven and Hell, and the Flying Spur came out later.

So to answer your question, the Flying Spur is the fastest saloon in the world that you can buy straight from a factory without stopping along the way to take off a limiter or add some mods.

If that's too complicated for you, just get an M5 anyway. :p

Yeah, I raised the same question in the Heaven & Hell thread when it first came out.

Blythy said:
Remember that just because a car can go 200mph doesn't mean it can handle it. There is a real reason why cars are limited to 155 (and it's costs). (yes, the M5 possibly could handle 200+, but would it be as adept as a car designed to go that fast?)

The real reason for speed restrictions is the Green party. :)

With the M5, it is aero tuned for 200mph. I doubt BMW would like to sell a car with the potential to become dangerous at its Vmax.

Damn, I miss the TG. Lurker boy is posting again. :mrgreen:

M3lover said:
If brabus was included wouldn't their fastest sedan be the Rocket?

The EV12 mentioned above does 218mph, the Rocket is limited to 350km/h. Which is 217.47mph, according to google.

So the Rocket loses out by half a mile per hour.

M3lover said:
If brabus was included wouldn't their fastest sedan be the Rocket?
Good question.

Brabus tends to put the same engine and tuning into most of their cars. For example, the crazy SLR in my avatar/sig could probably go faster due to better aero/weight but Brabus deliberatly set the speed limiter to 350km/h so that the EV12 remains classified as the fastest. This comes down to the original Brabus E which was a record breaker itself. Brabus want it to be their flagship model.

From what I can read (supercars.net) your sig SLR isen't road legal in tuned trim due to open racing exhaust system, has 660 hp and does 340 km/h (on a closed road or circuit). Dunno what is better Vmax wise, 70 hp or better aerodynamics. Seems to be the hp since the EV12 and rocket are faster.

Redliner said:

Oh no... totally sober, and it's not totally a pointless post. Since you're from Brazil you prolly never saw the show Pete and Pete. It's a show from my childhood and I was watching some older eps. on Googlevideo.

No Boss said:
Redliner said:

Oh no... totally sober, and it's not totally a pointless post. Since you're from Brazil you prolly never saw the show Pete and Pete. It's a show from my childhood and I was watching some older eps. on Googlevideo.

Really, I never saw it.

No Boss said:
Redliner said:

i used to watch Pete and Pete all the time. i remember when he dug is his way out of his room with a statue of liberty statue.

bartboy9891 said:
No Boss said:
Redliner said:

i used to watch Pete and Pete all the time. i remember when he dug is his way out of his room with a statue of liberty statue.

Or when little Pete gets a real estate license and sells their house, big pete tries to convince another family not to buy it by saying somthing like "We have to many memories here... this is where my brohter took his first steps.".... he looks up at the ceiling and there's tiny muddy footprints on it.