Fastest Golf slowed by Aussie heat

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Australia?s extreme temperatures has forced Volkswagen to reduce the power of its performance hero.

Australia has been denied the most powerful version yet of the Volkswagen Golf.

The Golf R has just been launched in Europe with a 199kW turbocharged four-cylinder, but the German company says Australian-specification models will use a slightly detuned engine owing to concerns with the country?s hot climate.

Power drops to 188kW to safeguard the hot-hatch?s engine-cooling system, though torque remains unchanged at 350Nm
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/fastest-golf-slowed-by-aussie-heat-20100201-n78l.html

Wow that's pretty lame, I would have to assume the American's will get the same limited version

Programme

Car(s)
'06 SAAB 9-3
What?

Surely parts of Europe have similar climates to most of Australia. The highest average monthly summer highs are lower in Melbourne and even Brisbane than Madrid or Marseille. Sure, we have extreme heat now and then, but that occurs elsewhere in the world too.

I smell BS.

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
What?

Surely parts of Europe have similar climates to most of Australia. The highest average monthly summer highs are lower in Melbourne and even Brisbane than Madrid or Marseille. Sure, we have extreme heat now and then, but that occurs elsewhere in the world too.

I smell BS.
So do I, I smell we don't want to have a model with more power than the Audi that they'll charge an extra $50k for

Reckoning

Hahahaha what fuckwits.

There are many MUCH MORE powerful turbo cars here, and they cope fine.

Volkswagen, eat some concrete and harden the fuck up.

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
Why doesn't the engine management sense heat with some sort of magic contraption and adapt itself accordingly? :lmao:

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
Why doesn't the engine management sense heat with some sort of magic contraption and adapt itself accordingly? :lmao:
Because I suspect that it has absolutely nothing to do with the engine and all to do with marketting

Seriously, why would you buy the Audi varient over the VW if it was more powerful?

Quadrax

Car(s)
Jap crap
Obviously the coolant and air temp sensors and knock sensors are just put there for the fun of it. <_<

It still makes the same peak torque? There is some serious BS going on.

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
If only someone would invent such a device!

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
It still makes the same peak torque? There is some serious BS going on.
That's well possible though. The R develops 350 Nm between 2,500 and 5,000 revs. They just let the torque drop a bit earlier at the top and thus reduce peak power, but the peak torque remains the same.

Last edited:

Quadrax

Car(s)
Jap crap
^ Yeah I didn't write that very clearly. What i meant was that the excuse of heat for reducing peak power is BS if they haven't detuned the rev range that most people will use most of the time.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Most of us don't live in a desert either.
Fine, most of us don't live in a desert climate. Take Los Angeles for example (a high population city considered hot) -- it's quite a bit cooler on average than say Melbourne.

Dsemaj

Car(s)
2003 Urabus Impreza WRX, 1997 Fraud Falcs EL Wagon
Fine, most of us don't live in a desert climate. Take Los Angeles for example (a high population city considered hot) -- it's quite a bit cooler on average than say Melbourne.
You don't know how cold and miserable Melbourne is! :p