Favourite Cocktails-Recommendations Thread

motogpboy

Car(s)
2006 WRX
Just thought I'd start a thread where we could talk about our favourite drinks to have, what we like about them, and also why we'd recommend them to other members. Also, feel free to list recipes for variations on the classic cocktails that you tend to enjoy, so that the rest of us can try them out!

My local higher class bar is owned by a mid 30s guy who was born and raised in Brooklyn then attended Tulane for Uni and has an affinity for New Orleans. He loves classic cocktails and knows more than anyone else I know personally about almost any kind of liquor.

This is my favourite...
23047653.jpg

My current go to drink is a Manhattan on the rocks with Rye and blood orange bitters. I enjoy Manhattans on a broad spectrum of tastes ranging from very dry to a little on the sweet side (depending on my mood) but the blood orange bitters add a little smooth kick of flavour into the rye (or bourbon) that I find compliments the drink very well. Would definitely recommend you guys try it out with that!

I think I may try out either a Sazerac or a Jack Rose tonight. Never had either one but they both sound pretty interesting.

So let me know what you guys like to drink and any special variations you make to them!

<anal>
shouldn't this really be in the Food subforum?
</anal>

:p
But yeah, haven't actually had any proper cocktails before. I've had a mocktail with creaming soda, lemon juice and whipped cream before though, that was nice. And a mock martini from those shake and mix tub things. My granparents on both sides are addicted to them...
I have had a sip of a Singapre Slinger in Singapore before though, that was cool.

Amaretto Sour. Most guys will think it's effeminate or something...until they actually try it.

It takes away the sting of a whiskey sour and replaces it with a sweet tartness that doesn't linger unnecessarily. It's easy to make as well, the ladies love it, it's classy and Italian, and amaretto is smooth enough to begin with to drink on the rocks. It's to me what James Bond is to martinis. :cool:

Also, margaritas are not girly! They just taste like crap.

Edit: to balance out the apparent perceived effeminacy of this post, here are some pictures of chainsaws.

craftsman-chainsaw-35020.jpg

HUS_3120xp_lg.jpg

Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre.jpg

evildead2_02--article_image.jpg

937.jpg

And yes, I do like whiskey.

Last edited:
You know you like margaritas BlaRo, it's ok! We won't judge you that harshly here :tease:

Amaretto Sours are fucking delicious IF made properly :mad: I've had more bad than good ones and I just don't try anymore.

Would a bahama mama work? :lol: I barely drink so.. yea :|

I made that one that they invented on 30 Rock; The Nancy Drew (if served to a man it's called a Hardy Boy)

1 part White Rum
2 parts Diet Ginger Ale
splash of lime

It's actually quite tasty. My mother drinks them now.

Amaretto sour sounds intriguing! I already drink di saronno on the rocks.. would like a new twist on it.

By the way...am I the only one who'd just love to find a nice recipe for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster? :p hahaha.

I had my first Sazerac tonight. Let me tell you, you'd better me ready for it. That thing puts hair on your chest.

Had a Jack Rose as well. It's a very nice way to have an apple tasting cocktail but not have to order an "appletini" :p

I'd recommend the Sazerac if you're just looking for something strong and dry as hell... the Jack Rose is a little more refreshing.

I call it the drink like a fucking man :

1. Whiskey

you can also try substituting scotch, bourbon, or high quality vodka

By the way...am I the only one who'd just love to find a nice recipe for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster? :p hahaha.

There's a few ways to do it:

Recipe from Project Galactic Guide
* 1 oz. (30 ml) EverClear
* 4 oz. (120 ml) Bombay Sapphire or Jeremiah Weed
* 4 oz. (120 ml) Cold Wild Turkey
* 2 oz. (60 ml) Herradura Tequila
* 5 oz. (150 ml) Rum
* 1 worm from bottle of Mezcal
* 2 oz. (60 ml.) Gatorade

Recipe from Drinksmixer
* 35 ml Tia Maria? coffee liqueur
* 35 ml vodka
* 17.5 ml cherry brandy
* 1 dash lime juice
* 7-Up? soda
* dry cider

Recipe from The Bartender's Best Friend
* 1/2 ounce Vodka
* 1/2 ounce Triple Sec
* 1/2 ounce Yukon Jack liqueur
* 1/2 ounce Peach Schnapps
* 1/2 ounce Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey
* 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
* 1/2 ounce cranberry juice
* Fill with lemon-lime soda

Recipe from "Spiders" Nightclub in Hull, UK
* 25ml Vodka
* 25ml Pernod
* 25ml Galliano
* 25ml Blackcurrant
* 25ml Orange juice
* Enough cider to top up

And my favorite, from the official Douglas Adams newsletter, Mostly Harmless:

To make a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster using Terran ingredients:

• Take the liquid contained in a 200 ml (6.75 oz) bottle of EverClear to remind you that your head will be clear forever if you drink too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, and that your brain will clear of anything soon after you start drinking some, if not before.
  • Into it, slowly pour a 750 ml (25 oz) bottle of Bombay Sapphire to remind you of the marvelous beauty of the old Santraginean seas, or an equal amount of Jeremiah Weed in acknowledgement of what has happened to the Santraginean Seas and their lifeforms.
  • Now add 750 ml (25 oz) of Cold Wild Turkey, letting it run into the mixture as we run through life to remind us of all the lifeforms we meet and experience while hitchhiking through the galaxy.
  • Speedily stirring, add 375 ml (12.7 oz) of Herradura Tequila, mixing it in to commemorate the galactic hitchhikers who died of pleasure among the vapors and gasses in the marshes of Fallia.
  • Over the bowl of a silver spoon, let flow 1 litre (34 oz) of rum in memory of the waterfalls and their glorious rainbows encountered on your journeys through the galaxy of life.
  • Next, drop in the worm found in a bottle of Musquil, watching it dissolve into the mixture. If the bottom falls out and the worm survives, drink at your own risk.
  • Finally, sprinkle into the mixture some Gatorade to commemorate the lifeforms which have vanished and are becoming extinct, both sentient and non-sentient, especially those most in need of aid.

Link here. The consensus seems to be to combine as many intoxicating liquors as possible, which makes sense considering the drink in question. "The alcoholic equivalent to a mugging; expensive and bad for the head." If I wasn't such a broke-ass college student I would be making one every night!

Last edited:
the occasional whiskey, cognac, jenever, calvados always taste for more...

but those aren't cocktails right? for cocktails i'm pretty easy, i don't drink anything which has banana, pisang, passoa, safari, coconut or blue curacoa in it. so most of the time only 1 or 2 are left over, so it's not hard to choose anymore

can't go wrong with mojito, and if you server me long island ice tea, i'm sure to have a great night! :D

I like a straight guy drink, an Appletini. (Easy on the tini.) Drinking them makes me feel fancy.
Occasionally i'll drink a Nectarini... I like the nectar.

Long Island iced tea!!! Can turn any boring party into a really good party! (although the aftermath isn't all that pleasant...)

Also, the classic Mojito is still a great drink.

(cant be bothered with looking up recipes, easy to find on google :p)

/edit
just noticed I copied Bone's awnser :p

Well, I still feel that all cocktails are a bit gay-ish (real man drink JD, straight wodka or beer) but as far as cocktails go I think that the mojito is pretty manly :p its not like it's a cosmopolitan or something like that:rolleyes:

Well, I still feel that all cocktails are a bit gay-ish (real man drink JD, straight wodka or beer)

I read this and then looked at your age and then slightly forgave you.

Yea, the first time I got drunk was off of straight Jack Daniels.. But then again I also used to mix vodka, sweet and sour, and mountain dew at parties.

Cocktails are what happen when your palate matures.

Much in the same way that many people new to drinking wine will drink White Zinfandel or Chardonnay or Merlot quite a bit because they are sweeter and easier to the non experienced drinker... and then a few years down the line will start to prefer wines like Cabernet or Sangiovese mixtures.

My GF made me post this...her favorite cocktail is something she calls a Valefor and it's 1/3 Jager 1/3 Southern Comfort and 1/3 redbull. It's so sweet you'd puke your heart out, but she likes it :S

My GF made me post this...her favorite cocktail is something she calls a Valefor and it's 1/3 Jager 1/3 Southern Comfort and 1/3 redbull. It's so sweet you'd puke your heart out, but she likes it :S

Haha sounds like there's a lot of sugar in that drink!!!

I read this and then looked at your age and then slightly forgave you.

Yea, the first time I got drunk was off of straight Jack Daniels.. But then again I also used to mix vodka, sweet and sour, and mountain dew at parties.

Cocktails are what happen when your palate matures.

Much in the same way that many people new to drinking wine will drink White Zinfandel or Chardonnay or Merlot quite a bit because they are sweeter and easier to the non experienced drinker... and then a few years down the line will start to prefer wines like Cabernet or Sangiovese mixtures.

Care to explain the age comment? I mean cmon your 2 years older, what kinda difference is that going to make? (especially since drinking in the US is a 21+ thing and were I live it's 16+ so I'm ahead 3 years ;))

Anyway to me cocktails are what happen when you either have someone who is trying to make an effort in to making a party a bit special or just for the fun of having something different. I don't think throwing alot of stuff together has anything to do with sophisticated things like a palate :p (thats more something for different wiskey's or indeed wine)

Last edited:
I started drinking wine at age 3.. So I've had a pretty good run on that. As you get older your goals change from wanting to get shitfaced to wanting something nice to enjoy.

You're not going to order 15 manhattans to get drunk. You're going to have one or two because they taste good.

As for the age comment I just couldn't see a 35 year old saying cocktails were "gay" and that "Only real men drink ______" But you're young so I forgave you the slip as a lot of people in their early 20s think their tastes are the only ones that are valid... I was the same way.

As for the last thing...I'd hardly call Bourbon, a little vermouth (a form of wine), and a dash of bitters "throwing a lot of stuff together" :p