Feds opening investigation into Florida teen killing

Homicide_offending_by_race.jpg
I can speak about personal experiences, and what I have seen.
I was stationed in the city of New Orleans in the early nineties. I'm white, and was a victim of black on white crime several times. My house was robbed, and I was twice mugged. The black police officers blamed me, asking me why I was living in a largely black neighborhood, and that I should move to a "safer" (whiter) area. I did, moving to a poorer area by the name of Chalmet Louisiana which was overwhelmingly white. I was safe there, and statistically, there was a good reason for that. Black people were vastly over represented in violent crime commission statistics in southern Louisiana, and the US as a whole.
I wasn't racist when I moved to Louisiana, and I don't think I am now. I am wary of black males in their teens and twenties, particularly in poorly lit areas. Statistically, as an aging white male, they are the strangers most dangerous to me. They are the most likely to hurt me or try to kill me. The Trevon case is popular news in a "man bites dog" sort of way. The times I was attacked weren't mentioned in the news. They were of the "dog bites man" type of news, frankly expected by the police, my neighbors, and my co-workers. I think that's racist.

Last edited:
Weird. How long are posts held in moderation here? I posted 24 hours ago, and it still hasn't shown up, where other posts of mine have shown up. No mod explanation either. I'm shown as last poster, but post count wasn't updated.

Weird. How long are posts held in moderation here? I posted 24 hours ago, and it still hasn't shown up, where other posts of mine have shown up. No mod explanation either. I'm shown as last poster, but post count wasn't updated.
New member+images/urls in post = moderation queue. It gets approved when someone has the time to go in and check the post for spam and approve it.

Homicide_offending_by_race.jpg
I can speak about personal experiences, and what I have seen.
I was stationed in the city of New Orleans in the early nineties. I'm white, and was a victim of black on white crime several times. My house was robbed, and I was twice mugged. The black police officers blamed me, asking me why I was living in a largely black neighborhood, and that I should move to a "safer" (whiter) area. I did, moving to a poorer area by the name of Chalmet Louisiana which was overwhelmingly white. I was safe there, and statistically, there was a good reason for that. Black people were vastly over represented in violent crime commission statistics in southern Louisiana, and the US as a whole.
I wasn't racist when I moved to Louisiana, and I don't think I am now. I am wary of black males in their teens and twenties, particularly in poorly lit areas. Statistically, as an aging white male, they are the strangers most dangerous to me. They are the most likely to hurt me or try to kill me. The Trevon case is popular news in a "man bites dog" sort of way. The times I was attacked weren't mentioned in the news. They were of the "dog bites man" type of news, frankly expected by the police, my neighbors, and my co-workers. I think that's racist.
What would be interesting would be a comparison on murder rate against income and education achievement independent of race.

I get the feeling that ghettos (formed of any colour or religion or ethnic background) are really bad ideas.

Hmmm...I wonder what is more scary. Seeing a black teen walking around in your neighborhood at night...or being followed by a hispanic male at night.

What would be interesting would be a comparison on murder rate against income and education achievement independent of race.

I get the feeling that ghettos (formed of any colour or religion or ethnic background) are really bad ideas.
THIS.

Additionally, I think the fact that you, doramia, do not look for deeper reasons behind the graph you posted but just jump to "black man bad!" is the very definition of a racist thought pattern.

Cobol 74, I wrote that I moved to a poorer, albeit white area and was safe.

Dr Grip, I was attacked by strangers. The only thing in common in the attacks were that the attackers were black. Since the people who attacked me had that in common, and since I was attacked multiple times, didn't it make sense to flee the black part of that city at the urging of others including police? Are you are suggesting that as a victim I am racist because I'm not a sociologist?
The second time I was jumped, I knew it was coming. I heard them following me. I hoped I could make it to my car, and flee to safety.

Last edited:
The only thing in common in the attacks were that the attackers were black. Since the people who attacked me had that in common, and since I was attacked multiple times, didn't it make sense to flee the black part of that city at the urging of others including police? Are you are suggesting that as a victim I am racist because I'm not a sociologist?
I am suggesting that, victim or not, anyone who spends time on the internet telling people that blacks are more prone to violence than whites instead of spending this time thinking about the conditions people live in is a lazy person who thinks that by classifying himself as a victim he somehow acquired a right to be racist.
Your case is even more problematic as it seems like you joined solely in order to post in this thread - at least it's where all your posts (apart from one mediocre Romney joke) can be found.

Every time I was assaulted (OK, the single time it happened) it was by Polish people. Do I think that it was because they were Poles and I am German? Or because the Poles still hate us because of 1939? The thought did not even cross my mind.

Last edited:
At the same time ignoring race completely out of fear of appearing racist doesn't make one more knowledgeable either. Most criminals tend to pick their targets based on outward appearances, which may or may not include race. I grew up near Anaheim in California and if I had a dime for every time I was called "white boy" growing up, I could retire and own a 458 Italia by now. Of course I'm not allowed to acknowledge the fact, because that somehow makes me racist. They were obviously hurling race related verbal abuse at me because of their poverty bracket or something. Even though we lived in the same neighborhood and my family was no better off.

Now the people who use to hurl those insults at me were not all the same race either. It's just a sorry fact that in America racism is a sensitive subject and it's pretty much considered impossible for "a minority" to be racist. But they never hesitate to pull the race car against caucasians. It's just more politically correct.

At the same time ignoring race completely out of fear of appearing racist doesn't make one more knowledgeable either. Most criminals tend to pick their targets based on outward appearances, which may or may not include race. I grew up near Anaheim in California and if I had a dime for every time I was called "white boy" growing up, I could retire and own a 458 Italia by now. Of course I'm not allowed to acknowledge the fact, because that somehow makes me racist.
Of course what happened to you is racist as well. I would never deny that, in fact, I have stated on more than one occasion in this very forums that racism is not a whites-only game. But there's a difference between being the victim of racial motivated aggression (ranging from insults to murder) and being the victim of property-related crime like theft or burglary.

I would concur that as a white guy in a mostly black neighborhood you might get singled out as a target for a crime because you clearly are an outsider. Nevertheless, I would not say that this necessarily means you get robbed by blacks who are criminals because they are black because you are white.
That's because a) the reason why the people turn to crime has nothing to do with their race and b) the target selection does work by skin color, not because of it. If you go into a poor neighborhood of people who are mostly of your own race and look clearly out of place, i.e. wealthy, like a tourist, or both, that makes you as much of a likely target as if you look out of place cause of your skin.

"the target selection does work by skin color, not because of it. If you go into a poor neighborhood of people who are mostly of your own race and look clearly out of place, i.e. wealthy, like a tourist, or both, that makes you as much of a likely target as if you look out of place cause of your skin."
Not racist, unless a white cop does it.

"the target selection does work by skin color, not because of it. If you go into a poor neighborhood of people who are mostly of your own race and look clearly out of place, i.e. wealthy, like a tourist, or both, that makes you as much of a likely target as if you look out of place cause of your skin."
Not racist, unless a white cop does it.
If you take the "white" out of the sentence it even is a true sentence.
And that's not only because society tends to judge law enforcement officers by higher standards than criminals, but because cops are not supposed to target people because they look out of place, but because they do wrong.

Weird. I still have a post count of 2? That's odd. I have four posts all ready displayed on this page, one awaiting moderation, and one on a different thread.

Weird. I still have a post count of 2? That's odd. I have four posts all ready displayed on this page, one awaiting moderation, and one on a different thread.
Political section and the Game section do not count towards your total displayed post count.

Political section and the Game section do not count towards your total displayed post count.
Wow, when did the politics section get excluded and why?

:lol:

Political section accounts for probably 98% of my posts.

:lol:

Political section accounts for probably 98% of my posts.

99,9 % in my case. I do post once in a while in the episode threads. So that's why my reputation plummeted from 2000 to 160 a couple of months ago. :p