Ferdinand Piech leaves VW supervisory board

Exactly. Do you have actual factual statistics (no "my radio doesn't work like I want it to, this car sucks" or "I know like 17, count 'em', 17, Volkswagen owners. They've given them nothing but trouble")? Volkswagens have been quite popular in warmer climes (South Africa, Brazil), so maybe it isn't even about the environmental conditions.

I never said that the problem is heat, different duty cycles, different environment (like more dusty for example), different fuel additives. Also didn't we have someone from South America post upthread that even Brazil made VWs have issues there?
And you not seeing VWs on the road? Well of course you don't if they only have like 6% market share..
Sure that can explain why *new* ones aren't running around. What it doesn't explain is where all the old ones? Subaru didn't have a huge market share here in the 90s yet I see a lot of their 90s models still chugging along, despite all the HG issues their infamous for. I see other Japanese marques all the time as well and I mean older stuff not only brand new, what I don't see is a whole lot of older Germans. About the only German cars older than about 10 years I see with any kind of regularity are BMWs though I usually see them parked rarely driving (not saying they are broken but just my observation).

I'm a TTAC reader and usually read Murilee Martin's junkyard posts. He found a VW of some sort with the 1.6 liter diesel that hadn't managed to break three digits on the odometer before it was time for the scrapyard. The comments were along the lines of "yes, those diesel engines always failed" etc etc.

I don't get it. Do you have 50% gravel and pee in your diesel or what's up? There are plenty of VW 1.6 liter diesels still on the road.

This is anecdotal to an extent but of old cars I see on the road most are late 90s early 00s Subarus

So... you're often seeing a car similar to one you own? That's a pretty common feature of human perception. I see Eoses all the time, despite their extremely low production numbers...

So... you're often seeing a car similar to one you own? That's a pretty common feature of human perception. I see Eoses all the time, despite their extremely low production numbers...

I'm aware of it but being a car guy I generally pay attention to different cars. VWs tend to grab my eye because I don't see them often, I saw a Peugeot (sp?) the other day and then another one actually driving a week after! On the other hand I see very few 350zs on the road.

My brain is constantly scanning for new cars when I'm driving, at least in urban areas. It's like the Terminator's first person view from the movies. Badges, the number of exhaust tips, facelift or not, etc etc.

On the other hand, I can barely tell a Harley from a Hayabusa.

You need glasses.

Exactly. Do you have actual factual statistics (no "my radio doesn't work like I want it to, this car sucks" or "I know like 17, count 'em', 17, Volkswagen owners. They've given them nothing but trouble")? Volkswagens have been quite popular in warmer climes (South Africa, Brazil), so maybe it isn't even about the environmental conditions.

And you not seeing VWs on the road? Well of course you don't if they only have like 6% market share..

Those T?V 'facts' don't tell absolutely anything about the quality or reliabilty of a car, they just indicate how owners take care of their cars.

Next time I see you posting ADAC 'facts' to show everyone how reliable this or that car is. :lol: