Ferrari 458 Challenge debuts at 2010 Bologna Motor Show!

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
No more horsepower than the standard version? <_<

570 is a lot though. They did give it more torque at lower revs, which should be nice for accelerations, and powerslides, but the latter isn't really appropriate for racing...

1.6G's of lateral grip? Hot damn, that does deserve a giggity!

glen_quagmire.jpg

Source: Autoblog

Everyone loves a special-edition, track-focused Ferrari and the time has come for the 458 to get a taste of the Maranello magic. At this week's 2010 Bologna Motor Show, Ferrari has devoted its stand to serve as storyboard showcasing the automaker's racing heritage. The newest piece of that history takes the form of the Ferrari 458 Challenge, which is finally making its world debut.

The 458 Challenge is the fifth model to get placed into a single-series racing program. The standard 458 Italia is already such a potent beast that the Challenge keeps the changes away from the engine bay leaving it with the same 570 horsepower as the standard 458 Italia. That said, the gear ratios and calibration of the dual-clutch transmission have been adjusted so that the Challenge generates more torque at lower revs.

Stiffer springs and a lower ride height help keep the body planted around the large Pirelli tires. That rubber hugs 19-inch forged alloys with a central locking nut. The brakes are upgraded to the newest setup that Brembo offers, and the system is paired with the ABS that debuted on the wild-child Ferrari 599XX.

Both the suspension and braking get a helping hand from something that has been reduced: weight. Ferrari has focused on reducing the thickness of the body panels, as well as introducing materials such as carbon fiber and Lexan.

All of the upgrades found on the Ferrari 458 Challenge result in a potent, track-ready machine that is faster than the 458 Italia it's based on. The 458 Challenge hit Ferrari's home Fiorano race track for numerous test sessions, and during the course of development, it was able to post lap times two seconds faster than the Italia. During testing, the 458 Challenge also pulled lateral grip numbers in the neighborhood of 1.6 g's. Giggity.

00-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

01-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

02-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

03-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

04-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

05-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

06-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

07-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

08-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

09-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

10-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

11-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

12-ferrari-458-challenge-world-debut.jpg

Last edited:
challenge = customer racing
scuderia/whatever they come up with next = lighter faster ...
The race version never had any extra HP afaik

I assume this is this year's Ferrari Challenge car. If it is, I am soooo thankful that the Ferrari Challenge is coming to Laguna Seca this year. I can't wait to work that race trackside!:)

so will they release a 458 CS, drop 25 kg and charge another 20,000 dollars? :think:

That being said, they could've just made this a "track pack" upgrade/purchase and offered it on the standard 458, it isn't a new model or a more powerful engine, just reworked and added on parts...

so will they release a 458 CS, drop 25 kg and charge another 20,000 dollars? :think:

That being said, they could've just made this a "track pack" upgrade/purchase and offered it on the standard 458, it isn't a new model or a more powerful engine, just reworked and added on parts...

It's a racing car.

And I still don't like the looks of this thing...

Sacrilege I say. It's epic in it's beauty. As subtle as fondue and as savage as a mountain lion. ( I guess.. )

Sacrilege I say. It's epic in it's beauty. As subtle as fondue and as savage as a mountain lion. ( I guess.. )

Those headlights are anything but subtle. They're screaming LOOK AT ME IM ANGRY RAAAARRRRR. They're ugly and they belong in a Lambo where the rest of the body is angular too, not in a Ferrari where the body is flowing and curvy and the headlights aren't.

And whoever is so obsessed with LEDs in car design, please, drink some hemlock.

I admit, the LEDs are revolting, even on a Ferrari. But the whole package just keeps me glued to the 458. That front air intake, the slats at the lights, the bodywork...it's all worth drooling at.

I admit, the LEDs are revolting, even on a Ferrari. But the whole package just keeps me glued to the 458. That front air intake, the slats at the lights, the bodywork...it's all worth drooling at.

Yes, I agree it's mostly worthy drooling at, except the headlights. That said, I wouldn't give a damn if I was inside it, and it's probably the best car in the world.