News: Ferrari F450 packed with F1 Technology

I wish Ferrari would stop trying to constantly make links between their F1 car and their road cars.

I mean, seriously, not much of F1 tech will ever make it onto a road car in the first place.

I wish Ferrari would stop trying to constantly make links between their F1 car and their road cars.

I mean, seriously, not much of F1 tech will ever make it onto a road car in the first place.

Carbon fibre, kevlar, electronic differential, carbon ceramic brakes were all F1 derived.

Also, regarding the "F450", I'll wait until I see the actual car before I make any comments.

Umm....A transaxle just means the transmission and the differential are part of the rear-axle, not that the engine and transmission are in a transverse engine layout...huge difference. Corvettes have used them since the C5, porsche used them in the 944 and ferrari has used them since the early 90s in their street cars
Indeed, you are right, but I was not wrong, either: I searched the term "transaxle" and found that this word has different definitions in Englisch and German use. When a German says transaxle, he means that engine and transaxle-gearbox are separated. I did not know that there is a different definition in the English language. Sorry for the confusion.

Considering that they build road cars so they can race in F1 i think the links are justified.

Considering that they build road cars so they can race in F1 i think the links are justified.

Ferrari hasn't been about selling cars to go racing in a LONG time. There is absolutely ZERO F1-specific tech in these cars. Anything you see is merely a gimmick that resembles F1 tech but in reality has very little in common with their race cars.

See, the thing is, not much on their road cars is actually directly from F1. True, Carbon ceramic brakes and Composite materials are used in F1 cars, but if we're going to get that specific you could say the F1 guys simply applied Aerospace technology.

It just seems (to me anyway) that Ferrari is constantly needing to justify why certain things are on their road cars, and "F1-tech" for "F1-tech"'s sake rather than because it offers a genuine engineering advantage smells like something from the Marketing department rather than the Engineering department. I mean, are you seriously telling me that a small bit of Carbon fiber on the center console with shave a second off a car's Fiorano lap time?

^ Agreed. Marketing is a strange strange land, and not just in the auto industry.

I guess its all about the image, but I don't see Ferrari needing to "create an image" in today's world. I mean, the Ferrari name itself is already enough of an attention grabber.

Not only that, but Ferrari probably makes money on F1 with their insane marketing, sponsorships, advertising and whatever else they can get their hands on.

Ferrari hasn't been about selling cars to go racing in a LONG time. There is absolutely ZERO F1-specific tech in these cars. Anything you see is merely a gimmick that resembles F1 tech but in reality has very little in common with their race cars.

See, the thing is, not much on their road cars is actually directly from F1. True, Carbon ceramic brakes and Composite materials are used in F1 cars, but if we're going to get that specific you could say the F1 guys simply applied Aerospace technology.

Are you serious? Just "small bit of Carbon fiber on the center console"?

Take for example the Ferrari Enzo. It's WHOLE body is a carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite, which is EXACTLY the same as Formula 1 cars for the past two decades. The only difference is that the F1 cars have a monocoque structure.

The Ferrari F40 had a FULL kevlar and carbon fibre body on it when in it was introduced in 1987, with kevlar only introduced into Formula 1 a few years before that.

Or how about Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) brakes? Which offers unparalleled stopping power compared with normal brakes.

And the F430 includes the E-Diff, a computer-controlled limited slip differential which can vary the distribution of torque based on inputs such as steering angle and lateral acceleration, a world's first on a road car, but Ferrari's F1 cars had been using that for years.

More evidence? Consider the Ferrari F50. It had a naturally-aspirated 60-valve V12 engine that was a larger capacity clone of the 3.5 L V12 used in the 1992 Ferrari F92A Formula One car.

That's just some off the top of my head.

And you don't consider this to be "F1-derived"? If you think that all this technology is just a "gimmick" and is straight from the marketing department, that you are an idiot. If such technologies are not F1 derived then what do you consider are?

And why shouldn't/wouldn't Ferrari market their cars as having such technologies? If the car has it and it makes the car perform better, then why shouldn't Ferrari, as company, market it as such?

Last edited:
And the F430 includes the E-Diff, a computer-controlled limited slip differential which can vary the distribution of torque based on inputs such as steering angle and lateral acceleration, a world's first on a road car, but Ferrari's F1 cars had been using that for years.

Methinks not. Mitsubishi has been using this in EVOs since the early 90's.

But anyway, I think what these guys are trying to say is that all this "F1 tech" listed as being in the upcoming F450 is just bogus.

The F450 will feature engineering ideas from Ferrari?s F1 and GT racing programmes, including radiators ahead of the front wheels

That's just a sad statement.

a double-clutch seven-speed transaxle gearbox

Like the one in the M3? Double clutch transmissions are not a new thing, nor is having seven gears. Put a sequential dog box in it, then maybe call if F1.

understeer-cancelling software and an upgraded version of the Scuderia?s traction control.

I'm assuming this is referring to the 'E-Diff' and regular old traction control. Again, nothing F1 specific here.

I'm sure there are actually F1 derived technologies on the F450, but the marketing department hasn't done Ferrari any favors so far aside from relying on fact that most people won't understand what they're talking about either way and that's mostly how marketing works... mostly.

I would love to see an authentic dog engagement sequential 6 speed in a Ferrari road car. Even manually operated, it would be just awesome. Plus, unlike their "F1" trans (biggest misnomer ever) which is just an automated H-pattern manual, sequential transmissions are TOUGH and last a long time. Plus you just can't beat the sound of a sequential bumping up through the gears. (shouldn't have a need for the straight cut gears though)

This article was written by an idiot, and it has resulted the whole internet to blindly jump on the Ferrari hate band wagon. All I see is an epic fail in the advertising campaign (or in this case, the author of the article), but not a single bit from Ferrari's side.

Ferrari have produced loads of supercars filled with F1 technology, stop arguing over a silly article. We all know that double clutch gearbox and radiators ahead of the front wheels has nothing to do with F1, now move on.

The same can be applied with the Merc SLR and Mclaren F1. So stop this drivel now.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Just "small bit of Carbon fiber on the center console"?

Take for example the Ferrari Enzo. It's WHOLE body is a carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite, which is EXACTLY the same as Formula 1 cars for the past two decades. The only difference is that the F1 cars have a monocoque structure.

The Ferrari F40 had a FULL kevlar and carbon fibre body on it when in it was introduced in 1987, with kevlar only introduced into Formula 1 a few years before that.

Or how about Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) brakes? Which offers unparalleled stopping power compared with normal brakes.

More evidence? Consider the Ferrari F50. It had a naturally-aspirated 60-valve V12 engine that was a larger capacity clone of the 3.5 L V12 used in the 1992 Ferrari F92A Formula One car.

That's just some off the top of my head.

And you don't consider this to be "F1-derived"? If you think that all this technology is just a "gimmick" and is straight from the marketing department, that you are an idiot. If such technologies are not F1 derived then what do you consider are?

And why shouldn't/wouldn't Ferrari market their cars as having such technologies? If the car has it and it makes the car perform better, then why shouldn't Ferrari, as company, market it as such?

Where the hell did I say just a small bit of carbon fiber on the center console? Or him for that matter?

As far as the use of carbon fiber body panels, it's not F1 technology, it's application of aerospace tech into the automotive field. Porsche's 959 was made with the same style of body construction as you saw in the F40, and was on the market first. It was also being designed for Group B racing BEFORE the F1 cars with kevlar body panels were, so F1 wasn't the start of it. Hell Pagani, for example, had a full carbon fiber body before the Enzo was even a twinkle in Ferrari's eyes.

Carbon ceramic brakes were in development across all racing bodies in the early-mid 70's and several teams brought them out in multiple series within a couple years of each other. It is racing derived tech but not Formula 1 tech.

THe E-diff is NOT new and NOT a tech derived from Formula 1. In fact F1 was a bit of a late adopter. In fact it's an adaptation of technology seen in tanks, and has been used by Nissan/Mitsubishi/Subaru/BMW for years now.

The F50's engine was one of the very few examples of F1 technology directly translating into road cars, and while the tech used int it wasn't proprietary it was based on the racing V12.

Most technological advancements that you see on road cars actually came from rally cars, especially during the Group B period. I'm not saying there haven't been incidents of Formula 1 contributing to road cars but let's be honest, a lot of it is purely marketing.

I have NO problem with Ferrari marketing their road car tech but to say it's straight out of F1 is intellectually dishonest.

This article was written by an idiot, and it has resulted the whole internet to blindly jump on the Ferrari hate band wagon. All I see is an epic fail in the advertising campaign (or in this case, the author of the article), but not a single bit from Ferrari's side.

Ferrari have produced loads of supercars filled with F1 technology, stop arguing over a silly article. We all know that double clutch gearbox and radiators ahead of the front wheels has nothing to do with F1, now move on.

The same can be applied with the Merc SLR and Mclaren F1. So stop this drivel now.

Sorry but I hate what Ferrari has become. I used to love them to bits but now their cars are ugly, dull and far too focused on technology instead of the driver. I've driven the full current range and I'd rather have a 355/550/456 than any of the lot. If these cars were made by someone other than Ferrari the amount of praise would be greatly reduced. However objectivity is a bit of a rarity these days.

And the SLR is a joke of a hyper car, and has been for quite some time. I really don't see how that's a valid defense of the marketing drivel that Ferrari has been throwing out as of late.

BTW Mad Cow, thanks for the neg rep, I appreciate it.

"idiotic comment, please educate yourself with some correct information"

And yet you do absolutely nothing to refute my point, and instead just post up the equivalent of "stop making fun of me". I understand you love Ferrari but there is no need for your hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Ferrari's dream since when? It always been Lotus's dream to build a lighter car than the last, as everyone knows their wet dream is to build a car that weights nothing!

I wouldn't be surprised to find Lotus employ's physicists to figure out how to harness black holes so not only will their cars weigh nothing but they will weigh NEGATIVE what the driver does...

I wouldn't be surprised to find Lotus employ's physicists to figure out how to harness black holes so not only will their cars weigh nothing but they will weigh NEGATIVE what the driver does...

Pretty sure black holes are super-massive...