News: Ferrari F70 - The Enzo successor [LaFerrari]

I said 3-5 seconds on a typical lap. That doesn't mean 3-5 seconds at Fiorano. Fiorano would be closer to 3 seconds, a track like VIR which is 3.2 miles would be closer to 5 seconds.

So then what are we arguing here? I thought the original argument was that if the Enzo had the same tires as LaFerrari, the Enzo's lap time would be close?

So then what are we arguing here? I thought the original argument was that if the Enzo had the same tires as LaFerrari, the Enzo's lap time would be close?
He says the gap would be significantly smaller - too small for his linking, given the development time and increase in horsepower.

Ferrari Enzo Shift Speed: 150ms
F70 Shift Speed: Somewhere around 10ms based on other DSG units

I'm not sure how many [up]shifts (I don't think downshifts would really effect time) happen during a lap of Fiorano. On the conservative side, let's call it 10 shifts. That's 1500ms, or 1.5 seconds compared to only 0.1 seconds for the F70. If it were 20 shifts, that would be an entire 3 seconds of time lost due to shifting gears. Between simply the gearbox and the tires, not to mention aero, I don't really see where all that 300 extra horsepower is going. I'm sure on a longer circuit it would begin to widen the gap, but still. I would have much rather seen the F70 with the the same horsepower as the Enzo but, say, half the weight. Now THAT would impress me.

Last edited:
The car doesn't stop in time while waiting for the next gear. :p

112_0808_32z%2b2008_ferrari_430_scuderia%2bshift_time_comparison.jpg

It doesn't stop, no, but the acceleration goes negative as this chart shows. I'm not really wanting to work out the math on it (my physics is a bit rusty, I'm sure one of ze Germans will oblige :p) but I bet the Enzo loses about 100ms on every shift.

Last edited:
I think calling it THE Ferrari is very bold. The car now has something serious to live up to. And to me, it's not the prettiest car ever made, but dear lord it looks like it's saying, "I'm here to fuck shit up."

And that video on the LaFerrari site was pretty awesome.

I actually like the front and the split in the front, nicely paying homage to the 61 and 62 F1 cars, but I hate the back, and since that's where I'm most probably gonna see one, as it's screaming away on the autobahn, I'd prefer it to be the other way around. Single circular lights just don't work on an ass like that.

Has the official weight been revealed yet? Most probably it will be around 1.2 tons which means around 750-800 hp/ton...the P1 has 600...:shock:

Has the official weight been revealed yet? Most probably it will be around 1.2 tons which means around 750-800 hp/ton...the P1 has 600...:shock:

Dry weight is 1250kg. 100kg lighter than an enzo.

Bah! Throw some tires from the LaFerrari onto an Enzo and this stat means nothing!

Yeah, just look at the 3 seconds they shaved off the Avantime's time on top gear with just super sticky tyres! And plus, to shave 5 secs off a really short race track is sooo easy I mean karting drivers (which race on the tinies of them) always improve 2 seconds at a time so yeah no big deal.

Last edited:
You know what I've just thought of? Everyone hates the "LaFerrari" name, everyone hated the "F150" name and everyone wanted this car to be called the "F70"...this car cannot be called the F70 because both the F40 and F50 were named to commemorate the company's 40th and 50th anniversary (give or take a couple of years in the F50's case)...this car isn't coming out in 2017 and the Enzo didn't come out in 2007 so it couldn't be called the F60. ;) Has anyone here thought of this before?

Last edited:
Isn't dry weight a bit pointless? It'll never be that weight when you actually drive it (liquids and driver). The effective weight is prolly ~1400kg.

Last edited:
You know what I've just thought of? Everyone hates the "LaFerrari" name, everyone hated the "F150" name and everyone wanted this car to be called the "F70"...this car cannot be called the F70 because both the F40 and F50 were named to commemorate the company's 40th and 50th anniversary (give or take a couple of years in the F50's case)...this car isn't coming out in 2017 and the Enzo didn't come out in 2007 so it couldn't be called the F60. ;) Has anyone here thought of this before?

Ferrari hasn't used the "F" exclusively to commemorate anniversaries. In fact, they've used it seemingly randomly on half of the cars since 90s. And speaking of logic, since when is degree sign used to to express years? I'm sorry, but naming logic and Ferrari (most of manufacturers, really) doesn't work any more.

I think it's correct to make up new names rather than recycle them, the main objection here is that LaFerrari sounds so unbelievably stupid :)

Isn't dry weight a bit pointless? It'll never be that weight when you actually drive it (liquids and driver). The effective weight is prolly ~1400kg.

Well the latest number for "curb weight" (including all fluids, full tank of fuel, no passengers) is 1300 kg so, yes, with an average driver that would be just under 1400 kg. Dry weight is still a way to compare cars since comparable cars will usually have the same weight of fluids.

Ferrari hasn't used the "F" exclusively to commemorate anniversaries. In fact, they've used it seemingly randomly on half of the cars since 90s. And speaking of logic, since when is degree sign used to to express years? I'm sorry, but naming logic and Ferrari (most of manufacturers, really) doesn't work any more.

I think it's correct to make up new names rather than recycle them, the main objection here is that LaFerrari sounds so unbelievably stupid :)

Obviously the "F" in the name doesn't always mean an anniversary..it's the number (40, 50) and I don't think it's random because they either use it for the flagship anniversary models or every other "entry level (not including the California)" model: F355, 360 Modena, F430, 458 Italia...see the pattern? ;) If they stick to it the 458's successor will start with "F".

The only model I can think of that has a degree sign is the 150? Italia F1 car from 2011 and I don't think that means years unless Ferrari started in 1861. :p

Obviously the "F" in the name doesn't always mean an anniversary..it's the number (40, 50) and I don't think it's random because they either use it for the flagship anniversary models or every other "entry level (not including the California)" model: F355, 360 Modena, F430, 458 Italia...see the pattern? ;) If they stick to it the 458's successor will start with "F".

You found a pattern in 4 examples, and you had to make one exception at that (F12)? No, I don't see a pattern, I call that a massive leap of logic :p

The only model I can think of that has a degree sign is the 150? Italia F1 car from 2011 and I don't think that means years unless Ferrari started in 1861. :p

It's the 150th anniversary of Italian unification. They named it F150 first, then due to pressure from Ford changed it to F150th and finally 150? Italia. Just saying that LaFerrari is not the first stupid name they've done.

Last edited:

It's the 150th anniversary of Italian unification. They named it F150 first, then due to pressure from Ford changed it to F150th and finally 150? Italia. Just saying that LaFerrari is not the first stupid name they've done.

The "?" in written Italian, is used for ordinal numbers, so in the case of 150? it translates to 150th.

Please don't start trying to justify the name. You'll never win that debate.

I hope it at least sounds better in Italian. Because in English it's the dumbest fucking name anyone has ever come up with.