News: Ferrari F70 - The Enzo successor [LaFerrari]

Carbon fiber is somewhat brittle, if the car had a moderate impact it's possible that you'd have to replace the entire tub?

Carbon fiber is somewhat brittle, if the car had a moderate impact it's possible that you'd have to replace the entire tub?
I am taking this information out of my ass, but AFAIK, they don't use "pure" carbon fiber, they put other fibers so it is not as brittle. Aramid, if I am not mistaken, is used on structural parts so they have some flex.

The fibres themselves whether glass, carbon or aramid give so compressive strength; only tension. The toughness, how brittle it is, is a function of the matrix used. There are all sorts of wonderful epoxies and hardeners and resins. So, there's plenty of scope for a very tough or brittle composite piece.

Generally, composites will absorb a lot of energy before failure. Most of the time that will be a catastrophic failure where all the energy is released at once, almost exploding, which gives the impression of a brittle material. Composites are far from brittle.

That's been a recurring trend among supercar accidents. The normal car involved always came away looking more intact. Now the great unwashed often comment "haha you sold your kidney for that car and it can't even handle a crash haha", but my first thought would be that the more the car crumples, the safer the driver.

I'm not sure if that is the case with the recent supercar accidents or if it has something to do with the structural properties of CF.

That's been a recurring trend among supercar accidents. The normal car involved always came away looking more intact. Now the great unwashed often comment "haha you sold your kidney for that car and it can't even handle a crash haha", but my first thought would be that the more the car crumples, the safer the driver.

I'm not sure if that is the case with the recent supercar accidents or if it has something to do with the structural properties of CF.

IIRC, Volvo did crash tests that showed that a taller vehicle will do better (it essentially drives *over* the other vehicle), even if it's lighter than the lower vehicle. The low ride height of most supercars could be a factor.

I can't even imagine why a Golf made of bendy metal would come off looking that much better than the composite car in a crash...

1. more mass
2. you can't actually see the extent of the damage done to the golf from that angle
3. accident circumstances

I never understood this obsession with reporting and discussing hypercar crashes, seriously what is the point?

I never understood this obsession with reporting and discussing hypercar crashes, seriously what is the point?

Envy.
Jealousy.
Gloating.
:shrug:

Quoted for posterity when you mention a P1 crash.

Look at the vide about the outside tyre moving around is this the much anticipated la ferrari Fxx testing with indepented rear streer.