News: Ferrari F70 - The Enzo successor [LaFerrari]

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V
Turbocharged too. Twinturbo infact. Been a long time since Fezza used a turbo. WANT!

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sc/schumacherm/2009/12/24/car_photo_344527_25.jpg

It?s being hailed as the ultimate, most advanced road car Ferrari has ever made. Aiming to leave exotic rivals including the Lamborghini Revent?n and Bugatti Veyron trailing, the ferocious flagship will break from the norm in more ways than one. And our stunning illustrations show how such a model could look.

It will be not only quicker and more focused than the Enzo, but smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, too. In addition, the latest rumours suggest a twin-turbo V8 will provide the power. It will be the first use of turbos in a production Ferrari since the 1987 F40, making this the spiritual successor to that definitive hypercar.

Internally codenamed the F70, the newcomer will use knowledge gathered from the FXX scheme. This invited customers to buy a pumped-up and stripped-out version of the Enzo for ?1.5million, but allowed them to drive their purchases only on approved track days. Afterwards, they briefed Ferrari on possible improvements.

The philosophy behind this new downsized and lightweight hypercar is derived from 2007?s Millechilli concept. Although little more than a fibreglass model, it demonstrated Ferrari?s aim to increase the performance of future models by shedding weight, not by hiking power. Millechilli means 1,000kg in Italian. It?s an ambitious target for the F70?s kerbweight ? a full 365kg less than the Enzo ? but Ferrari is ready to apply every weight-saving measure possible.

Rival McLaren is leading the way in lightweight construction, with an F1-style carbon fibre tub forming the basis of its MP4-12C supercar, so Ferrari wants to regain the initiative in this area. An overhauled and shrunken tub, carbon fibre body panels ? plus carbon-ceramic brakes and a no-frills cabin ? should keep weight to a minimum. Ferrari already heads efforts to reduce CO2, having slashed output by 10 per cent in 2009. It promises further cuts from its current 387g/km average by 2012.

But reducing body mass alone won?t be enough to achieve this. To slash CO2 significantly, the engine also needs an advanced design. The Enzo?s V12 will make way for a new direct-injection twin-turbo V8 ? the same layout as in the legendary F40. Output is likely to be on a par with the Enzo?s 660bhp, but that lower weight should put performance on another level. Expect a three-second 0-60mph time and top speed in excess of 230mph.

A twin-turbo V6 is also under consideration, to replace the 458 Italia and California?s V8s. Yet before either unit is signed off, engineers are keen to eliminate turbo lag. The F40 was famous for the delay between throttle inputs and the arrival of a savage wave of torque. But Ferrari claims it won?t resort to turbos again until it?s perfected the technology to give the instant response for which its naturally aspirated cars are renowned.

One option is electric or hybrid chargers. These use a small electric motor to spool the turbos up to operating speeds much faster than in a normal set-up, where exhaust gas has to be recirculated. The result is a virtual elimination of turbo lag and a linear power delivery that will be familiar to owners of current Ferraris.

Just like the Enzo, the F70 will be strictly limited to a production run of 399 examples, adhering to Ferrari?s philosophy of always building one less car than you think you can sell. But not just anyone will be able to put their name on the waiting list. Buyers will need to be personally invited by Ferrari to stump up the expected million (?600,000) asking price when the car goes on sale in 2012.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/245479/ferrari_f70_blasts_in.html#ixzz0adSuG6YB

before you say anything, that's an Auto Express render, capiche?

1000kg?

Fuck yes.

Perhaps that's why it looks like a F430 rear-ended a Zonda? Really, I don't think Ferrari/Pinnafarina would go that direction with their design language.

But a twin turbo'd Ferrari sounds like sex.

Obviously it will never look like that, but it still looks good (although the rear has come straight from the Enzo).

Obviously, will wait until we see final design to make a final opinion, but at this point... meh. It will be another techno-filled car that you don't really drive, it drives you.

I really don't think you would complain about that if you got a chance to drive one. Srsly.

I find myself strangely aroused by the idea of a twin turbo V8. Perhaps it's just because I always thought the F40 was more of a lust object than the F50 and Enzo. Since Ferrari's styling department has been improving recently as well - Mmmmmm...458 Italia - I'm getting rather excited about this one. Can't wait to drive it...in a video game of some sort.

I am curious why Auto Express gave it the grille of an old Nissan.

I don't like the idea of a TT-V8, not that i'll ever own one or are even the target market but I think they should stick with the response that a N/A V12 provides.

Oh and that render is ugly as hell.

the limited numbers figure means nothing. They'll build one for whoever has the money. According to I think it was Keith Martin, there are at least 406 confirmed Enzos out on the streets today

I said " no way " when I first saw the picture. It surely doesn't mean much right now though.

I'd normally sigh at all the extreme amounts of technology they want to cram everywhere but Ferrari knows how to do it well, and their working on making it much lighter too so thumbs up so far from me.

For the guys who are claiming that Ferraris are now rubbish because of too much technology - the little manettino switch can turn it all off, it's not like a Merc where you can't turn driver aids off completely. So it does have a very good use - it prevents (some) rubbish drivers from crashing.
The article might be made of fail, it's only speculations.
Also,if it does recieve a twin turbo V8 after all, just imagine the POWAH. Serious case of DO WANT.

It's just a render... :rolleyes:

the limited numbers figure means nothing. They'll build one for whoever has the money. According to I think it was Keith Martin, there are at least 406 confirmed Enzos out on the streets today

Okay, so if they've built 7 cars more than originally promised. That means they've actually exceeded the production by 2 %.
So yeah, Enzo for everyone who wants one.

It looks like a ugly transformer.....

+1 for the F40 look!

I'm sure it'll be technically incredible, fast, and will handle like a telepathic mosquito on cocaine but... Once again it's a Ferrari that's far too pompous and self-important for me to like. Limited production invitation only is fine for the elite. It just makes everyone else in the world hate you.
Even if I had the cash I'd take the inferior Lambo.
Then any time I saw one of these, kick the driver's head in and sleep with his trophy wife.
/dreams