Ferrari Leave Formula 1

Gibby

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta ST & Triumph TR7
According to Sky News TV Ferrari have quit Formula 1? Anyone else heard about this?

It's crap. They say they will leave if the rules stay as they are. It's all just bluffs and elbowing for position from each side. I confidently predict that 9/10 teams will still be in F1 next year (with Toyota being the exception).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75277

Ferrari threatens to leave Formula 1

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, May 12th 2009, 14:53 GMT

Ferrari has confirmed that it will not enter next year's world championship unless plans for a voluntary ?40 million budget cap are changed.

Although the team has expressed private reservations about the rule changes and governing processes for 2010, it finally confirmed its intentions in a statement issued following a board meeting at Maranello on Tuesday afternoon.

"The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the FOTA's endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future," said the statement.

"If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship."

More to follow

They haven't definitively said they'll leave yet, just that if nothing is done to the budget cap then they will leave.

Yer might have been abit rash there, here is an artical from BBC F1:

Ferrari 'to quit' over budget row
Ferrari have announced they will quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to adopt a ?40m budget cap from 2010.

"No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change," read a statement. "Ferrari does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship."

More to follow.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8044860.stm

Yeah, it's all part of the game..

Max and Bernie cannot, contrary to what they keep saying themselves, afford to lose Ferrari. Ferrari knows this. FIA are going to change the rules, and Ferrari will participate next year...

It's just Max Mosley's strategy - put forth a suggestions that he knows is over the top, and then act like the good guy when he then offers a more appropriate compromise.. The teams feel like they've dodged a bullet, Max gets what he wants, everybody's happy.

Let's just say IF... IF Max/Bernie/FIA refuse to back down... damn Ferrari's really going to be gone. :|

I think Bernie sad it, Ferrari is F1, F1 is Ferrari.

It's an overstatement, but you certainly shouldn't neglect Ferrari's influence on F1 and vice versa. The Ferrari brand is better known than the F1 brand even.. Ferrari supposedly has even more fans than all the rest of the teams put together.

Ferrari is immensely important, and FIA would be stupid to just not care about them leaving.

Ready?!

Ferrari to withdraw from Formula One

Ferrari have announced they are to withdraw from Formula One next season.

The Italian team will pull out of the sport because of a dispute with the governing body, the FIA, over its plans to introduce a ?40million budget cap from next season.

"Ferrari confirms its opposition to the new technical regulations adopted by the FIA and does not intend entering its cars in the 2010 F1 Championship," a statement read on Ferrari's website.

Ferrari claim the changes violate the terms of a 2005 contract they signed committing themselves to the championship until the end of 2012, terms that include a ?right of veto? on any technical regulation change.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6274756.ece

Same thing on CNN.com under "Breaking".

Last edited:
You know what?
I want to see FIA call their bluff.
However I think the budget cap will be set at 100 000 000? instead of 40 000 000?. Cheap as soap, no? :|

You know what?
I want to see FIA call their bluff.
However I think the budget cap will be set at 100 000 000? instead of 40 000 000?. Cheap as soap, no? :|

There is no bluff, Ferrari said they quit, so did Toyota, 7/10 teams excluding Brawns, Williams and India said they won't participate under 2-tier system.

Last edited:
Its gonna be fun next season watching Brawn, Williams and Force India battle it out, because at the moment that is all there is going to be!

There is no bluff, Ferrari said they quit, so did Toyota, 7 teams excluding Brawns, Williams and India said they won't participate under 2-tier system.

Words without actions = meaningless shit.
That's why politicians are so hated.

There's nothing I would like to see more that FIA to call all their bluff. Budget cap should be made mandatory. To everyone. That'll shut them up about raceing in a series with two sets of rules. See if they carry out their threats. :)

F1 = priceless advertizing.

There is no bluff, Ferrari said they quit, so did Toyota, 7/10 teams excluding Brawns, Williams and India said they won't participate under 2-tier system.

It is a bluff. Toyota may pull out, but this will simply be an excuse. At a push I can see Renault and BMW pulling out but again that will be for economic reasons and this will simply be an excuse. Every other team will still be competing next year.

It is a bluff. Toyota may pull out, but this will simply be an excuse. At a push I can see Renault and BMW pulling out but again that will be for economic reasons and this will simply be an excuse. Every other team will still be competing next year.

We only need to wait a little over two weeks to find out...

Problem, is FIA ready to risc Ferrari leaving just to force through a budget cap? The stakes are very high, why would they just try and "call their bluff"? They're gonna change the rules, and the team will participate. I'll bet money on that :p

The article about the issue on CNN.com says, that 40 000 000? is about the third of Ferrari's budget. If the cap is raised to ?100m, and by the new rules it excludes driver's salaries, engine costs and RnD, it will round up pretty nicely. I am surprised Ferrari's budget is only ?120m (or around $190m).

Last edited:
We allready saw what happened to Honda. "We want more profit, F1 is eating too much money..." "Good bye."
I can see why FIA wants to have more teams that are depending on F1. Teams that are in F1 for racing, teams that are defined by F1. Right now the majority of the teams are in F1 for the wrong reasons so to speak.

Frank Williams said it best.
"Stepping out from F1 is not even an option for us. F1 is what we do."
That is why I say Ferrari is only bluffing. Only factory teams don't need F1. BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Renault.

Problem, is FIA ready to risc Ferrari leaving just to force through a budget cap? The stakes are very high, why would they just try and "call their bluff"? They're gonna change the rules, and the team will participate. I'll bet money on that :p

I think and hope the budget cap will be 100 000 000? and it will be mandatory.

Last edited:
This is going to be headlines every tomorrow. I can already visualise what's going to be on my morning paper's front page.