Ferrari most important team in F1!

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
Says Max Mosley. Must say I do agree with him :D
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/156392-0/mosley_ferrari_most_important_team_in_f1.html

Max Mosley has finally admitted what many have suspected for a long time ?
Ferrari is held in higher respect by the FIA than grand prix racing's ten other teams.

The president of Formula 1's governing body was asked in an interview with the official F1 site whether Ferrari was more important for the sport than other teams.

?Yes,? he replied. ?Firstly, because it holds a historically important position, as the team has been involved in Formula 1 since 1950. The second point has something to do with existential orientation; imagine there were only one British team and all other teams were Italian, that the commercial rights-holder was Italian, as was the FIA President, the race director and his assistant and the sport's commissioner. Wouldn't it be understandable that this team would be very careful??

Although there have long been many who consider there to be one rule in F1 for Ferrari and another for everyone else ? as evinced only last week by former world champion Damon Hill in light of the punishments meted out to McLaren this year ? Mosley insisted all decision were made from an entirely neutral standpoint, and underlined the importance of ?protecting' Ferrari's vulnerability.

?I use my neutrality with a huge amount of responsibility and stay in close contact with Ferrari to assure them that no British ?mafia' or cartel tries to take advantage of them,? he stressed. ?But should we find it necessary to impose our technical or sporting regulations, then Ferrari is treated like any other team. Should we find irregularities on a Ferrari ? like the moveable floor after the Australian Grand Prix ? it is removed and banned.?

In the same interview, Mosley also acknowledged the fact he has a very different relationship with McLaren boss Ron Dennis to the one he shares with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo

?[Ron and I] phone once in a while,? he said. ?Personally I have no problems with Ron, but otherwise there are differing positions. With di Montezemolo it is different. He is chairman of Fiat and president of Italian business lobby Confindustria.

?I have known Luca longer and therefore better than Ron. Indeed I've known Ron since 1970, but I became really acquainted with him at the end of the eighties, whereas I have known Luca very well since the beginning of the seventies. My relationship with him is very personal.?

The second point has something to do with existential orientation; imagine there were only one British team and all other teams were Italian, that the commercial rights-holder was Italian, as was the FIA President, the race director and his assistant and the sport's commissioner. Wouldn't it be understandable that this team would be very careful??

No. As long as that British team complied with the rules then there should be no issue. Ferrari bring a lot of issues on themselves with their political stances (they opposed several proposals that would develop the sport into a more streamlined, cheaper business purely out of selfish reasons. An example of this is the testing restrictions proposed by the teams in 2003. Everyone signed, except Ferrari because they wanted to make use of their own private test track. The current Ferrari regime (Montezemolo and Todt) do not consider the good of the sport in their decision making. They're pious and arrogant, (ooh, McLaren lost the championship due to their operational policies...what the hell? What a hypocritical statement seeing as Ferrari raced their two drivers as well) and totally out of touch with the needs of F1 and its sickening the way Mosely constantly bends over to their demands.

I think all the other teams are reasonably fair towards Ferrari, and there is no reason why they should be given preferential treatment. It just reeks of favouritism which Maranello don't even need. Hell, the other teams all pay a certain amount to Ferrari just for their presence. If anything, Ferrari owes them, not the other way round.

Vulerable my arse.

Last edited:
What a steaming pile of bullshit. F1 is bigger than Ferrari - it would survive just fine without them. To see Max spouting this tripe is just further proof of why the stupid old fart needs to go - now.

Every day I get up, look over the forums and get my share of Max Mosley bullshit...I'm getting slightly sick of it...the guy should seriously step down...

^ It's hard to imagine it - but I equally couldn't imagine F1 without McLaren or Williams.

To be honest - if F1 was to lose Ferrari, I wouldn't miss their presence as much as I would the other teams I've mentioned.

I don't think any team, including ferrari should be threated "better" than the others. But if you guys can try and be a bit neutral, can you really imagine Formula 1 without Ferrari?

Nope. :thumbup:

Max is right, of all the teams, Ferrari is the most important to F1, simple fact. The Ferrari haters will never accept this and jump on Max's comments as proof of more bias. Like it or not, all big F1 teams are political and all act out of self interest, not just Ferrari.

He's also right about the dominance of British influence in the sport, no other nation comes close in that respect.

^ It's hard to imagine it - but I equally couldn't imagine F1 without McLaren or Williams.

To be honest - if F1 was to lose Ferrari, I wouldn't miss their presence as much as I would the other teams I've mentioned.

I don't think anyone should be surprised if Williams disappear, whilst have a rich trophy closet, they have been in a sorry state for the past several years. They improved this year, but unless they get their act together they will get weaker and weaker, and then the vultures will start circling.

In short, don't be too surprised if Williams dissappear from F1 in the next decade or so, assuming the team fails to improve.

^ Some of that may be true - but it doesn't change the fact that I'd miss Williams more than I would miss Ferrari.

^ Some of that may be true - but it doesn't change the fact that I'd miss Williams more than I would miss Ferrari.

I wasn't questioning your personal opinion mate :p

Just that Williams really need to start getting more competitive, they're slowly slipping down the grid.

But if you guys can try and be a bit neutral, can you really imagine Formula 1 without Ferrari?

Yes. I'm sure we'd grow accustomed to it. Its not Ferrari I have a problem with, I just dont like their management. The race team would be just like any other found at McLaren, Williams or Spyker. Its just that when Ferrari win, they can't help but to rub everyone's noses in it. When they lose, they're even worse.

Alex Wurz needs to launch a challenge for his job.

+1

And the sport would probably improve without Ferrari.

Yes. I'm sure we'd grow accustomed to it. Its not Ferrari I have a problem with, I just dont like their management. The race team would be just like any other found at McLaren, Williams or Spyker. Its just that when Ferrari win, they can't help but to rub everyone's noses in it. When they lose, they're even worse.

If anyone was rubbing their noses in it this season, it was Mclaren, as this little clip shows:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVE_tlvyH4

In comparison, I thought Ferrari were quite humble this year ;)

When you get team owners saying they are more important then the series you end up with a split series.

F1 without Ferrari vs a Ferrari only F1 series?

When you get team owners saying they are more important then the series you end up with a split series.

F1 without Ferrari vs a Ferrari only F1 series?

You mean A1GP? :p.

That said, I hate how people say Ferrari is the most important team in F1. The only thing it is important for, is having the biggest fan base to suck money out of, and that is it. Max makes it quite clear where his loyalties lie in that interview.

If you want to read the whole interview go to www.formula1.com > news > interviews. The whole thing is in there.

Max is an idiot, this is not new news.

Ferrari can go to A1GP. Shit team in a shit series :lol:

Reactions: TC
What a steaming pile of bullshit. F1 is bigger than Ferrari - it would survive just fine without them. To see Max spouting this tripe is just further proof of why the stupid old fart needs to go - now.

Yes. I'm sure we'd grow accustomed to it. Its not Ferrari I have a problem with, I just dont like their management. The race team would be just like any other found at McLaren, Williams or Spyker.

I agree with both those comments, but I have a question to propose.

F1 can survive without Ferrari, but can Ferrari survive without F1?

I agree with both those comments, but I have a question to propose.

F1 can survive without Ferrari, but can Ferrari survive without F1?

They have a thriving production car brand, so in a word yes.